Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my VTX1800C, I purchased some hard krome pipes and a power commander III.

The shop put the power commander on without a map, the bike ran a bit on the lean side with a lot of popping going on. I got a map that most closely matched my modifications, and the performance greatly increased.

I never had driven the bike without the Power Commander. I was satisfied with the power but noticed I did burn gas. I got about 32 MPG.

Recently I was having problems with the X and thought I had a fuel pump that was going on me. It was intermitent especially when first running for a few miles. After taking it to a very reliable Honda Powersports shop ( Canton GA ).

They indicated it was my Power Commander on the blink. So they took it off and said my bike was running very good. I was a bit doubtful, but took it home and tried to discern the difference between the Honda fuel computer and the Power Commander III.

I noticed different power band in the throttle but with no depreciable drop off in performance. In fact after riding it for a few days and taking a 8 hour trip, I became convinced that the Honda engineers did a better job than the after market fuel computer.

I then noticed i was getting a lot more milage out of a tank of gas and checked it three times with variable riding conditions and speeds and it was a dead on 44 MPG.

My opinion HONDA WON!

Keep it up on Two,
JP

·
Super Moderator
64,345 Posts
The PowerCommander does NOT override the stock ECU, it works with it. If the PowerCommander was installed it with NO map, than it was never doing anything to begin with. The only thing the PowerCommander was doing with no map, was using electrical power.

So you basically gave the shop what, $350, to install a few lights under your side cover. It was like it was never on

·
Registered
16,088 Posts
Chicago-Spike said:
The PowerCommander does NOT override the stock ECU, it works with it. If the PowerCommander was installed it with NO map, than it was never doing anything to begin with. The only thing the PowerCommander was doing with no map, was using electrical power.

So you basically gave the shop what, $350, to install a few lights under your side cover. It was like it was never on
+1

Also, the problem most people have is shops install the PCIII with the supplied vampire clip (scotch lock) Usually what happens is what you described as a perceived failure.

BTW, have you removed the pair valve setup yet??? It will make the bike sound better and reduce decel popping :wink:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PC III

The Power Commander was installed with no map and it was not functional. I did put my own map in it and it ran a lot better.

My point was after taking the PC III off, the performance is not any less with the straight ECU.

Should have read the damn post if your going to make a smart ass comment about having fancy lights under my side cover FU.

Jon,
BTW
I did the Desmog and Pair removal.
Is the PC III really fried or was it in the way it was hooked up?

·
Super Moderator
64,345 Posts
Sorry I missed that part, my bad. Yes, PC3 have gone bad, like any electronic components they sometimes just quit working. Talk to Dynojet and they may fix or replace the unit for you. They've done it before. If the unit was also installed with the supplied vampire wire tap, that may have cut through the TPS wire it was attached to as well. If you do decide to go with any other fuel manager, solder that unit to the ECU wire. I would also look/inspect that wire the PC3 was attached to so you can be sure that wire isn't damaged/cut/coroded

·
Registered
339 Posts
you don't read to well. he did not say fancy lights, he said (A FEW LIGHTS) MENTAL MIDGET. DON'T TALK TO SPIKE LIKE THAT, HE'S EVERYBODY'S FRIEND AROUND HERE. SEE WHAT A NICE GUY HE IS, HE DID NOT EVEN REPLY BACK WITH ANY ATTITUDE. FU TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Spike is a highly respected member of this board. While his post could be takin the wrong way he didnt mean it as an insult. Im sure.

As far as Honda winning in the ECU department. They did a good job at making the upper rpms too rich so just adding pipes wouldnt cause a too lean condition. Even adding a air kit normally wont cause rpms over 2400 to be too lean. However the lower rpms become lean enough that surging and decel popping can be much worse.

A PCIII at least can be fine tuned to your riding needs, max hp or better mpg ect. You just need to find a good tuner and be willing to pay the price.

You most likely had a bad unit or connection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
JP, just a quick question, I have a 2004 VTX1800N with Hard Krome 3" Big Straights and also with the Power Commander III. Are you saying I can remove the Power Commander and revert back to the Stock Honda Fuel Computer? And what about the O2 sensor if I have one since this bike I just bought on Craigslist in Canada. Maybe they don't require California emission standards, but I don't live in California anyway. Your feed back and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks; Todd

·
Registered
502 Posts
I don't use a Power Commander

Todd, I have a 2005 with Vance & Hines and a K&N in the stock airbox and no Power Commander. I think it runs good and my touring mileage is in the 40's.
Others will join in and give you an idea of what to expect from your 2004.
I'm under the impression that the models with the external fuel pump have an updated ECM. The factory tune seems to be better.
The thread you're in seems to have stopped in 2007. After the way that JPVTX1800 talked to Spike I'd never ask JP for advice.

·
Super Moderator
64,345 Posts
JP, just a quick question, I have a 2004 VTX1800N with Hard Krome 3" Big Straights and also with the Power Commander III. Are you saying I can remove the Power Commander and revert back to the Stock Honda Fuel Computer? And what about the O2 sensor if I have one since this bike I just bought on Craigslist in Canada. Maybe they don't require California emission standards, but I don't live in California anyway. Your feed back and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks; Todd
Easy way to check if you have o2 sensors, look for wires running to your exhaust pipes. Yes, you can remove the PC3 from your bike. Your stock ECU has always been running the show, the PC3 just adds or subtracts fuel from the ECU mapping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.