Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few month ago Someone mentioned that the used Pledge to clean the clear coat and Chrome on their ride.
For many years I was using all these expensive motorcycle cleaners, aerosols etc But now I can say with 100% conviction that this works wonders! The best part is, you can get it at most grocery stores for about 5 bucks a can.
I am so sorry I forgot who mentioned this to me on one of these forums but thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
844 Posts
I too have used pledge on my older bikes. I would not use it on my newer ones. I suspect it has a high silicon content. On a forum I have seen people talk about how it attracts bees, but as this is hearsay. I will wait until it is proved correct. I use a product called Plexus on my newer bikes and while expensive, a can lasts for years. On my rubberwork I use a product that claims it has no silicon, no silicates, and no ammonia. It too has lasted for years in fact. We have a product here called Mr Sheen, also a furniture polish which is very high silicon and great for wheels and parts you want the dirty road water to run off of. What pleasure a detailed 100% clean bike gives.

·
Old Goat
25,377 Posts
Preaching to the choir...many of us been using it since the VTX was born... (y) ...old news

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It may be someone on this actual forum that suggested it. I just can't remember for the life of me

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
since 1969, Pledge

the lemon version attracts the bee's..

look at my signature.. i have had this bike from new..
2005 and it has 92,600 miles

Paint still Looks NEW.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
11,938 Posts
A thread from 2006

Philscbx said using it since the 80's. (Thread from 2010)

I have used for years... No bees ever noticed.
Now there are none..

Reactions: chuck_VTX F

·
Old Goat
25,377 Posts
It may be someone on this actual forum that suggested it. I just can't remember for the life of me
Doesn’t matter as long as it works...and your satisfied with the results....actually I alternate between honda spray polish and orange Pledge...good luck

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
A local motorcycle dealer has been using Pledge for more than 30 years.

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
Multi-Surface Pledge, in the blue can, not the yellow can!

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I posted a long time ago about the benefits of using Lemon Pledge, based on years of using it for quick, daily dusting with a quick polish. I learned about using Pledge decades ago from an article about it in a motorcycle magazine. In other threads about using Pledge, I've cautioned users about thinking Pledge can replace protecting your chrome as chrome polish will do, and warning users that there is zero UV protection of your paint using Pledge. With no UV protection, your clear coat will break down and your paint will fade in the sun. I can attest to the fact that Lemon Pledge WILL attract bees if there are any in the area, because where I live during warm months I couldn't use Lemon Pledge without attracting at least one annoying bee.

I no longer use it because I've found a far superior product that is just as easy to use and is cheap. I now use Wash Wax All (Amazon.com : wash wax all)

This stuff is amazing as you can use it on all surfaces and it offers UV and anti-static properties (dust/dirt doesn't stick as well) in addition to adding shine all for an affordable price (a little goes a LONG way). If you research the product you'll see it passes aircraft standards and is used by major companies. Look at the Amazon users reviews and you'll find thousands of nearly 5 star reviews. A quick spray on a microfiber cloth is all you need and you just wipe it on as easy as with Pledge.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Multi-Surface Pledge, in the blue can, not the yellow can!
Actually the Multi-Surface Pledge is only a cleaner and will not shine or protect your surfaces as well as Lemon Pledge. This is because the "Blue can" Pledge ingredients are mostly cleaning agents. Lemon Pledge has mineral oils and silicone that offers a shine and protection, such as a thin layer of the stuff might provide.

See the ingredients for a comparison:

The Multi-Surface Pledge ingredients:
Water, Ethanol, (cleaning agent) Lauryl Polyglucose, (cleaning agent) Methylisothiazolinone, (preservative) Sodium Citrate, (stabilizer) Citric Acid (pH adjuster) and Fragrance.

Pledge Furniture Spray Lemon Ingredients:
Water, Isoparaffin, (a carrier made mostly of mineral oils) Dimethicone, (a silicone film former sometimes referred to as “silicone oil,” dimethicone is the most widely used silicone polymer and is particularly known for its ability to smoothly coat a surface and leave it protected, without being sticky) Octylphosphonic acid, (a phosphonate and corrosion inhibitor) Nitrogen, (gas Propellant) Polysorbate 80, (an emulsifier) Sorbitan Oleate, (an emulsifier) and Fragrance, Polydimethylsiloxane, (a silicone film former used to create a protective coating or shine on a surface) Aminomethyl Propanol, (pH Adjuster) Methylisothiazolinone* (Preservative)

Source of information: Visit Pledge® website

Lemon Pledge will not harm your paint, but it's also a poor substitute for quality wax, chrome polish and/or a multitude of other spray and wipe products that will not only add shine but protection against UV rays (this fades your paint) and other positive attributes such as what I get with my preferred spray (Wash Wax All).

·
Registered
844 Posts
Just a small side warning. I am a french polisher by trade (antique furniture and modern) Never use products like this on your quality furniture as it will siliconise the timber which makes it very hard/ impossible to re polish.

·
Old Goat
25,377 Posts
AS I stated I use both Honda polish and pledge....but would never use either on my “Wood”.... ;)

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Just a small side warning. I am a french polisher by trade (antique furniture and modern) Never use products like this on your quality furniture as it will siliconise the timber which makes it very hard/ impossible to re polish.

My wood is hard enough as it is and I only use Vaseline for my "polishing"........

Wait.....what are we talking about here???

;)

·
Premium Member
7,123 Posts
My wood is hard enough as it is and I only use Vaseline for my "polishing"........

Wait.....what are we talking about here???
;)
Well, I guess if you have to fly solo, that's about your only option ...😁😆😂🤣

Reactions: rangers4u
1 - 16 of 16 Posts