Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,858 Posts
but I am a Beef and potato kind of guy.... EXTRA RARE BEEF.... Please.

so rare that the last echo of its 'moo" can still be heard...
or a good Vet can put it back on its feet in 10 minutes :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
You can disagree all you like, but the facts are facts. Every magazine zinged Honda on how poorly the VTX handled. Every rider that has owned other big cruisers after the VTX have said how much better their new bikes handle over the VTX. Sorry, but the VTX was only an OK handling big cruiser. Yes, a rider with skills can make even a poor handling machine corner well. That's not the bike, that's the rider
Also I'm sure newer bikes, with newer technology are much better at getting the center of gravity where it needs to be.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
It was great (for me) to read through this thread. It's amazing, that even though I've been riding for 45 years, how much stuff just "slips through the cracks" or that you either take for granted or forget. The video was great, and I think it's time to take a refresher course.
Thanks for all the info!!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Greetings.......It has been a while since I have posted anything on the forum. Looking for some advice here. I have an 2005 1800 N that I love but I find that manipulating it through corners and twisty roads is a lot of work and tiring. We were out at Sturgis a year ago and riding those mountain roads was just hard work. Several of the guys we were riding with had Harley Heritages, Victories and VStars. They seemed to sail through the curves while I found myself struggling all day. I would guess that they all have a lower center of gravity than the VTX. I am wondering if it would make a difference in how my bikes handles curves if I changed shocks and or front springs? I have been looing at the new Indians but was just thinking I may save thousands by doing some upgrades to my 1800 if they would help? Thoughts..............and thanks in advance!

Three passes pushing double the speed limit on the dragon wears me out on the VTX, and I'm very experienced on all sorts of bikes. If you have your skills honed you can get them into a corner very much faster than comfortable without it touching the ground. It's shifting your body to the inside of the curve, chin over handle grip, looking through, and keeping the bike upright..

Still. tey dont call it a muscle cruiser for nothing!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Three passes pushing double the speed limit on the dragon wears me out on the VTX, and I'm very experienced on all sorts of bikes. If you have your skills honed you can get them into a corner very much faster than comfortable without it touching the ground. It's shifting your body to the inside of the curve, chin over handle grip, looking through, and keeping the bike upright..

Still. tey dont call it a muscle cruiser for nothing!
Dang, I really like this quote. I want to know where this "Dragon route is"?.. I doubt I will put my chin over the handle grip, but rest assure, I will see you at the next light.

Cheer'z

·
Registered
293 Posts
Dang, I really like this quote. I want to know where this "Dragon route is"?.. I doubt I will put my chin over the handle grip, but rest assure, I will see you at the next light.

Cheer'z
Here ya go, Froggy.. I want to go there someday myself. I would need at least a month.. A lot of things to see along the way.. 318 curves in 11 miles...

https://www.google.com/search?q=tail+of+the+dragon&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS503US503&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=5_5k2PKJMsFCbM%253A%252Coy5OS3jUZjfyhM%252C_&usg=__DY-OW3ylCDZLX4SbvUj2TDfDnxI%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiC__G7nbbYAhUaHGMKHYG3CZwQ9QEIUDAG#imgrc=_

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here ya go, Froggy.. I want to go there someday myself. I would need at least a month.. A lot of things to see along the way.. 318 curves in 11 miles...
Holy sh*t bat man.' as they say ', I really thought the Devil's trail in Oregon was a good one.
This Devil's tail ride could be on the bucket list for sure, let me know if you wana go 2019... I could arrange that.

Cheer'z bro.
Froggy

·
Registered
293 Posts
Holy sh*t bat man.' as they say ', I really thought the Devil's trail in Oregon was a good one.
This Devil's tail ride could be on the bucket list for sure, let me know if you wana go 2019... I could arrange that.

Cheer'z bro.
Froggy
I have no rides planned for 2019.. I'm interested... :thumbup:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have no rides planned for 2019.. I'm interested... :thumbup:
Oh my God.. " that's 'Dog' spelt backwards in my world " and I should say Tail of the Dragon instead of repeating Devils tail. hehe.. but I was excited....

I watched a few vids (mostly rocket racers and truck blood having a few issues, but all is good.. hehe) I studied the area a bit, map wise,

The Tail trip has lots to visit, see and explore over and above. This could be a 3 + week trip for me.

I just luv travelling State side and won't fly anywhere my bike can't fly.

This 2018, my main trip is to South Dakota "Sturgis" for a 3 week trip then the Rock Creek Boogie Bash festival right after here in B.C., you are close you should come up and join me and good friends.

Anyway this is turning into a letter not a reply.. hehe
Cheer'z Bro.. Be Safe.
Frog

·
Registered
278 Posts
Norsky If your rear shocks are on 1 or 2 the bike will really feel like a pig in corners. If you sit on the bike and the rear drops more than 1/2 inch increase the rear shock tension until you get to the 1/2 inch Im 245lbs and ride by myself and I like the rear shocks at three. if you are at 1 or 2 you will be amazed at the difference that 3 will make. I was working the bike and had to release the shock tension to get to a bolt forgot when I was done and road the bike that way for 6 months. I was like this thing is a pig and was looking at tires. I was just messing around in the garage one day and noticed the shock adjustment moved it to 3 and Im telling you whole new bike. Also higher tire pressure as others have stated. Anyway good luck

·
Registered
181 Posts
Norsky,

This is an old thread so you may not even see this but...........................

If you want your VTX1800N to turn the easiest/best that it can then put a set of 'F' model wheels on the bike. The wheel size allows for sportbike type radial tires to be ran.

If you want the next-best then go with a 'C' model front wheel to go with your N model rear wheel. The narrower front of a C model (130 vs the 150 on an N model) still turns in easier than the balloon on an N.

I have ridden VTX1800s with all 4 wheel/tire combos on them (R, S, C, F) and the F model turns easier and holds a line better than the others.

John

·
Registered
94 Posts
Be sure to take Tennessee 421 North from Mountain City back to Bristol.
.... and there are many more great roads out there....
Noted my brother and thanx.. :smile2: ..I will probably post a thread in time asking for some good routes along the States I would travel.

Cheer'z, Be Safe

·
Registered
94 Posts
Norsky,

This is an old thread so you may not even see this but...........................

If you want your VTX1800N to turn the easiest/best that it can then put a set of 'F' model wheels on the bike. The wheel size allows for sportbike type radial tires to be ran.

If you want the next-best then go with a 'C' model front wheel to go with your N model rear wheel. The narrower front of a C model (130 vs the 150 on an N model) still turns in easier than the balloon on an N.

I have ridden VTX1800s with all 4 wheel/tire combos on them (R, S, C, F) and the F model turns easier and holds a line better than the others.

John

I did like what you said although I have not tried different OEM types on my bike nor know the difference in them.. I have a 1800R but have custom wheels, tires and suspension for looks as well as performance.

I do believe what nate6966 said in the begin. "possible counter steering problem" I have experienced riders in group rides that do as such. It is dangerous to say the least and try to say something with respect in conversation. Most will hint to a handling problem to start that ball rolling.

Cheer'z

21 - 35 of 35 Posts