Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased VH big shots and in process of installing them. Guy also told me to install a new set of gaskets. Sold me Harley gaskets and said to put them in and tighten down and gaskets would crush to seat the exhaust. Well I have removed stock honda pipes and see no visible gasket in the head.

Can anyone tell me if there should be a factory gasket where the exhaust meets the head and if there is not should I even bother putting the new Harley gaskets in????

Also, how difficult is it to line up the pipes during the install? Are there any tricks one should know about before undertaking this job????

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes they are there, hard to see, but they are there. You should replace them, you might get by with not changing them , but you may have to take the pipes back off again. As for the Harley crush gaskets, don't know what to say. Maybe a problem there.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I just installed my Big Shots last week. Had a heck of a time getting the front to seat. Ended up pi$$ing me off and took me almost 4 days to get them on. Finally I decided to measure my stock pipes from center to center and found out that the new Big Shots were about 1/4 inch to short. I got mad and stuck a foot on the rear pipe and grabbed the front and pulled like hell.

Took alot of muscle and cussing (not sure it helped but made me feel better) but they finally went on..

LOVE THE SOUND.. well except now I have the gurgle that everyone talks about. The gurgle sounds like crap. Waiting on my pair valve block off plates to come in that I ordered from HDL. Friday, I will be happy again.

Bode.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick response......I will continue to watch and when all else fails, use my foot, curse like hell, wait a week, and then start again....thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
>>>...I will continue to watch and when all else fails, use my foot, curse like hell, wait a week, and then start again...<<<

This is good advice. I have used this technique when installing several different things and it works well. Funny though...I thought I invented it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, just not my day.....on the way to pick up my new exhaust, I blew the engine in my 95 Vovlo when the radiator busted....thought I could at least ride my bike but now it is apart in the garage til i get the exhaust back on her......

this was just a bad day and I should have stayed in bed!!!!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I beg to differ somewhat - if the gasket cannot be seen it is likely not damaged and there is no need to swap it out - that's what I did (not do :)) over 1500 happy miles ago when I installed my bigshots

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
My bike was brand new when i put my big shots on.. I didnt change the gasket either. Bike running fine except the gurgle which would happen with our without gasket.

Bode

·
Registered
31 Posts
GURGLE/BACKFIRING

The noise you hear on decel is the gurgle. There are hot, unburnt gases traveling down your exhaust on decel. The only thing they need to ignite is some oxygen. When you have an exhaust leak, from an improperly seated crush gasket or otherwise, fresh air comes into the exhaust....then it gurgles. At least thats the way I got it. All that to say that exhaust doesn't have to gurgle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts