Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the 2nd time the plastic cover that goes over the tool box has fallen off. Can anyone tell me where I can get something better or cheaper. I need a Black one. The dealer charged me $149 plus tax last time......ripppppp offffffff

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
:?: I guess I don't understand. How does the cover fall off? I've taken mine off several times (I use all those spaces for things other than tools). And I just don't see how it could just fall off.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
lennonaz said:
For the 2nd time the plastic cover that goes over the tool box has fallen off. Can anyone tell me where I can get something better or cheaper. I need a Black one. The dealer charged me $149 plus tax last time......ripppppp offffffff
Are you talking about the side cover or the tool box cover, tool box cover under the side cover? If thats what you're talking about, the cover that has the key lock that the tools are behind then you are getting ripped off. Check this site:

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0413/battery/battery.cfm?man=ho&groupid=13280&parent=13270

This is where you'd find the item and this is the cost:

http://www.ronayers.com/browseparts.cfm?searchstring=50330-MEA-740

But if it is the side cover (one on each side) they are a lot more.

Bruce

G

·
0 Posts
my side cover on the left is gone, too. thought I would have noticed it fly off, but I guess not. Is there a place to get those cheap?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
lennonaz said:

Looks like $99.93 each ; http://www.hondaonlineparts.com/showVie ... 1300C|2004 for painted covers & $25.36 for the plastichrome like come on the retro model..........You may want to make sure all the little rubber friction pieces are still in place, they are all that really hold the cover on........ :D Rod

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Side cover

Donut Drill a small hole in the bottom of each side cover and take some hevy braded 30# fishing line and teather them to the bike. If you put them on wrong (ie) not lineing them up with the rubber gasket (o ring) you'll push the o ring right threw.

·
Registered
816 Posts
the cover has 3 prongs that fasten itself to the bike frame through rubber grommets. sometimes pushing a prong into a "dry" grommet will unseat the grommet. the cover will look fastened but actually is partly dangling on the frame. once you're on the road, the vibrations will cause the cover to pop off the bike. if you're missing grommets, that's probably what happened. THE TRICK - put a little spit on the grommet so the prongs slide easily into it. no friction to unseat the grommet from the frame

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Clasic X said:
... sometimes pushing a prong into a "dry" grommet will unseat the grommet.
It also upsets the grommet :wink:
THE TRICK - put a little spit on the grommet so the prongs slide easily into it.
Works for more than just grommets. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Pöi§ön said:
[quote="Clasic X":3methfgy]... sometimes pushing a prong into a "dry" grommet will unseat the grommet.
It also upsets the grommet :wink:
THE TRICK - put a little spit on the grommet so the prongs slide easily into it.
Works for more than just grommets. :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote:3methfgy]

:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
YOU GUYS!!! :lol: :lol:

By the way, I'm interested in knowing, was it the tool box cover or the side cover he's missing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts