Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
63,689 Posts
2009 Indian.....No JMHO
Present day Indian, sure but that 2009 has little to no infrastructure so parts will be nonexistent both OEM and aftermarket. Those years built in NC were of limited production numbers and not very well built. Now, Polaris makes them so they are a ton better and much more reliable. You want a bike to ride buy a Victory and even a Harley of that year 2009 would be better than the Indian

·
Registered
476 Posts
Test ride the Vic if you are thinking about one. The handlebar grips are too close together and at 70 mph your head will be getting knocked around. That is my initial impression. And the bike is quieter than my X.

·
Super Moderator
63,689 Posts
2013 to present, since Polaris started making their own Indian engines and putting them in their frames. Either way, Victory or Indian both are made by Polaris in the same area of Spirit Lake Iowa. You can get a lot more bike for less with the Vic Cross Country though

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
2013 to present, since Polaris started making their own Indian engines and putting them in their frames. Either way, Victory or Indian both are made by Polaris in the same area of Spirit Lake Iowa. You can get a lot more bike for less with the Vic Cross Country though
Like Spike said :thumbup: The CMC and Kings Mountain "Indians" were just the 2nd & 3rd to last companies to own the Indian name, and they both went under. If the Indian name & style trip your trigger, I'd go with the current nameholder i.e. Polaris, because they're more modern and reliable, parts are assured, and at least Polaris has the deep pockets needed to support the brand, unlike the predecessors. For more of a VTX-like power/performance concept, the Victory are a worthy choice to consider.

·
Super Moderator
63,689 Posts
My 2012 Vic XC was a great bike. As much power as the VTX but because of all the extra weight for bags and such it will feel heavier. It moves, fast. Handles better than the VTX, slow and fast. The buffeting was addressed about year ago or so and they now include lowers that helped soften the bffeting. I added lowers to mine and the bike was very quiet going through the air. It's a great touring platform

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 2012 Vic XC was a great bike. As much power as the VTX but because of all the extra weight for bags and such it will feel heavier. It moves, fast. Handles better than the VTX, slow and fast. The buffeting was addressed about year ago or so and they now include lowers that helped soften the bffeting. I added lowers to mine and the bike was very quiet going through the air. It's a great touring platform
Thanks again Spike. I imagine you have been riding bikes since before I was born (1970) so your opinion matters. If you were in my shoes and about to drop $15000 on a bike which bike would you choose? Harley? Indian? Victory? Other?

Thanks for the input Spike!

·
Super Moderator
63,689 Posts
I'm only 3 years older, born 1967. What to buy?? Well, what do you want to do with it would be my question. If you ask me what I would buy again, for touring I would say another Harley Road Glide. The Road Glide and the Vic XC are closely matched in every way. Harley wins hands down for the shear amount of aftermarket stuff you can get easily and cheaper than most metric bike parts. As long as you find a Road Glide in the 2013 and up with the 103 engine and if you fnd one where the previous owner did nothing to the internal parts of the engine. This is where I have found most Harleys to be less reliable. When owners crack open the engine to add piston upgrades, cam upgrades, etc..... the engines lose their reliability and become picky as to what fuels they will run best on. Leave the insides alone, add your pipes and fuel manager just like the VTX or Vic and they will be just fine and take you all over the country just like my two did with no problems. Second choice would be another Vic XC

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm only 3 years older, born 1967. What to buy?? Well, what do you want to do with it would be my question. If you ask me what I would buy again, for touring I would say another Harley Road Glide. The Road Glide and the Vic XC are closely matched in every way. Harley wins hands down for the shear amount of aftermarket stuff you can get easily and cheaper than most metric bike parts. As long as you find a Road Glide in the 2013 and up with the 103 engine and if you fnd one where the previous owner did nothing to the internal parts of the engine. This is where I have found most Harleys to be less reliable. When owners crack open the engine to add piston upgrades, cam upgrades, etc..... the engines lose their reliability and become picky as to what fuels they will run best on. Leave the insides alone, add your pipes and fuel manager just like the VTX or Vic and they will be just fine and take you all over the country just like my two did with no problems. Second choice would be another Vic XC
Another foot in mouth moment for me. Just figured with how much you know about bikes you had to be an older man. My bad.

I am looking for another good cruiser. I don't ride long distances so fairings, hard bags and the like don't appeal to me. Most riders I talk to say Harley all the way but I would feel like a sell out if I bought one. Guess I need to get over that. What's a good Harley that competes with my vtx?

Thanks for the help Spike!

·
Registered
476 Posts
For a cruiser, I don't know if the vtx can be beat. Have you got a 1800 already?

If you are talking Vic for a cruiser, you are not going to want the XC or the XCT. I would think more like the Gunner.

Indian chief dark horse.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Another foot in mouth moment for me. Just figured with how much you know about bikes you had to be an older man. My bad.

I am looking for another good cruiser. I don't ride long distances so fairings, hard bags and the like don't appeal to me. Most riders I talk to say Harley all the way but I would feel like a sell out if I bought one. Guess I need to get over that. What's a good Harley that competes with my vtx?

Thanks for the help Spike!
I took Larry's advice (Chicago Spike) 3 years ago when I was looking for another bike and I went with the Harley Ultra Classic and I have been very satisfied. I was all ready to buy a Victory CC but after consulting with Larry he assured me that HD was his choice should he buy another bike and that was good enough for me. You can take his direction to the bank.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Victory or Indian are my top choices whenever I decide that my X is no longer doing it for me. At that, I love Victories, but the Indian Chief is just absolutely gorgeous in every way.....that Thunderstroke 111 I'm sure will keep the power that I've come to expect from a bike. My dad is looking at the Chieftain Dark Horse.....that's a mean mother as well. You looking at the Chief Roadmaster I'd say is a very good choice. My only thing is that Victory would be easier to get parts for, as they are a tad bit more established. I still want a Kingpin....lol

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I just sold my 04 Vegas. I wanted something for the less traveled two lanes and this one filled the bill. I have nothing but praise for the Vic engines. I only let go because it had 36K on it and was ready for a slab eating bike just like this vtx.

I wish I could have kept it. You cannot go wrong with Vics.

IMG_3204.JPG

·
Registered
886 Posts
As you know I LOVE my 1800...but the best looking "lines" are on ANY Victory motorcycle. They just look fast, even when they're on the kickstands.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts