Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 VTX 1800S all stock. It has 37,000 kms (22,000 miles). when riding at cruising speed city or highway does not matter what gear if i go ver a dip or even hit bumps on the road I get a vibration in the bike. This vibration is not present if the clutch is pulled. This vibration feels as if I went over some rumble strips. or even if you had a set of lowers that were a tad loose and vibrate in the wind. It does not seem to come through the handlebar. I tend to look at my floorboard as if it was bearing related.
To me its in the engine.
I have new plugs no difference
New final drive fluid no difference
Put new tires on with no difference

If someone could put me in a direction that would be great. For all I know this is normal. First 1800.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the bike out again with my wife on the back. Once i pointed it out to her she also felt it. At 45 mph in 4th gear it showed again, i shifted to 3rd and it seemed to disappear, and sane as in 5th even though the bike was. Lugging. I believe it is just the rpm range of the bike. It has never seen a valve adjustment or throttle sync to my knowledge in the last 10,000-15,000 kms. Old owner can no confirm.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
It's a big Honda V twin. They vibrate. They sound like a sewing machine. Try a good set of shocks, Progressive springs, and a more comfortable seat and maybe then the vibrations won't be as noticeable. New shock bushings too.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I have been looking into a mustang or ultimate seat, but the cost of new in canada is $1000 for either. Trying to find a used one if possible.
Lots of guys from up there make a trip south , get what they need, then go back. Some even keep US postal boxes and addresses just so they can run across the border and pick up their stuff.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have been looking into a mustang or ultimate seat, but the cost of new in canada is $1000 for either. Trying to find a used one if possible.

I have found many people remove the aftermarket seats when they sell a bike, then sell the seat separate. Get more $ that way. Keep an eye on Kijiji, I picked up one for my Shadow that way.

Lots of guys from up there make a trip south , get what they need, then go back. Some even keep US postal boxes and addresses just so they can run across the border and pick up their stuff.

This is what I do, but I only live 45 mins from the border, for others it might not be that easy. I’ll be making a run this week to pick up my Crotch Cooler. Tracking says it will be there Tuesday.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members/95246-smurfy71-albums-my-vtx1300-picture40314-img-1373.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No luck here for a seat. I posted on vtxoa and the cafe. Searched facebook and kijiji canada wide. Been searching all this year. Getting to the point of just biting the bullit and buying new.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I took the bike out again with my wife on the back. Once i pointed it out to her she also felt it. At 45 mph in 4th gear it showed again, i shifted to 3rd and it seemed to disappear, and sane as in 5th even though the bike was. Lugging. I believe it is just the rpm range of the bike. It has never seen a valve adjustment or throttle sync to my knowledge in the last 10,000-15,000 kms. Old owner can no confirm.
Sounds like your just lugging the engine. 45mph in 4th is lugging the engine, thats why it goes away when you shift into 3rd.

·
Registered
59 Posts
No luck here for a seat. I posted on vtxoa and the cafe. Searched facebook and kijiji canada wide. Been searching all this year. Getting to the point of just biting the bullit and buying new.
I sent you a PM rilcoat regarding ultimate pricing in Canada and a used Ultimate solo for sale in Edmonton.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As crazy a it sounds, I sold the bike tonight for a nice profit, but i did check all exhaust bolts, engine mounts, and tightened the battery connections.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you replace the wheel bearings. They can react in all sorts of ways when bad. Worth doing either way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts