Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a couple of questions regarding valves on the vtx 1300. i own a 04 1300 c with 9900 miles. i just bought it 6 weeks ago. my buddy has a 06 1300 c with 7600 on it. his is 2 weeks old to him. we both love the bikes. heres the thing, niether of the previous owners are sure if the valves have ever been adjusted. is it time? the one thing that both of us are noticing is that the front cylinder is running a little rich, nothing major but noticable. also are shims required when you adjust them? as always thanks for your input and knowledge.:tools:

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Mine were apparently done at the 600 mile maintenance when I bought the bike (956 miles on it). When I checked them at 8,000, they were a little out of adjustment. At 16k, they were still where I had set them at the 8k. If I were you, I'd check them. It's not hard to do, just time consuming. I will tell you that you learn a lot about the bike by doing this procedure, since you'll have the tank off, and see everything.

·
Sith Lord
4,919 Posts
Mine were apparently done at the 600 mile maintenance when I bought the bike (956 miles on it). When I checked them at 8,000, they were a little out of adjustment. At 16k, they were still where I had set them at the 8k. If I were you, I'd check them. It's not hard to do, just time consuming. I will tell you that you learn a lot about the bike by doing this procedure, since you'll have the tank off, and see everything.

+1..i had to adjust 2 vavles at my 8k check, since then none have been out enough to be out of spec or even moved from the last checks.

But, it's worth the piece of mind for me to still check them...at slightly longer than 8k between checks though now.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
id check them

and when you do just follow the write up as mentioned above . MAKE SURE TO TIE STRING TO FEELER GUAGES ---mike

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
i have a couple of questions regarding valves on the vtx 1300. i own a 04 1300 c with 9900 miles. i just bought it 6 weeks ago. my buddy has a 06 1300 c with 7600 on it. his is 2 weeks old to him. we both love the bikes. heres the thing, niether of the previous owners are sure if the valves have ever been adjusted. is it time? the one thing that both of us are noticing is that the front cylinder is running a little rich, nothing major but noticable. also are shims required when you adjust them? as always thanks for your input and knowledge.:tools:
Valve adjustment won't hurt, But any mods done to either bike? jetkit, pipes, a/m air boxes.......? That would more likely cause a running rich issue.

·
Old Goat
26,430 Posts
Only 1 of mine was out at 9k, im going back in,in a month when I do the coolant at 20k. goodluck

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
NOT a bucket and shim design, just loosen tappet nut and turn adjuster. 4mm open wrench is in Sears Ignition tool pack, or make one. DO use string on tools.

prs

·
Cheapozilla
2,579 Posts
yes you should.....but keep in mind the goal is to CHECK ...adjust only if required (out of spec) !

If you are new to this (like I was) - open her up the previous night and start actual checking/adjusting in the AM over fresh coffee (or whatever it is that you drink) - Good Luck !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts