Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D I am not happy with the Cobra Classic Deluxe Slash Cut exhaust that I currently have on my 2004 VTX 1800n. I am looking at the V&H'S and the Jardine Drags. I was told that the Jardines will out perform the V&H's. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
63,774 Posts
Yes, the Jars do a little better than the V&H. 8)

Welcome to the board!
Bookmark this website, http://tech.vtxoa.com This is the sister site to this message board and contains all your How-to/Tips/Tricks/Why’s and links to other helpful sites for your new VTX.
There is also a helpful red Search icon at the top of every page(not the Google search). Enter your item to be searched in the "Search Query" section and click the "Search for all terms" bullet under the query. Then go to the "Search Options" section and choose a board from the "Forum" drop down menu. This will limit the results to your search so you won't get pages of "Fluff" .

The pupose of the "Search" is to offer a member the opportunity to research his/her question better. There is so much information from past threads that you may never see because that member is no longer here, or doesn't see your new post, or just won't respond to the same question. So use it to your advantage and enjoy the board! View this funny and informative film about posting and searching…
http://uploads.ungrounded.net/188000/188612_Posting.swf

Also, take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the forum. At the top of every board there are threads that are tagged as "Sticky" These threads are "Sticky" because they contain very important/valuable information about the VTX and everyone should read them.
The thread at the top of the 1800 tech board called, "Air, Fuel, Motors..." will answer most of the performance questions...
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28918

Also, update your Profile to include what type X you have to your Signature line. I.E. 1300/1800/C/F/N/R/S.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have the Jardine's on my retro and they are great. I went riding with a bunch of Harley guys this weekend and they said my bike sounded great, loud but great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:D Thanks guys for your response. I think I will try the Jardines to be a little different.

VTX 1800N spec 2, power commander, thunder teardrop airkit, kuryakyn iso grips, kuryakyn switchhouse covers, kuryakyn motormount accents, cobra driveshaft cover, showchrome swingarm covers, showchrome side covers, cobra classic deluxe slashcut exhaust.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Let me know how it works out, I plan to put those on my Neo eventually.

·
Registered
34 Posts
vance & hines vs jardine

Back in August I was looking for the Vance & Hines to put on my new 1800c. They were back ordered until the middle of November. Since I disliked the standard pipe so badly, I began to look for a replacement. I purchased the Jardine Slash Cuts. My impression:

Nice sound
Loud enough to occasionally set off a car alarm
Not too loud to be obnoxious
Look great
They have the crossover, no additional tuning up needed

The only drawback I have found is this - I called the factory which is here in California and asked them if the baffles can be removed and they can be. The problem is getting them back in easily. They are apparently wrapped in fiberglass or something like that and the re-install is difficult to next to impossible or so I have been told.

Not a major problem, otherwise I like the looks and sound of the Jardine. The quality of the chrome is very good except for the stupid clamps that you use for attaching the heat shield. They can be hidden though. I would purchase again.

·
Registered
211 Posts
jackblack said:
:D I am not happy with the Cobra Classic Deluxe Slash Cut exhaust that I currently have on my 2004 VTX 1800n. I am looking at the V&H'S and the Jardine Drags. I was told that the Jardines will out perform the V&H's. Any input would be appreciated.
Alright, here's mine. Go with Jardines. Here's my opinion...

http://netjam.com/html/vtx1800-Jardines.htm

Cheers!
Netjammer-

·
Registered
53 Posts
jardine

I love these pipes..slashcut look great ,sound great......hdl great price(thanks hal)with builders discount.....dynoed real strong....build away guys

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm a bit partial to the bigshots, but I'd like to hear the jardines though. The bigshots sound really awesome with the thunder monster baffles!

Rob

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Chicago-Spike said:
Sandman333 said:
Let me know how it works out, I plan to put those on my Neo eventually.
Hopefully, you will see and hear my Jardines at the ride on the 30th. 8)
Yep, sounds good to me. Would still like to see them on a Neo though.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought that with the 2 to 1 exhausts you got better performance. Now the Jars come with a 2 to 2 set up, and the V&H's has a crossover that makes them a 2 to 1.
So Chicago-Spike, . . . how is it that the Jars are a little better than the V&H? I'm just curious?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Spike has the C-Model Jardines, which have a crossover. The Retro/Neo model do not.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ok, thanks for the info. So why no crossover with the Retro/Neo? I'd think that it would make sense to offer the better performing pipes.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Oddly enough, I was perusing an August, 2003 copy of Motorcycle Cruiser this morning. In it, they run a comparo of seven aftermarket pipe systems. (Bub Chambermaids/Hard-Krome American Classic Straights/Jardine Straight-Cut Drags/Muzzy Classic Megaphone/Roadhouse/Shogun Slashers/Supertrapp Mean Mothers).

The Shogun and Supertrapp set-ups were best left in a dumpster, while the Jardines provided good response at low rpm, only to fall way off in torque and power delivery at anything above 4,000rpm. (These runs were done with a Cobra Fi2000 unit installed in the bikes. The Cobra set-up can be adjusted to richen the fuel/air mixture, but unlike the Power Commander unit, cannot lean out the mixture anywhere along the fuel curve. Some aftermarket pipes will "cause your mixture to swing radically from too lean to too rich".

If you are looking to simply change the sound of your ride, just about anything will do. If you actually want performance above that delivered by your stock exhaust set-up, I personally would bite the bullet and go with the V&H set-up. And I would install a fuel management system to aid in tuning them in for the best performance possible. JMHO....

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Except that none of the bikes tested were VTX's.

We've done the dynos on VTX's with these pipes. Jardines currently lead the pack.

G

·
0 Posts
retro

I'd like to know as well as I'm currently looking to change pipes. What have been some of the better performing aftermarket pipes for the retro?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts