Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for the X to be so loud when changing gears? My seems to be very lous when I shift between any gear although down shifting seems louder. There is not grinding. The actual clutch seems fine and oil level is good. It just feels like the gears are smacking into another harder than they should. There is not any resistance while shifting, it just seems too loud and harsh.

The bike (05 1800R) only has 3K miles on it. Any adjustments to be made? Will installing the MTC clutch kit make any difference?

Thanks,

Rho

·
Registered
488 Posts
Mine still does it too....from what I've seen here on the board, it is the result of the square cut gears...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see you have a formidable list of goodies on yours, do you have the stock clutch? Have you been able to make any adjustments?

It is kinda embarassing at a light......

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey Rho!

Looks like I am just northwest of you a little. I work at the FD in Noblesville as well. Good to see a fellow central Indianan here!

The previous post was right. Those shifts will always be loud. Don't worry about being embarrased, it is what it is.

Cam

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Xbox,

Glad to know ya! I get over that way sometimes.

Thanks for the moral support on the gears. I just can believe someone on this board hasn't created a mod for this. I bet someone will post a tweak of some kind. It maybe way too $$ but it would be good to know.

I am glad that I am not breaking anything. And I still would not trade it is for anything....

·
Registered
370 Posts
The shift from first to neutral will normally be a bit harsh unless you have shifted from first to neutral while stopped and not released the clutch.

While rolling, I have found that there are certain combinations of throttle and rpm that let the bike shift very smoothly, but get outside of the sweet spot and the shifts can be rather rough...especially 1st to 2nd where you pass through neutral.

One technique for downshifting at stoplights is to wait until you're very slow for the gear, but still moving, and downshift. When you get ready to go from 2nd to 1st, go to neutral first and let the clutch out and back in, then shift to 1st (do this while still rolling) and it'll slide into first like butter. Now if you go to neutral at the light and don't let out the clutch then when you go back to first it will be easy again. If you let out the clutch while in neutral, however, there's not much you can do to stop the clunk.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That fits in line with what I have noticed. There does seem to be a sweet spot now that I think about it. I will try those techniques as well.

And yes "Clunk" is a very accurate term. That is exactly the term for it.

Thanks for the info.

Rho

·
Registered
488 Posts
Still stock clutch....only got about 4K miles on it...

No adjustments that I've seen help...kinda like a previous post, 1st to 2nd and likewise 2nd to 1st as well as going from N to 1st is noisy, beyond that they're hardly noticable.

I found early on after I got mine that if I was in Neutral at a light, when I went to put it back into 1st, I couldn't get it to shift even with the clutch in. A buddy of mine that had a C back then, said to grab the clutch twice, then shift...has worked every time since.

BTW, I'm running Amsoil now, but at the first oil change I put HP4 in and neither made a difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts