Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had previously posted back in October (when my bike was hit by a car :cry: and knocked over) that I was experiencing a vibration. It was hit in the front tire and tipped over onto the exhaust side with only minor cosmetic damage apparent. I have since checked my exhaust and no part of it is touching anything that it is not supposed too. The exhaust does seem slightly louder however. Anyway, I still have the vibration and still cannot figure out what is causing it. The bike runs fine, it just vibrates all over and it vibrates faster the more throttle you give it and less so at idle. My friend who hit it says "A little vibration never hurt anything" (of course he says that he is the one that hit it causing the vibration) but when that vibration wasn't there before it bothers me. Any ideas, thoughts or opinions???????? My only other option is to take it to a dealer to be charged out the butt and have them say "uhhh, don't know".

Thanks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Depending on how hard it fell over I would definatly check engine mounts, exhaust fittings and anything motor related that may have broke loose. It's a heavy bike anything could have happened. Did the air intake cover hit?? If so check to see there are no leaks including intake manifold ect.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
KapnFX said:
I had previously posted back in October (when my bike was hit by a car :cry: and knocked over) that I was experiencing a vibration. It was hit in the front tire and tipped over onto the exhaust side with only minor cosmetic damage apparent. I have since checked my exhaust and no part of it is touching anything that it is not supposed too. The exhaust does seem slightly louder however. Anyway, I still have the vibration and still cannot figure out what is causing it. The bike runs fine, it just vibrates all over and it vibrates faster the more throttle you give it and less so at idle. My friend who hit it says "A little vibration never hurt anything" (of course he says that he is the one that hit it causing the vibration) but when that vibration wasn't there before it bothers me. Any ideas, thoughts or opinions???????? My only other option is to take it to a dealer to be charged out the butt and have them say "uhhh, don't know".

Thanks.
"C" or "R" model?
Why you ask...
The heat shield could be touching your floorboard bracket (if it's an "R" model) after the pipes heat up a bit. I had a terrible vibration after installing V&H pipes. Drove me crazy. I shimmed out the floorboard bracket to get it away from the heat shield and the problem went away.
Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
64,384 Posts
You should have had a dealer give it a thorough going over at the expense of the person that hit you right after it happened. There are so many things it could be, or a combination of things out of whack. 8)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a 2003 C model and the only things that were noticeably damaged were the exhaust tip (stock exhaust), throttle end cap, right front turn signal, right mirror, brake lever, brake pedal and left shock guard. I was hoping to replace the exhaust this Spring and see if it changed things any, but unfortunately my property taxes and insurance decided otherwise ha ha ha.
My friend feels really bad and has replaced all of the damaged parts and I am sure that he would pay for the dealer to check it out, unfortunatley all of the dealers in my area are pretty incompetent and I don't see them being able to discover anything more that I could myself.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
I would check if there are any other experienced VTX folks in your area and confer with them... It's so hard to diagnose vague problems like this from text alone, there is so much more to be gained from seeing the bike in person.
Check for local folks who might be able to look and offer advice (there are so many nice folks on this forum alone) and go from there. If all else fails I would try to find a shop to review it, ask them if they'll charge you if they don't find anything wrong - but I definitely think you need to have it checked, it might be dangerous and you don't realize it. :wink:

·
Registered
381 Posts
hankstered said:
Depending on how hard it fell over I would definatly check engine mounts, exhaust fittings and anything motor related that may have broke loose. It's a heavy bike anything could have happened. Did the air intake cover hit?? If so check to see there are no leaks including intake manifold ect.
This is my guess also. The motors are hard and rubber mounted. Check for cracks or breaks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts