Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered Vikings easy brackets and I have tried every combo to get the slots to line up and bracket to lock. So far this is the only combo I could get to work. Due to the C's tapering towards the rear, to keep the bags from sticking to far out, the bags are going to have to follow the taper. Wished Viking would box the rear ends of the bracket, would be at least cleaner. Anyone have Viking brackets on 1300C?

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Wonder why they left the ends open, Mine are closed, but then again I got mine here so guess they are not the same as Vikings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, not sure. Looks unfinished! Going to have to fab something up. Just doesn't look right.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Your right that's unfinished looking, :cautious: I've seen rectangular shaped plugs, but where would a person find a pair of black plugs that would work and look nice :unsure:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your right that's unfinished looking, :cautious: I've seen rectangular shaped plugs, but where would a person find a pair of black plugs that would work and look nice :unsure:
Thankfully, I got some friends that do sheetmetal work, so I probably can get them to fab up some aluminum panels. Then just screw them on. Will have to figure something out.

·
Registered
32,102 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything from Viking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have/had those same brackets. I used spacers to push out the docking posts to line up with each other. The problem is as you mentioned the fender tapers (I've always hated that look) but the slot in the front docking post run fairly parallel with the bike center-line (for the most part, there is some tilt due to the bolts going into the fender bracket perpendicular to the rail). The front post has a short spacer and the back has a longer spacer. I had to space out the front one first because mounting the QD brackets straight with the center-line meant it would hit the fender rail at the farthest forward fender bolt. The rear one is tilted more away from that center-line but not so much that you can't get the bags on/off. I just had to jiggle the bags a bit and they slide right up and off. I did have to buy longer bolts.
The rear of the bags/brackets do stick out a bit that way (which is ugly but the easy on/off was worth it for me at the time. I'm now in the market for new bags (left side bag was destroyed) and I'm contemplating just using the regular hard mounts since I did had the bags on more often then not as I ride a lot to work and do longer rides more often then short local jaunts.
If someone comes up with a decent cap to close off the rear of the brackets, I'd buy a pair, might convince me to keep the QD's on whatever new bags I get.

And if anyone knows of decent, reasonably priced bags (no nylon, canvas or rigid hard bags) that can be had plain (no metal buckles, studs, conchos, etc, I live in Florida!) AND...does not come pre-damaged with holes in the backside for throw-over straps that will never get used, please let me know.

20160314_203037.jpg

The picture was meant to show the 1800C seat mod I put on my 1300C but it kind of shows the QD posts. I'm still looking for a better solution as I'd prefer to keep some sort of QD on saddlebags.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts