Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem a strange topic but here goes. First are there any people who have ridden both VTX and Harleys in South Florida?. I own two VTX 1300''s . One I keep in South Florida and one in New York. Both have wind shields. However in South Florida there is often wind above 16 MPH, so I lose riding days ,especially highway riding just due to be bounced around by wind . This is more bound to happen above 65 mph. Yet guys are flying by me on Harleys . VTX 1300 weighs 650lbs dry. Harley weighs nearly 850 lbs.
I 'm not sure if the extra 200 pounds accounts for more stability or could it just be the fairing. This doesn't happen to me riding in NY Comments?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I've had a few Harley guys blast pass me way above the speed limit when I was at or slightly above the speed limit. I think it's just a guy's Harley ego proving a point. I don't let it bother me because I'm out riding a motorcycle that was meant for cruising not speeding, I'm out there to enjoy the ride and scenery not to speed. Also a heavy bike is more stable with cross winds and winds against you.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The added weight will help make the bike more stable in the wind, but I’m thinking the way your windshield and other parts of the bike are set up is more important. I’ve driving my X and my old lighter Shadow in stronger winds.

My X has a Batwing which cuts through the wind far better than the Shadow did with a National Cycle Shorty windshield.

If you are talking about a Harley Ultra Classic, look at the set up, they have a full faring, and wind deflection at your legs. The set up is more aerodynamic than your X.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom noises.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
My sharknose is better than a batwing in the wind, generally speaking. It's one reason Honda has a frame mounted fairing on the GW. There are 2 things of concern in the wind. The rider being buffeted about, and the bikes handling. For the first any fairing and front end treatment that helps protect the rider is key. For the second, the specifics of that treatment is important. Ideally you have the best of both worlds.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
I've had a few Harley guys blast pass me way above the speed limit when I was at or slightly above the speed limit. I think it's just a guy's Harley ego proving a point. I don't let it bother me because I'm out riding a motorcycle that was meant for cruising not speeding, I'm out there to enjoy the ride and scenery not to speed. Also a heavy bike is more stable with cross winds and winds against you.
Occasionally I used to enjoy blasting past a Harley knowing they could never keep up. That was my VTX ego showing off😈

Believe me, from experience, far more non-American bikes blow past me, either to prove something, or just because that's who they are, than I ever had Harleys blasting past me on my Honda. Ego is ego, Harley or otherwise.

·
Old Goat
25,806 Posts
Ive not ridden anything in the last 40 years but VTX....windshield or fairing...was like a brick moving thru the air.....so I slowed down and now have a more harmonious riding experience......Oh and no brag ,just fact I can pretty much afford anything with in reason....but for my type of riding or what I did before ill health..X ticks all the boxes....be safe no matter what u ride..... (y) (y)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The added weight will help make the bike more stable in the wind, but I’m thinking the way your windshield and other parts of the bike are set up is more important. I’ve driving my X and my old lighter Shadow in stronger winds.

My X has a Batwing which cuts through the wind far better than the Shadow did with a National Cycle Shorty windshield.

If you are talking about a Harley Ultra Classic,
Thanks for the advice . I'll give it some thought

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Occasionally I used to enjoy blasting past a Harley knowing they could never keep up. That was my VTX ego showing off😈

Believe me, from experience, far more non-American bikes blow past me, either to prove something, or just because that's who they are, than I ever had Harleys blasting past me on my Honda. Ego is ego, Harley or otherwise.
I think you're right. Thanks for the perspective

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive not ridden anything in the last 40 years but VTX....windshield or fairing...was like a brick moving thru the air.....so I slowed down and now have a more harmonious riding experience......Oh and no brag ,just fact I can pretty much afford anything with in reason....but for my type of riding or what I did before ill health..X ticks all the boxes....be safe no matter what u ride..... (y) (y)
Thanks . Nice bikes in the picture

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
WOW! 16 mph wind. That is like a gentle breeze in SW Oklahoma and west Texas. I have ridden in south Florida, north Florida, east Florida, west Florida, including the Keys 3 or 4 times. I have ridden in all parts of NY. I have not experienced a wind problem. As a mater of fact, I find Florida boring, except during a storm.

I run 5 to 10 real MPH (not Honda MPH) over the interstate speed. I have ridden my VTX 1300R with windshield, lowers, and chaps on the highway bars. I have never been "bounced around by the wind" except when passing an 18 wheeler at 80mph, and then it is manageable, just plan for it.

My other ride is a Yamaha Royal Star Venture S, full on touring MC. It has more frontal area so more cross wind interference. Never a problem with wind, I adjust for it.

In the almost 150,000 miles of riding my VTX 1300R in all kinds of weather, 49 states, and all the provinces/territories connected by roads, I have only had 4 Harleys pass me (Interstates or secondary roads) and stay ahead of me for more than a few miles. I don't race them I just hold it steady. Honest long distance riders (Iron Butt Association) who ride Harleys admit they are not as comfortable as Hondas and Yamahas. They are brand loyal though.

I don't want to sound like a prick, but no, it is not the weight, it is the rider's experience. Come to the Great Plains and ride, especially in the spring, then you will appreciate the gentle breeze of south Florida.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I think the perceived instability with your VTX has more to do with aerodynamics of a plain windshield vs a faired windshield not a weight difference. Could also be tires and/or tire pressures.

I found my VTX C model very stable under all riding conditions.
When I switched to a Buell Ulysses, which was between 250 to 300 lbs lighter. I found it just as stable in all wind direction conditions.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
We are different... I have two bikes (VTX). For one of them I have windshield, but I don't use it (removed). Headwind does notbother me. (I have no problem with it, it's part of the experience and I like it.) I guess, side wind can be similar to many of us.

·
Registered
19 Posts
WOW! 16 mph wind. That is like a gentle breeze in SW Oklahoma and west Texas. I have ridden in south Florida, north Florida, east Florida, west Florida, including the Keys 3 or 4 times. I have ridden in all parts of NY. I have not experienced a wind problem. As a mater of fact, I find Florida boring, except during a storm.

I run 5 to 10 real MPH (not Honda MPH) over the interstate speed. I have ridden my VTX 1300R with windshield, lowers, and chaps on the highway bars. I have never been "bounced around by the wind" except when passing an 18 wheeler at 80mph, and then it is manageable, just plan for it.

My other ride is a Yamaha Royal Star Venture S, full on touring MC. It has more frontal area so more cross wind interference. Never a problem with wind, I adjust for it.

In the almost 150,000 miles of riding my VTX 1300R in all kinds of weather, 49 states, and all the provinces/territories connected by roads, I have only had 4 Harleys pass me (Interstates or secondary roads) and stay ahead of me for more than a few miles. I don't race them I just hold it steady. Honest long distance riders (Iron Butt Association) who ride Harleys admit they are not as comfortable as Hondas and Yamahas. They are brand loyal though.

I don't want to sound like a prick, but no, it is not the weight, it is the rider's experience. Come to the Great Plains and ride, especially in the spring, then you will appreciate the gentle breeze of south Florida.
No kidding. I am from out in west Texas where we had the fastest dogs in the world cause it was so far between trees & we had some wind I tell ya. I always ran into strong wind in the northern panhandle of Texas & in Ok when I would ride up through there. I have seen days when I thought I was going to wear out the outside of a tire from leaning into the side winds, lol. Plus getting sand blasted while riding. Like you 16 mph is pretty well an everyday breeze out there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts