Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can and will someone post a pic of your valve adjusting tools, especially the 4mm Honda tool?

·
Registered
760 Posts
X-MAN I don't have a picture to post but I have recently completed this maint on my own bike. Go to Sears and look in their tool dept for two items.
First item is a set of metric ignition wrenches that come in a little plastic pouch; make sure it contains the 4mm wrench. Second item is a set of feeler gauges, blade type gap gauges; you know the kind that comes in an assortment like a knife set where each blade folds out. Take the knike set of gauges apart and tape the ones that you want to use on a popcicle stick to make each gauge longer and easier to use. You will also have to tape the little 4mm open end wrench to a stick to make it longer and easy to use. I recommend that you also attach a string to the other end of the wrench stick in case you drop it like I did several times. In fact any wrenches used should be attached to a string in case you drop then in an area that is difficult to retreive..

Tools: *Craftman 10-pc Midget Combination wrench set no. 942339

*Craftman Feeler Gauge set no. 40802

"Rich people focus on opportunities. Poor people focus on obstacles."

T. Harv Eker

·
Registered
948 Posts
valve adj

tape a wrench to a stick,your ........ me right,when i do mione theirs got to be a better way

·
Registered
760 Posts
Re: valve adj

neil said:
tape a wrench to a stick,your ........ me right,when i do mione theirs got to be a better way
The little wrench is only about 2 1/2 inches long and can easily fall inside engine components. The stick & string is for ease of handling only. If you want to do it a better way, weld an extention on the wrench.

I tried to order the Honda tool from HAL & he doesn't stock it. When I ask local dealer to order one for me they said they couldn't. Since the local Honda service manager is a friend and lives around the corner from me, I asked him what the dealer uses. His reply was a 4mm ignition wrench taped to a popcicle stick.

D

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the info bro.I am about to try adjusting mine for the first time...

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
REALBOB said:
X-MAN I don't have a picture to post but I have recently completed this maint on my own bike. Go to Sears and look in their tool dept for two items.
First item is a set of metric ignition wrenches that come in a little plastic pouch; make sure it contains the 4mm wrench. Second item is a set of feeler gauges, blade type gap gauges; you know the kind that comes in an assortment like a knife set where each blade folds out. Take the knike set of gauges apart and tape the ones that you want to use on a popcicle stick to make each gauge longer and easier to use. You will also have to tape the little 4mm open end wrench to a stick to make it longer and easy to use. I recommend that you also attach a string to the other end of the wrench stick in case you drop it like I did several times. In fact any wrenches used should be attached to a string in case you drop then in an area that is difficult to retreive..

Tools: *Craftman 10-pc Midget Combination wrench set no. 942339

*Craftman Feeler Gauge set no. 40802

"Rich people focus on opportunities. Poor people focus on obstacles."

T. Harv Eker
Thanks Bob, I'll pick it up tomorrow, and start the job this weekend.

·
Registered
441 Posts
X Man said:
Can and will someone post a pic of your valve adjusting tools, especially the 4mm Honda tool?
XMan, here are pics of the 4mm honda wrench. Hope it helps.

Showing the bend of the wrench.

Top view.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts