Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 1300 on a great deal. A 2005 with 1800 miles, it’s going to be the wife’s bike. :lol:

Here’s the rub, it has a set of V&H pipes with a quiet pack and was jetted. It’s still pretty loud and she is not into the sound AT ALL. The stock pipes/jets came with it. In addition it runs pretty poorly, spittin’ and sputterin’ for the first 20 minutes of a ride before it settles down to noticeable hiccup when lightly accelerating. The previous owner says to me “It’s a Honda…they all do that.” Excuse me? This is my fourth Honda and none of them “do that”. :roll: I paid him very little money and took his bike.

Anyway…Do you guys think any damage has been done? If we re-install the stock pipes and jets will it run as new?

·
Registered
388 Posts
have you checked to see if the pair valve was removed on the bike? That could be a large source of the noise and spitting you hear, or it could be a small exhaust leak if the exhaust gaskets were not replaced.

It is hard to hurt these engines. Pull the plugs and see what color they are, new plugs may make a difference as well.

If she wants to get rid of the loud pipes, you could put stock back on without a problem. OR, she could invest in some ear plugs to help tone down the noise.

·
Registered
349 Posts
+1 on everyting ims598 said.

One other note, if the pair valve removal was done, take off one of the block-off plates and make sure the reed was removed. Some have mistakenly left the reed in place but the screws that hold it prevent the block-off plate from making a good seal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Since your wife doesn't like the sound, and you have the stock pipes, you should probably start by just putting the stock pipes back on. Make sure you use new gaskets. The V & H pipes didn't require a rejet, so putting the stock pipes back on doesn't take long, since you dont have to put the stock jets back in - as long as you have the stock mounting bracket as well.

Since the carb was re-jetted, even though it probably didn't need to be, there is a good chance that it was not done right. If putting the stock pipes back on doesn't settle it out you may need to have the carb tuned correctly.

Also make sure you run low Octane fuel (87) otherwise it won't run right.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same bike and have Vance and Hines cruzers with baffles. I had the carb rejetted only to find out from the knowledgeable people on this forum that I didnt have to rejet it. The carb is being put back stock as we speak. And no, it doesnt just sputter and cough as the other guy said. After I put on the V&H pipes, but before I had it rejetted, it ran absolutely perfect with no noises whatsoever. Having it rejetted also made it quite a bit louder, so if you have your carb put back stock, it will quiet it down some also. I would start there, and if its still too loud, then go back with the stock pipes. Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts