Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked on craigslist, & see over 600 bikes for sale of various brands. Some have been listed 2 months. Friend sold a used Road King for -$3,000.00 below book. Seems used Harley's are really heading down! Saw some really great deals on all brands. whats the market near you? I called a guy on a used '14 Spyder who had it listed for 1-1/2 months, & said I was the only one who talked to him. Brutal time to sell a bike- great buyers market.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
been this way for over a year...

friend got a 2015 Can Am 2 months ago... with 2,000 miles... 5k under bluebook.. was for sale over a year...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Agreed. Used bikes are everywhere. It is a buyers market for sure. I have had a Honda Valkyrie for sale for over a year and it took me a year to sell a Yamaha 650. But isn't it fun to look at all the used bikes that are for sale and make a wish list? Reminds me of when I was a kid and got to look at the new Sears Roebuck catalog every year.

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
Hopefully there will always be a Riding community....but here seems many for what ever reason are turning away...I wish I was in better health ..market here is a buyers dream.......:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
many that want to ride.. but have issues are going the 3 wheel route..

Harley Trike
Wing Trike
Can Am
are everywhere down here.

3 years ago.. there was 1 trike in our group.... now there are 4... and 2 stopped riding completely.

·
Super Moderator
63,682 Posts
actually, the HD crash started over 10 years ago when Harley opened up the new plants to meet their demand finally. Before, you had to get on a wait list to buy a new Harley and that list at it's peak was over 2 years. The used Harley market was as good or better than MSRP and this kept the metric used prices up as well! The new plants opened up and then once they caught up that list you could walk in and buy bike off the floor no waiting. Then the used bike priices started falling and falling

·
Registered
601 Posts
Another reason I think that is hurting used bike prices is because we live in a easy credit society where lots of new bikes were sold, buyers took the easy route, just sign and ride. When a owner/seller decides to sell his used bike it's harder because a buyer if he doesn't have cash and needs a loan, he doesn't want to do the legwork/title/paperwork to get a loan when it comes to buying a used bike, this hurts the prices where the owner/seller has to lower the price to attract buyers. A dealership has an advantage when selling a used bike because they have a finance person on site to handle loan applications and do the title/paperwork.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Have my wife's fist bike for sale over a year, only interest in it is people wanting my bank account number so they can direct deposit funds.

2004 Honda VLX 600, which is a great starter bike that gets 60 mpg.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Trend will increase

All indicators are our economy is due for another crash. When this happens people will flood the market with bikes for sale at unheard of prices. Wish I had more room in my garage, but I already own two street bikes. . .

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
All indicators are our economy is due for another crash. When this happens people will flood the market with bikes for sale at unheard of prices. Wish I had more room in my garage, but I already own two street bikes. . .
Good grief, since the Great Depression of 1929, the US economy crashes about every 10 years. Anybody who is surprised by the next economic crash, well, is a ......... Our economy is built upon the concept of infinite expansion which just simply can't happen, and when it stops happening there is a correction. You don't need any super complicated equations, graphs, or economic indicators, you simply have to know how to look at a calendar.

But on the other hand, House is right, the next crash will be a big opportunity for those who are prepared. Strategy, save your money for 10 years and then clean up for 2 to 3 years; new house, new cars, new motorcycles.....etc. Well too late for this round, we are in year 10, so if you're not ready, you'll have to wait for the next one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Looked on craigslist, & see over 600 bikes for sale of various brands. Some have been listed 2 months. Friend sold a used Road King for -$3,000.00 below book. Seems used Harley's are really heading down! Saw some really great deals on all brands. whats the market near you? I called a guy on a used '14 Spyder who had it listed for 1-1/2 months, & said I was the only one who talked to him. Brutal time to sell a bike- great buyers market.
I've found a buyers market as well, especially for bigger cruisers like the VTX..... Millennials aren't riding as much and those people that want cruisers still want Harley's even with the reliability issues and the inflated price tag....

In my area there are at least 20 VTX 1800's within 100 of me and most have been sitting for sale for months.... I paid 4K for mine with every accessory known to man and only 18k miles.... Most of the rest were listed for 5k-6k and they aren't moving.....

·
Registered
790 Posts
The cheap bikes are everywhere. Down Under, bikes second hand are worth nothing as well. Wage growth has stagnated and house prices have gone backwards in the two main cities and the second hand sales sites on the web are flooded with goods. The stock market here is at an all time high. The gap between the rich and poor is widening at an unprecedented rate. As mentioned before lots of people living on credit to have the latest. Save ya money, cash is becoming king and those who have over extended are or will pay the price.

I have three road bikes and biding my time to pick up a forth.

·
Registered
8,580 Posts
interest in motorcycles is dying. NVM specious claims of economic instability no one wants to ride anymore. Electronics are more interesting than two wheels to people under 40 today and I do not see that changing.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
interest in motorcycles is dying. NVM specious claims of economic instability no one wants to ride anymore. Electronics are more interesting than two wheels to people under 40 today and I do not see that changing.
You'd be right. My story is probably anecdotal but still worth saying. I have three millennial sons. My wife was vehemently opposed to me buying a motorcycle because I'd set a bad example for the boys. I am sure if I ever sell it, they won't even notice anything is missing in the garage. Such is their lack of interest in bikes. And it's not just bikes. They are not particularly interested in cars either beyond its value as a vehicle. The internet has killed them all. But we're not immune either. Over the course of a year, how much time do you spend online vs. riding your bike?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have three millennial sons. My wife was vehemently opposed to me buying a motorcycle because I'd set a bad example for the boys. I am sure if I ever sell it, they won't even notice anything is missing in the garage. Such is their lack of interest in bikes. The internet has killed them all. But we're not immune either. Over the course of a year, how much time do you spend online vs. riding your bike?
The motorcycle manufacturers better face facts, there's nothing they can do to attract the coming generation to motorcycles. Instead of trying to push bikes on the market, they should start shrinking there product lines. Only a small percent will have interest in motorcycles.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I looked at trading down my Road king last winter. Wish I would have moved on a Kawasaki version of the RK, but.....
The hope was to get a little $$ back and a little less bike. Seeing a lot of bikes listed privately and at dealers for book value but selling 2, 3k under or more. Bad part is my harley is not bringing much for trade. And yes they are doing all kinds of incentives to go new, but ouch, 20k or more for a bike. Some crazy deals have come by, but they get taken pretty quick

In the long run. My wife started going with me again, so glad i still have a big touring frame bike

·
Registered
533 Posts
The motorcycle manufacturers better face facts, there's nothing they can do to attract the coming generation to motorcycles. Instead of trying to push bikes on the market, they should start shrinking there product lines. Only a small percent will have interest in motorcycles.
Don't really like to hear what you said but I agree with it. Honda and Yamaha has already began shrinking their product lines. Don't think either one offers anything between the Venture/Goldwing and the 950cc size bikes anymore. I guess it is a good thing I plan to keep my bikes a long as I can ride.

·
Registered
945 Posts
There isn't another bike I would take over mine. It is a fun ride and I love the look, sound and handling.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts