Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Motorcycling has been promoted as a hobby, but for some of us it's a way of life. I couldn't imagine being without access to one or more motorcycles. In fact I've owned more than one at a time for forty years because I dread the thought of having to use four wheels because my bike is not running. The majority of my riding is simply a means of transportation, though I sometimes ride for the sake of riding. Young people don't want a hobby that requires maintenance, a special license, and any kind of discomfort, particularly the discomfort of not being able to text, participate in social networks, and browse the Internet 24/7. Back in the old days, being a biker was cool. Now it's like having an ugly appendage for many young people. The only members of my family, beside me, who are interested in motorcycles and who also ride are my eldest son and my sister. None of my cousins or grand children give a squat about motorcycles. Let's face it, we are a dying breed.

·
Registered
28,571 Posts
Motorcycling has been promoted as a hobby, but for some of us it's a way of life.
Let's face it, we are a dying breed.
I have to agree.

I was a Late Bloomer, didn't start riding 'till 05.
Bought an Aero to save on gas, and that was all she wrote.
60,000 miles in 3 years.

Bought a leftover 07 1300 X, in 08.
128,000 in 8 years.

Found my current bike, a leftover 14 Yamaha 1300 Tourer in 2017.
just over 20 K in 2 years.
(Guess I'm gettin' old, & slowing down.)

After my 07 died I picked up an 05 1300 X, but got it at such a low price, I rode it a little then flipped it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Young people don't want a hobby that requires maintenance, a special license, and any kind of discomfort, particularly the discomfort of not being able to text, participate in social networks, and browse the Internet 24/7. Now it's like having an ugly appendage for many young people. The only members of my family, beside me, who are interested in motorcycles and who also ride are my eldest son and my sister. None of my cousins or grand children give a squat about motorcycles.
Well said. When the cell phones came along that were able to connect to the internet it started changing younger people and the culture. It's an addiction that has taken over their lives over everything else. Motorcycle companies have better realize this and understand that the industry is dying because of this and there's not much they can do about it.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts