Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my VH Bigshots installed. I was a little worried about how hard it was going to be, but a friend wasn't available to help with it, so I did it myself.

All in all, the install was pretty easy...surprisingly so. I did it slow; I'm not sure how long it took, but I didn't set any speed records.

I did add some stainless split washers under the acorn nuts and a little antiseize to the acorn threads. I was surprised at how tight 17ft/lbs was...I was getting a little concerned as the wrench just kept turning and turning and turning... I did a few threads at a time on each bolt; it took a while, but I don't seem to have any exhaust leaks, so it was worth it I suppose.

Getting over the front jug wasn't a problem, since I knew what was coming. I hope it never gets old to hear, but the collective experience on these boards is priceless. I thought lining up the banjo bolts on the rear bracket was more irritating.

Thanks to everyone for posting their experiences.

Pingwax

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The exhaust note is deep and satisfying. The improvement overstock is huge.

They are loud; I'm not sure if I will get the quite baffles yet. On the road, they have a satisfying note and volume, but in the neighborhood they are loud enough to make me selfconcious about coming home late at night.

·
Registered
76 Posts
pingwax said:
The exhaust note is deep and satisfying. The improvement overstock is huge.

They are loud; I'm not sure if I will get the quite baffles yet. On the road, they have a satisfying note and volume, but in the neighborhood they are loud enough to make me selfconcious about coming home late at night.
AWESOME

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Are these on a C or a R? On the R's it's a good idea before install to drill an access hole thru the heat shields above the baffle screw for access or to change them later you have to drop the pipes.

Wonder why each sets design is different?

Don

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah, I wish I drilled a hole. I'm wanting to take out the baffles and from what I can tell, I have to completely take off the pipes so I can get to the screw that is holding them in. Oh well. Live and learn.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The "R" pipes have to route differently as the "C" pipes would hit the floorboards.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I didn't reply on this sooner.

These were on the C; I did see some of the warnings about the baffle screws, but fortunately didn't have a problem.

Having had the exhaust for a few days now, I can say that the exhaust volume no longer concerns me. As long as you keep your right hand under control, you can manage the noise in the neighborhood no problem...its just that getting the right hand under control takes some practice :D . When you do get on it (or are showing them off to your friends :p ) they have a damn satisfying sound.

I'm pretty happy with the pipes; they definately give the bike more personality in both sound and look. On the road, the volume fades quite a bit from the riders perspective, but if you pass any thing big and flat; the sound reflects back to you and you know that other people are aware that you're around.

One last thing, the quality of the pipes was impressive; they seem to be really well made. The stock exhaust, though, impressed me even more from a build quality perspective; somebody put a lot of time into designing it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts