Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I use a half helmet for my short daily commutes and my old one was getting worn out, so I bought this new helmet ($129.00). I did a lot of research on what's out there and I decided to try this one based on positive reviews. When it arrived I was pleased with everything I saw. My biggest complaint with other half helmets I've purchased is that the lining materials are cheap and break down sooner than they should.

The inner lining materials in this helmet seem to be really robust, not the fake, thin leather they sometimes use. I'm not a fan of the open ear holes on this type of helmet, but these come with inner snap in covers that solves this issue. I've never used the quick attach chin strap and I was impressed with how easy this is to use. I wear a size L and the fit was perfect.

One complaint a lot of half helmet riders have is a 'mushroom head' look they have. To overcome this some makers offer low profile styles and this one isn't quite low profile, but it's low enough not to make your head look like a mushroom.

One complaint some half helmet riders have is that the wind can get in and have a grabbing effect to pull the helmet off/back. To overcome this, this one has flow through venting at the top so the wind is less likely to pull the helmet back/up.

Lastly, this has a flip down visor, and I'm so spoiled with this feature from past half helmets that I had to have this feature. Fortunately this one works well and drops down close to the nose/face to better keep wind out. My only complaint is the visor is tinted very dark, and this could be a safety issue if you every have to get home from a day trip after sundown. You can overcome this by buying a separate clear shield, but I'd prefer the stock shield just be a medium or light tint.

I bought silver color because one of my bikes is silver, but these come in other colors. The silver is a lot darker shade than shows, and I was please with the dark silver color variation compared to the standard/common aluminum looking sliver.

About this item

• Adjustable Twin Shield System Drop-down sunscreen has the ability to lock ½ way down, or full protection
  • DOT approved. Meets the FMVSS 218 Standard
  • Bluetooth ready for seamless installation of LS2’s LinkIn Communication System – rider-to-rider, rider-to-passenger
  • Flow-through ventilation
  • Technical fabric liner is hypoallergenic, moisture wicking, removable and washable
https://www.amazon.com/LS2-Helmets-...locphy=9031645&hvtargid=pla-945322278198&th=1

Other visors options (sold separately) in amber, chrome, & clear (sell for about $15.00):

LS2 Rebellion Scratch Resistant Inner Visor

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Interesting. My current 1/2 helmet does not have an adjustable visor and it getting worn out on the inside. Might need to start looking for a replacement. So any helpful feedback is appreciated.
Do you have a picture with the visor adjusted down? Riding into the evening sun is very dangerous if I cannot see well in front of me. And holding up my hand to shield my eyes is not safe either.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. My current 1/2 helmet does not have an adjustable visor and it getting worn out on the inside. Might need to start looking for a replacement. So any helpful feedback is appreciated.
Do you have a picture with the visor adjusted down? Riding into the evening sun is very dangerous if I cannot see well in front of me. And holding up my hand to shield my eyes is not safe either.
This has a flip down sun screen that retracts up into the helmet and it pulls down to its lowest position close to the nose. The visor on this sticks out far enough to provide eye shade on it's own, so with the visor and the tinted sun screen I can't image even direct sun being a problem since just tilting your head down a little means you're looking out from under the visor like a baseball cap.

Reactions: Capt. Rory

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Ah, gotcha, the built-in sunglasses tilt (retract). I misunderstood. I thought the visor (or whatever you want to call it) was adjustable.
Mine is not and if I want the low sun out of my eyes, I really have to push my face down, pretty much looking at the speedometer and having a hard time seeing the road. And I look like I'm texting, like a youngster. LOL
My dirtbike helmet has a much longer visor so you cant your head just a bit and the sun is gone. :)
I think I could solve my problem by gluing a cowboy hat to my helmet. Afterall, I do live in Texas! 🤪

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
There you go Lou. Break the old hot glue gun out. You'll be a trend setter.

Reactions: Capt. Rory

·
Super Moderator
6,927 Posts
Good review HOP, thanks.

I s'pose that if I lived in So. Cali I would have never switched over to a FF helmet. But being as I don't I did and I've got to say I like my FF a lot. I still have my other helmets and if the weather ever heats up on a day that I have to take the bike then I might put one on but I haven't done so for two seasons now. And maybe that's the crux of it. We have riding seasons, you get to ride all year long. Also, if I split lanes as you can I'd want to have the best peripheral vision possible.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good review HOP, thanks.

Also, if I split lanes as you can I'd want to have the best peripheral vision possible.
Thanks. In my experience of years of daily lane splitting, full faced helmets never cut down my peripheral vision. FYI, The California Highway Patrol doesn't wear full faced helmets and they split lanes all the time.

I enjoy wearing a half helmet for the 'wind in your face' rider experience and I also like hearing better with the half helmet. I like hearing my engine and I want to hear sirens and vehicles around me even though these are still muffled some.

If I'm commuting for long distances at high speeds (e.g. freeways) I'll always opt for my full faced helmet. I've been smacked in the face by a bee at high speed and it felt like I was hit by a rock that soon after was burning into my face. I don't want to imagine myself tumbling along a freeway from an 80 mph fall with a half helmet on. Where I use my half helmet around town I rarely reach even 50 mph. so during those relaxed rides I like to enjoy the wind and being less confined in a face bubble.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I'm a fan of the Bell Pit Boss

Reactions: dsbarros

·
Super Moderator
6,927 Posts
I used to not wear a FF in part because I thought they looked out of place on a cruiser. Once I started wearing one all the time I realized that I was never going to know what others thought about it. And anyway, I just no longer care. One of the upsides of growing old I guess is that much of our personal vanity fades away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have this LS2 reb helmet. Tried it on at Americade 2 years ago. Fit perfect. Didn‘t want to lug it around and figured I would go back to the vendor at the end of the day. Well I was no where near the vendor tent when huge rain clouds came. Figured I would get it online bummer really because I’d rather support the little guy paying over a grand a day to have his tent there. same price online plus shipping. Seems not to fit the same. Same size but strap under chin tighter even with all the slack taken out. has a rachet type clip which I have only catching a few teeth if that makes sense. 2 years later you’d think it would seem looser but not really. with googles it’s pretty good but with glasses the stem of the glasses gets pinched between the helmet and my ears. best to have googles with a thin strap.
the plastic screw that holds the visor on came off at highway speed. Visor blocked my vision. all good but when I pulled over I couldn’t find that darn screw. I called LS2 and they sent a couple free of charge. So their customer service was excellent. product Worth the $129

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Reviews were mixed. Someone complained of excessive foam making it even more like a mushroom. I must say I can't stand helmets that sit on top of your head bobbing around.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seems not to fit the same. Same size but strap under chin tighter even with all the slack taken out. has a rachet type clip which I have only catching a few teeth if that makes sense. 2 years later you’d think it would seem looser but not really. with googles it’s pretty good but with glasses the stem of the glasses gets pinched between the helmet and my ears. best to have googles with a thin strap.
Just for some context for readers, you may have had an unusual experience with fit as I read many reviews and don't recall anyone expressing issues with the strap. Mine had so much chin strap adjustment I cut some off and still have room to loosen it if needed.

I've worn my sun glasses with this helmet and didn't experience any pinching of the stems.

The chin strap fastens with a locking metal strip of metal, and I think it only takes one of two of the 'teeth' to lock, but if only a few teeth engage, you simply adjust the strap length so more teeth engage. Like I mentioned, the strap length is plenty long enough in my experience with helmet straps (owned about 9 different helmets).

Good tip about the screw on the visor. I'll put some loctite on mine now to help with them loosening over time.

My only gripe with this helmet so far is how dark the visor is. It's downright dangerous when the sun starts going down because it's so dark. Fortunately, you can order several shades for this; Clear, yellow tint, & chrome. I bought a chrome replacement for $15.00 and I'll report back on how it performs.

One last review comment and it has to do with the back of the neck coverage. My other half helmet drops down about an inch more on the back of the neck so wearing this one makes it noticeable more 'breezy' back there. This is fine during the warm months, but if you wear the helmet when it's cold out you either need a high collar jacket (mine are) or a scarf. This is actually a feature though when it's hot out, which is when most people wear a half helmet anyway, I'm guessing.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Good review.
But just like any other half helmet, just stow some clear sunglasses on the bike instead of having to pull over and change shields. Most often you have to change as you're riding and the sun is going down.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good review.
But just like any other half helmet, just stow some clear sunglasses on the bike instead of having to pull over and change shields. Most often you have to change as you're riding and the sun is going down.
Good tip about having a plan 'b' if you choose to ride with the dark shade and get caught out when the sun goes down. The beauty of the flip down in-helmet design is flipping it up to stow in-helmet allows the rider to pop on goggles or riding glasses of their choice. I prefer to not have to carry a 'plan b' if the in-helmet shade were less dark as my former half-helmet shade was.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
True, good tip. I carry clear safety glasses in the tank pouch. For night time. Sometimes you just stay somewhere a little longer than expected and you're riding home after dark.

·
Registered
4 Posts
[/QUOTE]
The chin strap fastens with a locking metal strip of metal, and I think it only takes one of two of the 'teeth' to lock, but if only a few teeth engage, you simply adjust the strap length so more teeth engage. Like I mentioned, the strap length is plenty long enough in my experience with helmet straps (owned about 9 different helmets)

Over the past 35 years of riding I have had more helmets then I can remember. I have 3 in the rotation now and two more in the basement. Never had this issue with a short chin strap. I wish this one had a strap that was too long were you had to cut away the extra. just giving my review as a actual owner of this. The one at the vendor tent fit perfect the one I got online didn't. Same size. Take it for what it is.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts