Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, fellow riders. I'm fairly new to riding my vtx 1300. Transitioned from Cbr 1000.
Ok, I think my son turned my key switch to on position and I didn't notice. So battery was completely drained. I used my car to jump my cbr with no problem. Tried to jump my vtx and while trying to start bike, something popped. Battery is holding a charge. So I connected battery back to post and nothing. Turned key to off and on, no lights no nada. I'm thinking I may have messed something up with the electrical system. I read thats possible if car was running but car was not running when I tried to give bike a jump.
Please if you know, if this is something minor or major, cheap or is it a arm and leg. Really I just want to ride. Summer is here. So I'm hoping its something minor.
Also recommendations on shops in Houston area.

Thanks in advance
God Bless

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
Check all fuses, esp. the 2 under the rear of the left side cover. There are 3 there, but one is a spare. They are 30 amp mains. FWIW, I recommend you change ALL the fuses, on both sides of the battery box, with the EZ-ID kind that light up when they pop. Let us know if this got you going.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Using auto jumper cables on a motorcycle may have burned fuses because of too many amps. They do make jumper cables for motorcycles that are rated for lower amperage to jump start a motorcycle. Avoid using auto jumper cables on a motorcycle battery. You could fry something electrical.

·
Registered
436 Posts
You can get one of those little jumper battery pack thingys on amazon or wherever for $40-50. I used one to jump my bike and you can take it with you on trips. Why not have the cbr and the x? I do :)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Also, it takes a surprising amount of amps to get our bikes started, think of in the world of a car. So, you will want to replace that battery. Go with a Yuasa BS-14H battery. This has a higher than stock CCA rating. Also note, people seem to have been reporting that they have ordered batteries and had the terminals on the wrong side. The link below is the correct battery for a 1300. Also, be sure to secure the bolts for the battery with a wrench, NOT a screwdriver. If you use a screwdriver, you will be back here asking why your bike is intermittently acting up.

If you don't already have a battery tender lead, it would be a good time to add the lead so you can quickly connect a trickle charger on it. Mine is always on the trickle charger when its in my garage.

Amazon.com: Yuasa YUAM6RH4H YTX14H-BS Battery: Automotive

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
Reactions: CityCowboy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello, fellow riders. I'm fairly new to riding my vtx 1300. Transitioned from Cbr 1000.
Ok, I think my son turned my key switch to on position and I didn't notice. So battery was completely drained. I used my car to jump my cbr with no problem. Tried to jump my vtx and while trying to start bike, something popped. Battery is holding a charge. So I connected battery back to post and nothing. Turned key to off and on, no lights no nada. I'm thinking I may have messed something up with the electrical system. I read thats possible if car was running but car was not running when I tried to give bike a jump.
Please if you know, if this is something minor or major, cheap or is it a arm and leg. Really I just want to ride. Summer is here. So I'm hoping its something minor.
Also recommendations on shops in Houston area.

Thanks in advance
God Bless
Ok I tried all what everyone said. All fuses are good. Battery good. What else could it be? I do see something though. I do not know what its called though. I'm going to attach a picture. It looks a little burnt. Could this be the issue.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I do not know which circuit that connector goes to, but the terminals and heavy red wire both show signs of overheating, The wire could be damaged and the terminals in the connector show heavy signs of arcing. Do a continuity test from a point past the burned area to the terminal. If no continuity then try using a small precision file to clean up some of the arcing in the terminal and check again. I'm sure Hans will get back to you soon. He is very good with electrical problems.

·
Registered
12,756 Posts
Looking at pictures sometimes some objects are distorted.

3 pin connector with 3 wires: Red, Red/Black stripe(R/Bl) and Blue/Orange(Bu/O) is the Ignition switch wiring.

Red wire from the +12v from the 30 amp fuse to IGN sw.
Bu/O is the wire for the cooling fan at the radiator.
R/Bl feeds the fuse panel for Headlight, Speedometer/Tail lights/DRL, IGN, TS/Brake/Horn

Reactions: rangers4u
1 - 10 of 10 Posts