Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At speed, my '03 1800R will immediately lean and veer slightly right if I remove my hands from the handlebars. I confirmed it happens even when I ride on the wrong side of the road, so it's not a result of road crowning direction. And it does it with new tires, so I also know it's not uneven tire wear causing it. (And to clarify, I said it occurs "at speed" because I haven't even tried removing my hands at lower speeds. I know I need at least moderate speed to create gyroscopic force to provide stabilization.)

Has anyone else experienced this, and did you find a source and solution?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
jack up bike so front wheel is off the ground

removed the front wheel.

do both forks "HANG" at the same level... insert axle to test "HANG".
manual shows how to adjust front forks.

next is rear swing arm bushings.. there is a test ..
next is something is BENT...

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
Do you have a windshield or fairing??? Remove it. Could be an alignment issue.
I did NOT think about that...

thanks Hans..
being a handlebar or front fork mounting. not being center will force it to one side.

·
Registered
10,871 Posts
That is what makes this forum so great!
Various ideas posted to investigate said problem.
Good to see your posts Chuck!

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
:whistle:
My bike is REALLY heavy on the side my package veers towards....

(hey, someone had to say it)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First - sorry for the delayed response. Let's just say, it's been a week.

I appreciate all the suggestions, greatly! In response to the questions, I bought the bike new, and it's never hit anything harder than a small pothole, so I don't suspect anything is bent, although that is certainly possible. The bike has no windshield or fairing, exhaust is stock, and yes, it pulled right with the old tires. And I carry my package up, House, so the weight, such as it is, is centered.

It occurs to me that if I think about it, I've noticed a few times lately where the front suspension has felt (subjectively) more harsh than I recall it feeling - small bumps jolting me harder than I thought they should. And the first comment (thank you, chuck_VTX F) suggested I check the hang of the forks. I am thinking an uneven hang may very well be the culprit, as those front shocks are the originals (as is almost all of the bike). So that will be the first thing I check. I will say that since I have retired, I have a decreasing interest in performing my own maintenance on my vehicles, and I no longer own either a motorcycle jack or a stand for the bike. So while I could certainly adapt things I do have to the purpose, I will more likely take it to a local shop and ask them to check the fork hang for me. But that leads me to a new question, which is - of the things mentioned here, what is the most rational to check next?

Thanks to all - and ride safe! (Says the guy with wig-wag driving lights on the front of his bike. That, btw, was a GREAT idea, as I've had only two people pull in front of me since adding the wig-wag circuit 15 years ago! YMMV, of course, but wow, what a difference that's made!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jack up bike so front wheel is off the ground

removed the front wheel.

do both forks "HANG" at the same level... insert axle to test "HANG".
manual shows how to adjust front forks.

next is rear swing arm bushings.. there is a test ..
next is something is BENT...
Thanks for the theories. Now to test them!

·
Registered
389 Posts
My 1800C has had a tendency to pull to the right with my hands off the bars since it was new. It seems to be quite common. I remember one or more old threads on this same subject as well.
Lots of theories back then but nothing conclusive. Don’t think it is related to fork leg length as the axle clamps everything solidly together.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts