Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing the valve adjustment at my 16K mile service. Already smashed my thumb while getting the timing hole cover off. :x My own dumb fault (rachet slipped) and now my thumbnail is turning blue.

ANYWAY, I'm adjusting the valves on the front cylinder. On the intake valves, I've got them both adjusted to where a .006 feeler guage slips in and out nicely, but a .008 is REALLY tight. .006 + or - .001 is what it's supposed to be at. I realize we're talking about very close tollarances here and a certain amount of "mechanics feel" is involved in knowing when it's correct, but does that sound about right? I've done valve adjustments before in some of my old British sports cars, but there was all the room in the world to work and the tollerances weren't anywhere near as close.

Oh...and thanks to whomever it was a year or two ago who dropped the feeler guage down inside the rocker box. I remembered that just as I was about to stick it in there and decided to put a piece of wire on the end so I could retrieve it. A lot of good info on this board :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
GA Rainman,
It should be kind of tight with the .006 guage and you should not be able to get the next (.007) guage in at all. If you can get a .008 in the valve clearance than you are a little too loose and when you fire the beast up you will probably hear some ticking noises coming from the valve train. I had to adjust mine twice. It is particularly hard on our bikes because of the tight quarters. Double check yourself after your adjustment and tightening the lock nut, by trying to put the next higher feeler guage in and you should not be able to get it in. Good Luck Bro!!!!
Later!!!

·
Registered
740 Posts
I read somewhere on this board that a .006 should "feel slight resistance", and a .007 should not fit at all. Then use a .005 to make sure it "slips right in". Adjust if necessary, tighten the lock-nut, check clearances again, then spin the timing bolt around, till your back at TDC (wiggle the rockers) and check clearances again. That way you are completely sure they are right, and won't be takin' her out for a test spin thinking you are hearing something wrong. Yes it will still "clack" some. Also I used the taping the popsicle stick to the feeler gauge trick that I read about on this forum, and it made getting that bent part of the feeler gauge in there easier. Hope this helps, and hey, You did it yourself! 8)

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, just finished the exhaust valve while I was waiting for the answers. Fired it up with the gas left in the carb and......"tick tick tick tick tick". Seriously ticking. Gonna have to tighten those puppies up I guess. They were all SERIOUSLY tight to begin with, but I guess I opened 'em up too much. Back to the drawing board :roll:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts