Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine idles at 14.26v, and when I rev the engine it drops to 13.46v. Exactly opposite of what I expected. I thought my Kury LED voltage display was malfunctioning but I tested with my voltmeter. Is this to be expected or do I have a component about to fail? I just changed out the battery and the results were same with old batter & new. By the way, the bike starts and runs without any noticable problems.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Personally I would not worry about it. I have had several bikes do that. As long as it is over 13 I would call it good. Under 13 its aging of the battery and still have a lot of life

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
R U just giving it a blip of the throttle or holding it at higher RPMs for a while???? +13 is good enough to charge.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
R U just giving it a blip of the throttle or holding it at higher RPMs for a while???? +13 is good enough to charge.
I'm holding it at high RPMs. It just kind of surprised me that it would drop.

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
What is the battery voltage at the starter relay?

I have noticed a difference in voltage from a measurement at the Black/Brown to ground vs at the battery.
With all the grounds going to the yellow connector then a single wire going to common electronics ground carrying everything its lower.
14.26 volts is good, 13.46 is battery maintainer charge - it keeps it healthy, not enough to really charge it.

A check of stator AC connector and of stator output AC voltage on all phases.
A check of the regulator DC connector and output voltage at the connector.

PER Yuasa:: (Note: the voltage reading should be approx. 14.0 - 14.5 volts to properly charge an AGM battery.)

My OE R/R voltage:
14.8 volts DC engine idle; 14.3 volts DC engine moderate RPM (2,000 -2500)

My Mosfet R/R: 14.14 V idle; 14.38V at 2k+ RPM

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
sounds like your regulator is working fine.
quicker charge at idle and lower charge when riding means less strain on the stator.

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
So just like my own, higher RPM = less voltage.
But mine is in the "charging" range, your measurement is not.

PER Yuasa:: (Note: the voltage reading should be approx. 14.0 - 14.5 volts to properly charge an AGM battery.)

What was it like in January when you installed the Kury volt monitor?

Check the items I listed in a previous post. You may find something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts