Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of sound do the valves make when they aren't adjusted right? When I have been traveling 85-90 MPH for 15-20 minutes at time I start hearing a fast buzzing sound. When I back off it stops but not immediately. Any ideas as to what it could be?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My bike is an '03 with 8500 miles on it never been to the stealer.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Could be exhaust

I have stock pipes on my C model. There's a certain frequency where the pipes produce a vibrating sound, similar to the sound a glass pack muffler makes at high revs when the engine is decelerating. Seems to be normal.

Also, the speedometer housing sometimes becomes loose from the tank and will buzz or vibrate. Mine was OK after tightening the allen bolts, some people have put O rings or rubber washers underneath the speedometer/gas cap housing to stop that noise. Next time you hear it, try pressing down firmly in the speedometer area and see if the noise stops.

High speeds also cause heat buildup in the engine and may be causing the fuel to ignite prematurely, that can cause the pistons to rattle. Also normal.

The valves would produce a rapid "clicking" sound, if too loose.

Just a few thoughts.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Have you adjusted the valves?

There was a valve adjustment due at 800 miles and another at 8,000. If you haven't done these, your valves ARE more than likely out of adjustment.

If your valves have never been adjusted, I'd definitely recommend a valve adjustment ASAP.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Xmachine. I'll check out the speedo, but I think the noise is coming from the engine. If the valves are out of adjustment can there be damage to the engine?

·
Registered
253 Posts
valves

I just ajusted my valves and I can only hear a slight tapping noise at low speeds. I think i may have the exaust valve a little too loose. I'll check it out in a day or two. as for damage. I hope not!. I want to see what others say too.

·
Registered
740 Posts
these bikes just make clacking noises, get used to it. The valves usually get tighter, when they get out of spec. Do a search on "Valve noises" and see what you get. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
This is a late post, but I had that same problem going about 80 and 85 mph on the highway. Had that same buzzing sound. I thought it was the valves also. But it was my Headlight. There is a mod for the headlight that will fix that. I know that is what it was on my VTX Retro 1300. Fixed that noise.

tlyoungb

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks tlyoungb, I recall reading about the headlight buzz. I will look into that along with the speedo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts