Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been discussed before, I have searched the forums and could not locate a direct answer. I have a 2003 VTX 1300, 38k miles. The temperature light comes on, I have flushed and replaced the antifreeze, I do not have any leaks, the fan comes on when engine is not running and key is on, the fan fuse is not blown, I can not notice if the fan is coming on while riding. I am stuck at what else to check or what else it could be. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
917 Posts
Try the fan sensor thingamabob...

Reactions: MR VTX

·
Registered
786 Posts
There is also a thermostat to the rear of the coolant fill cap under the fuel tank. Although I don't remember hearing of one going bad. If it did , would cause overheating. Temperature sending unit could act up.

·
Registered
11,707 Posts
Fan should not come on unless on creep and crawl in traffic.
Coming on with IGN switch indicates the switch contacts are closed(defective when cold)
or someone has made the fan to run all the time. I suspect fan is running all the time.
When stopped , lean over on the left side and look at the fan.. I can do it!
Temp light comes on When???

The coolant level can only be checked at the thermostat housing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fan should not come on unless on creep and crawl in traffic.
Coming on with IGN switch indicates the switch contacts are closed(defective when cold)
or someone has made the fan to run all the time. I suspect fan is running all the time.
When stopped , lean over on the left side and look at the fan.. I can do it!
Temp light comes on When???

The coolant level can only be checked at the thermostat housing.
Thanks for the reply, The fan isn't running full time, the temp light come on after driving around 15-20 mins. I notice the fan will come on when the bike is not running while the ignition is still on, this is after its been driven and hot. The coolant is full, iv'e had the tank off, did the entire fill/burp, all fuses are good. Maybe a sensor? or thermostat, im not sure how to determine what one it would be without throwing parts at it.

·
Old Goat
25,131 Posts
Deleted............

·
Registered
11,707 Posts
If the temp light goes on when you are riding you have a problem. The fan will run if the temp switch at the bottom of the radiator switches ON due to high heat. You have a problem when you have two indications of trouble..
Air flow blocked at radiator?? Check/clean radiator. Remove thermostat and check opening at correct temp. Make sure the radiator cap is clean, sometimes crap builds up on pressure seal and pushes coolant in recovery tank making it low in the engine.
Step by Step1300 section -- multiple 1300 engine related drawings.

2003 VTX 1300 has an Electric Fuel Pump---The only year a 1300 had a FP.
If and when it fails convert to gravity flow like all 2004 and up have.

Harkon has provided a link to 2004 1300R/S

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update, after driving around 10-15 mins the temp light comes on, the engine fan comes on a few secs after the temp light does. Checked both radiator hoses and they are the same temperature, so im sure the water is getting circulated. I have already checked coolant level under the tank, did the entire fill/burp, fuse is good. Engine Temp Control sensor?

·
Registered
11,707 Posts
How did you determine that both radiator hoses are the same temperature????
If that is the case than no air flow is taking away the heat.
Test the thermostat to see if it is opening enough.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How did you determine that both radiator hoses are the same temperature????
If that is the case than no air flow is taking away the heat.
Test the thermostat to see if it is opening enough.
I stopped in a nearby shop, a tech there used a laser temp gun, he said they were both about the same, no other information as they dont work on bikes older than 10 years but he did me that favor. I'll test the thermostat and post an update. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
12,072 Posts
I stopped in a nearby shop, a tech there used a laser temp gun, he said they were both about the same, no other information as they dont work on bikes older than 10 years but he did me that favor. I'll test the thermostat and post an update. Thanks for the info.
Did you check both sensors like captvelcro mentioned above? There are two sensors: one behind the thermostat housing, and the other under the radiator. Check the electrical connections on both to see if they are on well. Replace them if necessary.

When you checked your coolant level in the overflow tank, was it at the proper level when hot or cold?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts