Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Vance & Hines pipes on my VTX 1800 Retro I bought the bike with them. I think it is kind of quite did they come from the factory with quite baffles? Can the baffles be taken out it so how? I do not want to damage the pipes.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
64,344 Posts
They are called "Quiet" baffles, but they aren't very quiet. Don't let the name fool you, they do tone the note down a little and without baffles you might not like the tinny sound. The bike will also not like running with no baffles. You loose a noticable amount of torque, that feeling of being pushed off the seat when you take off, when running with no baffles. If you want to swap the Vance&Hines "Standard" baffles that come in the C&F model pipes, that would be better. Then you can go one step further and try the www.bigcitythunder.com ThunderMonster baffles. They are the loudest baffle that still offers the needed backpressure for the engine to produce more torque.

PS... To get the baffles out of the R pipes, the heat shields must come off to get at the baffle set screw. The removal of the heat shield is easier with the pipes off the bike.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chicago-Spike
Will they get any louder as time goes by? The pipes have about 4000 miles on them. I was told I could remove the baffles and then remove the fiberglass packing and put the baffles back in he said that I might lose a little bottom end toque and get some back firing. That is what Vance&Hines tech replied back to me in a email.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you heard the bigcitythunder baffles? If so how much louder are they than my quite baffles? twice a loud etc.

·
Super Moderator
64,344 Posts
They won't get twice as loud, but a little louder, yes. ThunderMonsters are really not much of a baffle at all. Just a way to get the needed backpressure. The packing will deteriorate over time in the quiet baffles.
The backfiring is what we call "Decell pop" and you can remove the pair system to help with that(also on www.bareasschoppers.com ) and the PC3 can be mapped to help with that also.

·
Registered
114 Posts
just took my baffles out...not that bad with the right tools....used a slide hammer and vise grips. take the pipes off first though...much easier. i took off the 'glass and cut off the end cap on the baffle (should now be similar to standard baffle)...i'll let you know it sounds in a while.

·
Registered
114 Posts
JUST RIGHT!!! took all the fiberglass and the end caps off the quiet baffles and added just enough of the right sound. no noticable loss of power or torque..all told about an hour and a half of work (and i'm not the most mechanically inclined guy around.)

·
Registered
144 Posts
you don't really lose torque with the baffles out. i just dynoed mine with them in and with them out....actually better with them out once you add fuel....they inherently run lean...check out my post about 122-022 map for pc3.

John

·
Super Moderator
64,344 Posts
Then you would have the only VTX that doesn't loose torque with the baffles removed in the last 6 years as proven on many, many dynos and confirmed by many great dyno tuners like JohnnyCheese. No baffles, loose about 3-5 of both numbers. The VTX also runs rich at the mid to upper RPM range, as proven on many, many dyno runs, so adding more fuel will get you back what was lost by removing the baffles

·
Registered
421 Posts
whitlow said:
Thanks Chicago-Spike
Will they get any louder as time goes by? The pipes have about 4000 miles on them. I was told I could remove the baffles and then remove the fiberglass packing and put the baffles back in he said that I might lose a little bottom end toque and get some back firing. That is what Vance&Hines tech replied back to me in a email.
Mine seemed to get softer, but I think that can be attributed to loss of hearing...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.