Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... let me have it. Forget the outrageous cost difference and stick to technical reasons why the VTX would be a better ride than the V-ROD... anyone?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Honestly the V-Rod is a pretty bad bike. But then again so it the VTX. I like the seating position on my 1800 and I have never ridden a V-Rod so, I guess you just need to ride them both and tell us what you think.

N8

·
Registered
409 Posts
VTX is much cheaper, but is great in quality. I've never rode a V-ROD. I sat on one at the dealer and didn't like it. Buy what you like. I've heard the regular maint. cost on a V-ROD is very high.

·
Registered
468 Posts
WorkOnTheWeb said:
Ok... let me have it. Forget the outrageous cost difference and stick to technical reasons why the VTX would be a better ride than the V-ROD... anyone?
Dman! I feel like I'm stalking you, dude.

I used to have a V-Rod and while there were a few cool things about it, it is the least favorite bike I've owned.

If you are serious they were selling '05 A's for $14800 in Faribault, MN about two weeks ago. I thought about it for 10 seconds and it was like having flashbacks to Nam.

Here we go:

The stock seat is garbage. They make a Sundowner that is the most comfortable MC seat I've ever used, but it ruins the sleek look.

The solid disk wheels are scary on the highway. In crosswinds you'll get pushed around in your and your neighbors lane. When a truck passes the headshake can make the bravest drop a brick. They now have a spoke wheel option that the Faribault dealer would have thrown on for $600. They are pretty ugly, but they work.

3.7 gallons gets you to the next gas station. Then the next. Then the next. If you want to be the weak link in your riding group, that's the gas tank to make it happen.

Sloppy workmanship. I don't recall the specific capacity, but mine took over 1.5 quarts more than spec'd for oil. I still have the letter from the Motor Company stating that ~30% error is within tolerance.

What else... check out v-rodforums.com. Good folks that can be a bit biased toward their particular ride (like we aren't!), but you'll see similar comments and complaints about depreciation if you look around. You'll notice that eBay is the standard by which they determine used value.

Talk to the dealers. Even they complain about their experiences with the V-Rod.

The Street Rod could have been an improvement, but it's slower, uglier, and heavier.

I'm not anti-H-D. Some day I'll probably own some variation of a Road King, but I would wait to see what happens in late July when I think they will finally introduce a VRSC touring version. The dealers I've spoken to were let down that they got the Street Rod instead.

Is the X the best bike out there? Nah. I think my FJR is.

Is the X better than the V-Rod? Having owned both, yes.

There are H-D's worth looking at. I think the RK and Dynaglide Sport are a couple of excellent values. Again, being in MN dealers are dealing. If you open up the playing field, you might as well check out the new Victory 8-ball and Hammer. The 8 looks like a heck of a buy.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I've road them both. They both are completely different rides. The X is tons of torque and with that lots of pull. Actually feels faster than it probably is going - but it is going fast.

Vrod - more raked, more RPM less Torque - more HP. does not give the traditional "Cruiser" feel like older HD's or the X. They (HD) are doing some interesting things with the Rod. I think the Streed Rod is just the first of many new incarnations.

both bikes are fast i just like the old thump thump of the X better and I did not like the ergonomics of the exposed frame rails on my right knee. Pretty uncomfortable.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Web Worker,

I looked at both bikes before I bought my Retro. To me it came down to what was I getting for my money & why was I purchasing this luxury item. No, I didn't buy the bike for transportation; a car is a better choice. I wanted to have fun.

I couldn't see the $4,000.00 plus difference in these two choices here. Yes, more accessories are available for the VTX. Whatever one gets, he's going to ad the bling to spice up.

This is a VTX forem so folks here are gonna tell you the X is the best. Truth is they are both fine bikes. Performance wise, with the same rider, both on stock bikes, the V-Rod would win in by a very slight margin. Several times I have witnessed The VTX out gun the Rod.

I don't give a rat's a$$ about what the magazines say, it simply comes down to "Why are you buying this high dollar luxury item, anyway?" If you want a ticket to the "HD train" go buy a Springer, Fat Boy, or some other model. Most HD branded folks don't care for the V-Rod either.

The VTX1800 is the top of the food chain in the metric cruiser market just like the GoldWing is the top of the food chain in touring bikes. Both are American made in Marysville, Ohio.

BTY, I decided to buy a green 03 1800C. When I got to adding up the accessories, I realized that I wasn't going to get the floorboards & a few other things like I wanted so I told the salesman to get the silver Retro ready instead. I've never once doubted that I had made the right choice for me.

Now, go buy a bike!!!

"Rich people manage their money well. Poor people mismanage their money well." ....... T. Harv Eker

·
Registered
371 Posts
Buy the v-tod, get the harley thing out off your system, then find a nice bike to ride. Then you can tell everyone you used to have a harley.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All very good readin posts folks... very much appreciate it and thnkfully more or less confirmed my impression. I too "sat" on a V-ROD in the show room and found it felt "strange". But last four years I have been riding a 2001 Honda Shadow Spirit.. which I found comfy, if not too much of a vibration problem on my forearms...urband legend has it that Honda made the bike vibrate to be more attractive to Harley wanna be folks).

The only Harley's I have driven were quite under whelming... but the V-ROD at least promised something better. As one poster suggested, I alread did join a V_ROD forum and true enough, I sure found more talks about bad experiences with dealers, radiators and other... interestingly any one who had a comment about the extended warranty basically said "get it"...

About the wheels... I do like the look of those solid wheels. I am thankful for the poster who reminded me that they can lead to some creative moments in wind gusts. Not something I would like to have to deal with on the windy mountain roads in these here parts.

No one commented on vibration comparison... same? is one smoother than the other? (in an unrelated vtx post someone commented on bits rattling on their vtx at low speed)

And the when I asked the Honda dealer here why the VTX was better than a rod (bracing myself for an onslaught of "objective" opinions) he also sited the maintenance cost. But he was careful (as many of you were) to not dump on the V-Rod. Cool bike. Has the oooooo factor all over it.

Friend of mine bought a harley fat boy the same time I got my Spirit. The Spirit was 3 fold cheaper and to my way of thinking, far better engineered. Nary a peep out of it for four years. So... I am leaning towards the vtx with money left over to pay rent for a little while longer (rather than giving up the $$$$ to join the Harley mystic... not really an attraction to me... the coolness of the bike was tho). I am basically reminding myself why I bought a Honda four years ago... good bike, solid reputation, not nearly as punishing on the pocket and most important... plenty of oooooo just looking at it and lots more riding it....

thanks folks

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
V-Rod. Cool bike. Has the oooooo factor all over it.
That wore off real fast after several trips to the dealer for non-warranty repairs.....seems they were always just outside of the warranty but deep inside my wallet. Not dumping on them....I had a Fatboy then a Vrod. I just wanted something I could ride this time instead of having to keep it on life support at a cost! It was fun when I could ride it but too much of a hassle and I was never comfortable in that riding position. I agree with Outlander and that pretty much sums up my experience with it also.....especially the wind gust on the solid wheels part! Get what feels good to you!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Reliability.

Look at HDs record compaired to Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki etc.

Also, a significant amount of engine and frame development is done/proven on the race track. How many world championships has HD won lately. :)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
the VTX can be turned into a great touring bike, trying to turn the V rod into a touring bike would seem like a waste of time.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I believe the 10K mi Valve adjustment cost is approx $1000 for the V-Rod, cause they gotta pull the motor to do it. That's why I've seen a lot of Vrods for sale that have under 10K miles.

I too was very interested in a V-rod, but I felt it was significantly over-priced, over-hyped, and felt too small. My X fits me just fine. :D

·
Super Moderator
63,856 Posts
WorkOnTheWeb said:
V-Rod, great for 10 minutes. Very quick, fast and light, BUT the riding position SUCKS! Go test ride one, you will see.

VTX, great for 10 hours or more. A little quicker, fast, a tad overweight, BUT VERY, VERY comfortable riding position. 8)

·
Registered
367 Posts
sho-me vtx said:
Buy the v-tod, get the harley thing out off your system, then find a nice bike to ride. Then you can tell everyone you used to have a harley.
Yeah, you need to make that dumb mistake like some of us have.

How much is the V-Rod???? It has to be 16 to 18 grand out the door???

As mediocre as Harleys are, I could almost find owning one (again) acceptable. What is not acceptable are the stealers and the money game that the whole experience is.

I felt like I was being hustled every time I walked into the boutique. The accessory man and clothes chick were on me like "wet on water". If I was not in the store, they would not even return my call. It got to the point where I felt the best thing to do is walk in and throw my Visa on the counter.

I think everybody needs to experience the money hustle in order to appreciate a postive experience.

Don't buy the VTX. Leave it on the floor. I am going to be in the market real soon for a "F" or a "C" model. I will buy it and save you the trouble.

I really hope you don't make the HD mistake. Don't believe the bull..... that they are going to be telling you. Their bikes are backing up in the warehouse and they are experiencing a phenomena they are not used to....they are actually offering incentives, discounts, and for once, they have come down off their "high horse" and are actually being nice.

If I had a quarter for every time harley jacked me around, I would own a fleet of West Coast Choppers. Not really, but I think you get the point....at least I hope (for your sake) that you do.

I know what I am talking about, I have owned four Harleys in my lifetime.

A couple of decades ago, Harley Davidson was the finest company in America. Then they sold their soul to Wall Street.

I apologize for the rant. Don't get me started on HD......

Joe :roll:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've never ridden a V-Rod myself, but everyone that I talk to that has, say that it's not very comfortable. Especially on long rides.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Lots of people complain of the weight of the VTX, but to me, it makes for a stable ride, especially at high speeds and windy conditions. This is my 5th bike and the one that I have enjoyed the most. V-Rods look cool, but cool won't get ya down the road. I have almost 22k miles in less than 2 years without the first issue.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The Rod felt like an old Street trail to me. Light and quick but I wouldn't take it over 100 miles. It is by difinition...not a cruiser. Maybe Sport/ somrthing but I would invest in a NEW F model 1800 if there were both priced equal.

Could Honda build a better X with less plastic??? YES!!

Would we pay another $1000.00 for....Yes!!

They could get together with Hal and the 5 Top Dogs of this board and come up with a model that would make us baby boomers cash our 401K's in for.

I Wish!!! Give me the nice seat ,exhaust and risers and Hi-Way Pegs already mounted from the get go, please. I got four sets of Buick exhausts in the attic already!!!

3k worth of stuff taking up garage space could of been spent during the initial purchase.....for 15-16k and a great X off the shelf!!

Let's throw some OEM into Boston Harbor!!

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Danny45 said:
I've never ridden a V-Rod myself, but everyone that I talk to that has, say that it's not very comfortable. Especially on long rides.
How could you get comfortable on a long ride with a 3.7 gallon tank!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts