Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just had to pick up my 2003 vtx1300 from the garage. When i left, they said i needed to use more choke because it was foggy.

When i got home (around 6 km) i still wasn't able to push the choke back. I'm pretty sure this is not normal and they told me a lie...

My motorcycle was stored outside, it's very foggy and its cold (around 3°C). Did they screw something up or adjust my carb setting wrong?

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Fog has zero to do with whether to use the "choke" or not, but excess cold does. The 1300 VTX doesn't actually have a "choke" in the true sense of the term, it has a fuel enrich knob. Since the 1300 doesn't have fuel injection, it was designed with the enrichment knob to add more fuel flow into the carbs when the engine and air temps are exceptionally cold. The VTX is set lean from the factory, so it doesn't take too cold a temperature to need to pull the enrichment knob during warm-up.

Once your bike/engine has warmed up, you need to push the enrichment knob back in, (closed position) otherwise your bike will be running too rich, and this fouls the plugs. How long you need to keep the enrichment knob pulled out, (adding extra fuel) and how far out it needs to be pulled depends on how far you ride and how cold it is. Once your bike is warmed up, you should be able to push the "choke" (enrichment knob) back in/closed, and have it run smoothly (no studdering or hesitation when giving it throttle).

If your bike can't run when it's warm without the enrich knob pulled open, the air/fuel mix is incorrect and you need to correct it.

·
Old Goat
26,439 Posts
Good luck…Me thinks someone is jerking your choke chain…..but HOP makes sense….

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you HOP.
Guess i need to adjust the carb settings then. Any advice on how to do this properly? Do i need to do this when temperature is not as cold? How do i find the right combination of air fuel mixture and idle speed?

·
Old Goat
26,439 Posts
I closed my AF …then backed it out 2 1/2 turns….Im sure the temp..may be different there …but my bike runs great…good luck

Reactions: Jens Boedt

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Thank you HOP.
Guess i need to adjust the carb settings then. Any advice on how to do this properly? Do i need to do this when temperature is not as cold? How do i find the right combination of air fuel mixture and idle speed?
If your bike was running right when you brought it to the "garage" or you paid for your bike to be tuned up by the "garage" and it isn't running right, bring it back and demand they fix it. It isn't clear how you reached the conclusion that your bike needs Air/fuel adjustment. If you're confident you rode the bike long enough warm up the engine in the cold temps, and the bike can't run right without the enrichment knob pulled out, then it's running too lean and you need to fix it or get it fixed.

Google is your 'friend' when it comes to getting advice on motorcycles and how to work on what. Google; VTX 1300 runs lean and see what advice you get, for instance here is just one link I found:

My 07 VTX 1300 is running lean. How do I adjust th... - Fixya.

Many of the tips will come from this sites archives, so do your own research on your bike and you'll find a wealth of advice and how to tips.

This image below is from a quick Google search and will help you follow TennX's advice (previous post) if you choose to try it).

Automotive tire Fluid Automotive lighting Bumper Font

I wasn't happy with how long it took me to warm up my 1300 VTX on cold mornings so I performed a SCAR mod (Google VTX Scar mod for more info). It solved my problem and many other are happy with the results. I very rarely need to use my enrichment knob any more. See video on how it's done:

Again, Google is your friend for research on the VTX, as there is likely nothing you need to know about that isn't already been discussed and answered and maybe even a video made on how to do it.

Others will be along with advise as you need it. (y)

Reactions: Jens Boedt

·
Registered
13,465 Posts
The carb shown is NOT the same as a VTX carb.

The garage may have reduced the idle speed.
A vacuum hose could be off.
Mr VTX has an after market A/F screw that is longer.
OEM A/F screw has a "D" head. PIA.. My A/F screw will not turn. Too many miles/age.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your replies! I will try to have them fix it. 😊

·
Registered
13,465 Posts
One more possibility---is the electric fuel pump still being used????
The electric fuel pump was used only for one year, the 2003 VTX 1300.
Your last previous problem was the fuel tank was sealed.
If the fuel tank vent was not blocked than the fuel pump is the most likely cause.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Super Moderator
64,411 Posts
You should never drive/ride with a choke on. Use choke to warm the engine up, then push choke back in and ride. You will probably have to clean the carb and the spark plugs and the combustion chambers to clean out the excess carbon/sludge build-up. Try running a fuel system cleaner through the tank to clean everything up

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's probably the fuel pump i think.

This is the short story:
I put everything right on my motorcycle. The one thing i couldn't do myself was put a coating on the inside of my tank because i had a little rust. So i brought my bike to a local Honda dealer. He did this, but the coating came loose. So he removed it and did it again. Then i went riding and the engine stopped working every time i reached 15 miles.
So i brought my motorcycle back and they found the coating came loose again. So they redid it, redid it, sent it to someone else, they didn't want to do it because of the old coating... I brought my bike there on 24 june and got it back yesterday. I think it was september when they called me my fuel pump was broke. So they replaced it, as well as a relay and the petcock. I think the pump broke because of the loose coating (is this possible?).
So when i got my bike yesterday, the coating was removed and the only thing that changed was the petcock, relay, fuel pump, no coating and a bike that won't run without choke. So i'm pretty furious they kept my bike so long, i had extra costs, but i did not have any coating...

So this being said, i'm not surprised you come up with the fuel pump. Could it be broke because of their coating? Is it logical if it was broke that it sent more fuel to my carb?
I'm not a mechanic, but i know how to change fluids or replace parts. So i have no knowledge about 'advance breaks' if i can call it like that.

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate your help!

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Time to get a lawyer and document all your costs so far. The story above sounds like gross incompetence on the part of the dealer who coated the tank. I would think anyone who coated a motorcycle tank would add an in-line fuel filter as cheap insurance to catch any particles that might come lose from the tank before they can clog up components further down the line. Had this been done, your filter would have clogged, letting you know you have a problem with the tank so it could be an isolated problem, verses allowing the rest of the engine to be contaminated.

Sorry about your issues. Good luck with a resolution.

·
Registered
13,465 Posts
Remove the hose that goes from the fuel Pump to the carb.
Put a piece of tube on the FP to direct the fuel to a can.
Turn on Ign switch and see if there is gas flow.

What petcock??? The correct one has a gas line on it.
The incorrect petcock (2004-2009) has a fuel port and a vacuum port.
The incorrect one is to be used for gravity flow.
Your choice of motorcycle mechanics was a bad decision.
This VTX was bad since you purchased it.
Parked too long without proper storage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts