Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks, time to start making plans for those all important summer rides. Seems like they all tend to congregate around the end of June, first of July.

If Colorado on the July 4th weekend is too far, hows about Fredricksburg VA on 6/26-28? I figure a little short of 600 miles from Indy (hey, thats a lot shorter than the 1200 from Indy to Denver). I know Country Girl could do both on back to back weekends and not complain! Racer would complain if it were 50!!

Anyway, just a thought. A good thread going on the ride on the main board. I think I'll go. 500 miles from Wilmington, so not bad.

No Hoot this year, so picks your poison!

Woot!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you've not been on I-64 thru West Virginia and western Virginia you're missing a great motorcycle road. Fast sweepers and lots of scenery.

I was surprised to see on the boards how many were out of jobs due to the economy. Hope you all are keeping gainfully employed, or else enjoying retirement.

Woot!

·
Registered
646 Posts
we went to Virginia a few years back and fell in love with the roads..
Alot like the Smokies without all the business,Have to watch out for the
logging trucks and black bear.
We are finally at the end of our 3 year remodel, should be painting
next weekend....which means lots more time on the bike this coming year.
We will keep that date open and keep us posted as it gets closer
Keep safe
Karen

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we went to Virginia a few years back and fell in love with the roads..
Alot like the Smokies without all the business,Have to watch out for the
logging trucks and black bear.
We are finally at the end of our 3 year remodel, should be painting
next weekend....which means lots more time on the bike this coming year.
We will keep that date open and keep us posted as it gets closer
Keep safe
Karen
Only 3 years, speedy by my standards. The Illinois house took over 10 years and only got done because I was laid off and we had to sell to go to Virginia (pressure helps get things done!).

Speaking of bears, just yesterday the news in Lynchburg reported a bear sighting in town. I've yet to see one, but I hear they're common in some areas.

Woot!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I think this ride is dooable....Sounds interesting, 50 miles huh?
I can do that

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad to hear it Racer! I figured I could shame you into a ride.

Well, I went and bought another bike. Had it a month and haven't ridden it yet. Why did I get it? The VTX got custom painted in September and now she's so pretty I'm afraid to ride her and maybe put a scratch on it. Especially this time of year. Soo, I needed something to work on during these long lonely nights and then ride it to work, B&N, etc.

Began by polishing the forks, triple clamp, pulling off the faring and puting heavier weight oil in the forks, degreasing the chain and stuff. Its a Suzuki SV650S model. The exhausts looked like crap so cleaned that up. Marvel of marvels, no leftover parts and it actually ran after puting it all together again. It was great to have grease and oil on my hands again, and on my face and parts of my body that I scratched (TMI?). Course, couldn't do a job without the obligatory skin against a hot exhaust header. Ahhh, the sizzle,the smell and the burn!! Gotta love it.

Its a carbed bike, and its ever so cold blooded. Takes 5 minutes to get it to run decently without the choke. Gives you a new appreciation for EFI. Next week gonna take it out for the first time and see what falls off. Pessimistic aint I!!

Woot!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts