Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 R that I proudly put 14k (first street bike) on in two summers. I checked the valves last winter and am ready to do it again here soon. My question is, when I was checking the rear exhaust valve (pardon if these are the wrong terms) it seemed like the rod above the valve would lift when I inserted the guage. This makes it seem like you wouldn't get an accurate reading with the lifting. Is this normal? What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
If you are referring to the lifter lifting a bit as you insert the feeler, that is normal....you are measuring the "slop" in effect. In fact, if there is no slack when you measure the valve setting, you are at the wrong spot in the stroke....you shouldnteven be able to get the feeler in there in that case.

The trick is making sure the feeler gauge doesnt drag against any other surrounding parts.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what you are saying is that it will only lift so high and that is what I measure? Thanks for your help. You live only about 30 miles from me. Can't wait till spring. Later

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
So what you are saying is that it will only lift so high and that is what I measure? Thanks for your help. You live only about 30 miles from me. Can't wait till spring. Later
Exactly. When you adjust the tappet, you are adjusting the rod up or down to open or close that "slop" gap. Too much slop, and your valves won't open properly. Too little, and they won't close properly.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
:agree:

When you stick the feeler in there, you are in effect forcing the lifter upfrom the top of the valve so you can get the feeler in there....when the appropriate feeler feels "just right" when you move it around in there, you got the right setting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts