Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Honda 1300c Do I have Hydralic Valves?

I hear this tapping noise, someone said it could be my valves, someone said maybe its the pipes. Help!?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just recently saw several posts on this topic and all replied that it was common and nothing to worry about. just got mine a few weeks ago...less than 500 miles and i hear it now and again...no worries.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh ok. Nothing on idle. Just a easy tapping noise, like lifters or something, not too loud or anything, but hearable (new word, hearable)

·
Registered
82 Posts
that's it...comes and goes...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just recently saw several posts on this topic and all replied that it was common and nothing to worry about. just got mine a few weeks ago...less than 500 miles and i hear it now and again...no worries.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Uh, already read your first post.... Where are these other posts?

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Valves

First of all your bike has solid lifters, not hydraulic valves. And I wouldn't say it's nothing to worry about. Look at your maintenance intervals and this will tell you when you need your valves adjusted. They should first be checked at 600 miles and every 4,000 miles after that. The motor is notoriously noisy but out of tolerance valves can be damaging to the motor.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the valves get bad, how loud do they get? Thanks. I hear its a big job adjusting the valves, how much does it cost to bring it to a shop to get them adjusted?

·
Registered
819 Posts
btw, your 1300 has no lifters....DOHC....cam makes contact directly with the rockers. a little ticking is better than none at all...in other words, too loose is not as bad as too tight.

adjust the valves (or have it done) at 600-1000 miles and then again on the 8,000 mile intervals.

hopefully that will be twice a year or more ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts