Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2008 vtx 1800f
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ive just purchased a 2008 1800f a couple of weeks ago, its got the vance and hines, i guess they are called big shots or longs shots exhaust, love the look but very loud for my taste, ive read they have quieter baffles #21301, i cant seem to find install procedure on these, anyone have pictures or instructions i can look at before considering a purchase, i heard the quiet baffles change the tone of the exhaust, any advice or help would be greatly appreciated

·
Old Goat
26,941 Posts
…may be some intel…I like mine….course I wear ear plugs..like most people that ride should…good luck

·
Registered
14,476 Posts
Font Parallel Screenshot Musical instrument Office supplies

Cobra has more baffles but 2.2" OD whereas the V&H baffle is 2"OD

No Instructions. Sometimes you need wd40 and a hook to get the baffles out.

If you have a 2" OD pipe about 10" long you could use multiple bar sink strainers
to make baffles. They need to be fastened in several locations to stay in place.
Exhaust pulses are powerful.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
231 Posts
IMHO don't bother with the quiet baffles as they are no quieter than the originals. They mainly change the exhaust note a tad, but those pipes will still be loud as hell
That was my experience with Cobras. I wasted a lot of time, money and effort trying to quiet them, but they’re designed to be, well, loud. And they looked great and all but I got rider fatigue because of the excessive noise (and that’s wearing earplugs). it wasn’t so much people around me (those pipes are so-called neighbor-haters) as it was for my own benefit I put my stock exhaust back on.

·
Registered
2008 VTX 1800N, Vance & Hines Big shots exhaust and stock air intake
54 Posts
I just did this to my big shots, the "super" quiet baffles made a big difference in volume for me, still holding up after about 1000 miles. I did lose some power though...

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
That was my experience with Cobras. I wasted a lot of time, money and effort trying to quiet them, but they’re designed to be, well, loud. And they looked great and all but I got rider fatigue because of the excessive noise (and that’s wearing earplugs). it wasn’t so much people around me (those pipes are so-called neighbor-haters) as it was for my own benefit I put my stock exhaust back on.
I did the same with my Sideburner, the most beautiful pipe for the VTX but too loud. It made pedestrions jump and car alarms go off when I passed. I still have it and maybe I will put this piece of art once on the wall if I can ever convince my wife...
I didn't go back to stock but went for a Road Burner Velocity Pro which produces a sound that is loud enough with a deep rumble.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Fuel tank

Musical instrument Wind instrument Metal Nickel Electric blue

·
Registered
12,911 Posts
I just did this to my big shots, the "super" quiet baffles made a big difference in volume for me, still holding up after about 1000 miles. I did lose some power though...
Your last statement is curious, because usually a little more back pressure from additional baffling will have a bit more power. Guess a dyno would have to prove that.

Reactions: Merry Prankster

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
This thread is pretty ... baffling. :D
Sorry, couldn't help it.

I have the V&H Big Shots and I installed the "quiet" baffles. As already mentioned, they don't quiet the exhaust down much. IIRC, I measured maybe 3dB difference. Do not expect miracles.

The process is very easy. Remove the tips. Look inside the pipes with a flashlight.
If you have the straight baffles in, just remove the 1 bolt that secures them in each pipe. Pull the baffles out. If needed, use some lubricant and a slide hammer (or hook).
The new baffles come pre-wrapped in baffle material. But they are also wrapped in plastic. Remove the plastic, you don't want that burning and sticking inside your exhaust. You can use some bailing wire (or safety wire) to keep the material on. Insert baffle into the exhaust pipe, line up the bolt hole, secure the baffle with the 1 bolt (use Loctite). Reinstall the tips, you are done.

I also agree that adding extra baffling like the lollipop helps some. I am considering making a spring-loaded flap design that remains closed at low pressure but opens up with increased pressure (high power). That should quiet the exhaust down while I'm idling through the neighborhood. But that's in the future. Hard to predict when.

·
Registered
2008 VTX 1800N, Vance & Hines Big shots exhaust and stock air intake
54 Posts
Your last statement is curious, because usually a little more back pressure from additional baffling will have a bit more power. Guess a dyno would have to prove that.
Not exactly sure why, power was down and others noted this issue in past threads. More restrictive past a point will cause power loss I would assume

·
Registered
2008 vtx 1800f
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok ive just purchased a 2008 1800f a couple of weeks ago, its got the vance and hines, i guess they are called big shots or longs shots exhaust, love the look but very loud for my taste, ive read they have quieter baffles #21301, i cant seem to find install procedure on these, anyone have pictures or instructions i can look at before considering a purchase, i heard the quiet baffles change the tone of the exhaust, any advice or help would be greatly appreciated
as i have told you guys this is my first 1800, vance and hines big shots, mine has o2 sensors in the pipes, also i noticed that there are 2 short hex bolts going into the pipes, is the one closest to the tip for removing the tip? then one up further for removing the baffel? i wanna try the quiet baffles just not sure on the install

·
Registered
2008 vtx 1800f
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got the vance and hines big shots on my 08 vtx1800f model, its very loud, any one use these? if so did it make enough difference to be worth while, ive got bad knees, might have to have installed anyone know of a place in michigan that can do that? im in warren
2 Quiet Thunder Monster Baffles Part # QBL1994
2" QUIET THUNDER MONSTER BAFFLES PART # QBL1994

1 - 20 of 37 Posts