Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a lot of posts on here regarding saddlebags. I am looking for bags for my Retro. Probably won't use them everyday so I prefer quick detach.

Does anyone have these Viking Bags.
http://www.vikingbags.com/vtx-rs-saddlebags-29-prd1.html or these ones http://www.vikingbags.com/vtx-1300-saddlebags-30-prd1.html
These bags don't use any hardware or mounting brackets, just stock bolts. Is this enough support? They are big and hug the bike and are similar to the Hondaline bags which I like.

I also came upon these from US Saddlebag Co. http://www.ussaddlebag.com/saddlebags.html
I like a fairly plain look, no studs or conchos, but the inlays and flames look pretty cool. I know they aren't necessarily quick detach, but the video on the site shows it's a pretty quick install and to take off supports.

If anyone can tell me how the quality, looks, and customer service for either bag is it would be very much appreciated.

PS: Don't like the look of hardbags.

Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've got the US Saddlebag Co bags on my 1300 C. They are well made and very high quality. The customer service is excellent. I have the bags with the inlayed flames. Their bags are not quite as roomy as Boss Bags but the price is not as much either. The bags come off very quickly and each side has a key lock to secure the bag to the mounting bracket. I went with these because of the more streamlined look they offered. I felt their saddlebags complimented the looks of the C model.

Gary

G

·
I have the Viking Bags. They have a molded plastic back piece that take the shocks into consideration. It has a metal frame on the inside that supports the bags. The leather is pretty thick. It was not made in the USA. However, they are nice bags for the price. The only thing with them is that they do not come with mounting bolts. A quick trip to Home Depot, and 4 bolts and fender washers did the the job.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Actually, my US Saddle bags will be arriving today.
I ordered the ones with the black flames too.

I was totally impressed with the video on thier website and the design of the bag is real nice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got US Saddlebags on my 1300C as well. The quality is great and it doesn't really take that much time to take them off. I did have a blemish on one of my bags and I called customer service. I had a new bag at my house within days and I shipped them back the one with the blemish. Not a ton of room in the standard bag as stated above so it maybe worth the additional $75 for the larger bag?

Wayne

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have seen the US bags at a trade show. Very high quality and very good looking. I would go with them if I did not already have the Honda bags. Quick disconnect is pretty nice, too.

·
Registered
437 Posts
On the US Saddlebags the bags are quick detach but the frame for them is bolted on. Great for cleaning but not good for riding without bags. They are great quality, maybe the best (Boss owners will argue that).

·
Registered
156 Posts
oh crap!!!!.............

Just got my US bags today.
I'm stunned by the quality. 1st rate prodcut.
Mtg brackets are amongst the most solid design I've ever seen.

Can't wait till saturday to put them on!!!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Ive got the studded standards on my 1300C they really look great with my studded ultimate seat!

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have US Saddlebags with the black flames on my 1300C. They are great. Could be roomier, but I suspect you could say that about any bag. I really like the quick release. The only down side that I've found is this: once you have them removed the built-in handles are pretty much useless. Unless you have really small flat hands you aren't going to be carrying them far. I think they should have made a way to connect the left and right side bags together with a shoulder harness so you could carry them into your hotel room. Other than that, they are great bags, and I would buy them again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.