Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this over on VTX Cafe as well. Hoping someone somewhere will hear my plea for help!

First off, just want to thank everyone who posts here for the great knowledge base on these bikes. I've been a long time lurker and have found a wealth of fantastic information on this board but I've found myself with a dilemma and need some extra help! I have an 03 VTX1800 and have some progressive springs to swap into it. Obviously to complete the job, I need the special socket to take the castle nut the left fork. I've spent a couple weeks trying to track one down but since they're a discontinued I can't find one anywhere even second hand! Wondering if anyone out there would be willing to loan one out (I'd certainly pay a "rental fee" and shipping cost) so that I can get these swapped out. If anybody has one or knows someone with one that'd be willing to do this I'd be eternally grateful!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well damn, can't believe they are finally available... I ended up fabbing the tool out of 1-3/4" black iron pipe and a 1/2" drive chrome socket. Partzilla (and everywhere else I looked) was showing it back ordered for months with a price of $199 which I wouldn't have paid even if it was in stock. Out of lack of options, I just went based on the specs from Bare's site. Got em' changed out last weekend with ease.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just ordered one from partzilla and then received a notification explaining the tool is on backorder and no ETA.

I may end up asking to borrow one for myself.
If ya need to borrow one, I'm happy to lend out the one I made. It's not as pretty as the OEM Honda tool but it worked like a dream for the progressive swap. As long as I get it back after, I'm happy to help out anybody that needs it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If ya need to borrow one, I'm happy to lend out the one I made. It's not as pretty as the OEM Honda tool but it worked like a dream for the progressive swap. As long as I get it back after, I'm happy to help out anybody that needs it.
I appreciate the offer. It's puzzling. I have watched two different YouTube vids of guys changing vtx fork springs to progressive springs without taking the forks out of the trees. Well they only removed the fork caps and reach in and pull the springs out. No special tools required. However, bareasschoper claim I need the special tool to get to the springs. Scratching my head. Are not all vtx fork spring procedures the same?

I have a 2002 vtx 1800r.

Maybe there is a video I'm unaware of that shows how to do the springs using the spanner? Does anyone know a vid exist?

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
Stuff from Bare:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stuff from Bare:

Just so you have a visual, this is the tool and what you're removing. This suts on top of the fork spring. Please ignore the weld on the tool, there were several beers involved during its creation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the pic. I'm slowing down on the idea of switching out springs until I do some more research on the front end suspension. I've been reading more threads about the vtx forks being different lengths. (Mine are different lengths). Clutch side fork leg is longer. This length difference made it difficult to reinsert the axle after a tire change.
To remedy this problem I loosened the clutch side fork upper and lower tree pinch bolts. I slid the clutch side fork up until the axle reinserted smoothly (as opposed to using a rubber mallot). Retightened the pinch bolts.

Long story short I'm not comfortable with the fork being at different lengths above the triple trees. 1/4" difference in height.

I haven't ridden it since I made the change. The bike is still on the jack.

I thought I read that the two forks do different things (rebound and ??) to make the front end "one complete suspension".
Puzzling

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
8,393 Posts
Thanks for the pic. I'm slowing down on the idea of switching out springs until I do some more research on the front end suspension. I've been reading more threads about the vtx forks being different lengths. (Mine are different lengths). Clutch side fork leg is longer. This length difference made it difficult to reinsert the axle after a tire change.
To remedy this problem I loosened the clutch side fork upper and lower tree pinch bolts. I slid the clutch side fork up until the axle reinserted smoothly (as opposed to using a rubber mallot). Retightened the pinch bolts.

Long story short I'm not comfortable with the fork being at different lengths above the triple trees. 1/4" difference in height.

I haven't ridden it since I made the change. The bike is still on the jack.

I thought I read that the two forks do different things (rebound and ??) to make the front end "one complete suspension".
Puzzling

Any thoughts?
I don't remember this being an issue when I had the front wheel off. Not sure how I dealt with it, if at all.
Just a thought, but try this. Take the axle out again, and lower the longer fork to the correct height in the triple trees. Then loosen the shorter fork and drop it to allow the axle to slide in. Tighten up the wheel end and use the bike's weight to set the correct height on the shorter fork. When it matches the longer fork, tighten the triple trees and you're golden. As I recall the forked on my 1800C were the same height in the triple trees.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To adjust the fork length, you need to adjust the lock nuts below the fork caps. Mine were not aligned when I did my spring change but a few minutes of playing with the lock nuts got it evened out. The write-up on the front suspension on Bare's website has the full details.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I appreciate the offer. It's puzzling. I have watched two different YouTube vids of guys changing vtx fork springs to progressive springs without taking the forks out of the trees. Well they only removed the fork caps and reach in and pull the springs out. No special tools required. However, bareasschoper claim I need the special tool to get to the springs. Scratching my head. Are not all vtx fork spring procedures the same?

I have a 2002 vtx 1800r.

Maybe there is a video I'm unaware of that shows how to do the springs using the spanner? Does anyone know a vid exist?
You can replace the fork seals without using the special tool but you will always need it when replacing the springs:

(41) VTX 1800 Fork Seals Part 1.wmv - YouTube

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Watercop3.

Right now I'm waiting for the springs from partzilla. I think I might have access to a tool already (here Local) GR Michigan.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
DO NOT change the position of the fork legs in the triple trees! Perhaps I miss read something. If so, ignore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve got one you can borrow. No charge...
Hey do you mind if I borrow your tool? I’ll happily pay for shipping both ways! And a little extra to make it worth your time! I’m located in chicago. I would be so thankful!

They just updated my order that it’s on back order 🙁

1 - 17 of 17 Posts