Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Yes, carb cleaner is no good. To strong a solvent. Atomized gasoline however, works very well. Safety first. As far as the WAX valve goes, as said above it is part of the idle air circuit. SM outlines op. and testing.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ciao everybody, my bike starts now but I will get plugs and FPR. When she starts I need to hold throttle hand until it becomes warms. I think maybe my two weak SP are not good at job. Also I read wax valve has a job for this. Grazie to everybody for the help. One thing more is which is button on the site to send PM?
Ciao from Joe.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Ciao everybody, my bike starts now but I will get plugs and FPR. When she starts I need to hold throttle hand until it becomes warms. I think maybe my two weak SP are not good at job. Also I read wax valve has a job for this. Grazie to everybody for the help. One thing more is which is button on the site to send PM?
Ciao from Joe.
In the upper right of the page, you will see 3 vertical dots. Just to the left of that is a box w/ rounded corners. Click that, and click 'conversations'. You will have to type in a member's name, and a subject for discussion. Then submit. It will go right to them.

·
Super Moderator
64,049 Posts
No, there's more wrong than just the plugs. A fuel injected bike should NEVER have to hold the throttle to stay running. Keep digging, there's more wrong

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ciao everybody, yes, I think Chigago-Spike is right. I made a ride today. Bike starts but then starts to make backfire. I got only 100mmetres. Ok I think I need help. What is first thing for me to do?
Grazie from Joe

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Did this 1800 have a long duration sitting without running??
Test fuel flow.
Test volume and pressure.

Reactions: Vince159

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ciao everybody.
Chicago_Spike says Keep digging Joe so I keep digging. I wait for SP and FPR to arrive.
HansandFeet says Did this 1800 have a long duration sitting without running?? I have bike since one year. I use bike and she runs very well before now. Before that is mystery if bike was sitting. Ok I see my bike has fuel pump in tank. I can see it. Is there method to take take out and make a test? I see fotos of fuel pump in big mess. Ok I must look for bad parts in there.
Then Test fuel flow and Test volume and pressure. I see the pdf designs and maybe everything is small to see, and also I am not expert.
Ok. I think. Bike did not start. I make search, take off tank, empty old fuel. Tank inside looks well. I see connections, make earth fix, and see the plugs make sparks (two big spark, two little spark). Bike starts. I have to hold on throttle handle until she is warm. This is something new, never before. Bike running very smooth. I see orange light of low fuel. I put in rest of new fuel from plastic fuel can. I put on helmet and into the piazza of my town then big backfire after 100 meters. I stop bike with engine running, no throttle, still big backfire. End of ride.
Now I take deep breath and think it is time to look at fuel pump under tank and test fuel flow and test volume and pressure. Of course I will try but I say I have fear of making mistake. Is there maybe video I can see?
Grazie from Joe

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
The smog emissions have a small port in the exhaust to inject air to burn residual A/F.
This residual A/F is an explosion in the muffler. A stock muffler attenuates the explosions.
The valve has to be closed to prevent this air from getting into the exhaust.
A reed valve cover on the top of the cylinder head, it should be plugged on each head.
If a exhaust pipe is loose at the cylinder head, air can be sucked in and create explosions.
This is usually de-cel when the exhaust explosions occur.

I see you untwisted the Black connector from the ECM. Several wires looked tight
before you took the twist out. Examine those wires that were tight before you
made the change. The wires break easily and can make an intermittent connection.
The 1300 has experienced many breaks at two wires on the ICM. The break takes place
right at the rubber seal of the connector.. Sometimes the insulation shrinks at the break.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ciao HansandFeet, the bike she has the smog fix done. The nuts of exhaust are tight. Hey! you are right that I did move the PCB from its place lying in vertical position in box in front of battery. I feel pressure on wires to bring out PCB to make foto. So this seems like a weak point for these thin wires. Today I make test for breaks. Is there a good method to make tests? These connections also are dirty but I have fear to pull wires from PCB.
Ciao from Joe

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Joe there have been a few very strange incidents that are rare.
A few, possibly 3 VTX had the wires shorting on a cable clip where the Injector wires break out from the harness.
One I believe was popping fuses intermittently, the other two were grounding and triggering the injector(s).
Kickstand UP Ground signal has to be good to the ECM.
If you have not replaced the 30amp FI fuse, do it. There have been one or two fuse that broke.
When you crank and start, check for heat from both cylinders.
Have you downloaded the Service Manual.
Section 5 the "FI" has trouble shooting guide.
A thin probe to access connections. A needle possibly to probe a wire if nothing else will work.
You want to verify each wire individually. The Black and Gray connectors can be pulled off.

I do not see if you checked the "Melted Main Wire". Do it.... Post #9

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ciao HansandFeet, yesterday I made a check for broken wires at PCB. All look good just by looking. There is some grease over connections that collect dust.

I made a test for connection for maybe melted wire and all ok. Connection good and now clean.

Today I will take off tank and make a test for wires shorting on cable clip.

I to buy 30 amp fuses and put on bike. Please remind me of 30 amp fuse location. I see only 10 and 20 in fuse box.

I will start bike and check for heat from both cylinder pots.
I have an idea to try. I think I put two weak SP together in on pot. Maybe they are making backfire? I will swap.

My order is in USPS of FPR.
My order is in Italian post of SP

Yes, I download already service manual. I go to look at section 5 FI trouble shooting guide.

Ok, I make test on individual wires with my electric meter.

To test if each wire work I put probe positive at PCB connection and I must find the next connection in harness or use needle in wire?

I am idiot today, I move bike and let her lie down. NO damages. I see bike she has a sensor for this incident. I must look in manual for this.

Ciao from Joe

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
The Bank Angle Sensor kills/shuts off the FI system when vtx is laying on the Ground.
When the VTX is restored to correct position turning Ignition switch Off and back On
restores the Bank Angle sensor and the FI system is functional.

30 amp fuses are within 8 inches of the "Melted Main Wiring" 2 Pin connector.
There is a Step by Step board on this forum, 1800 section and a 1300 section.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Ciao HansandFeet
I am busy yesterday with working. I have time to look at bike today, I go turn ignition on and off to make reset to bank sensor. I am happy it is simple like this. Bike lay on soft grass so no damages. Then I find 30amp fuse and change. I look at this moment at the design and yes I see location. Then I follow the list.
To take off tank and make a test for wires shorting on cable clip.
To start bike and check for heat from both cylinder pots.
To read service manual at section 5 FI trouble shooting guide.
To make test on individual wires at PCB with my electric meter.
I am very content that you send help.
Grazie mille from Joe

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Today I find 30 amp fuses and change two from three spaces. Number three space is empty. Number one space fuse is rust. Electric meter show current intermittente. I clean and full current. I change anyway. Maybe then number three space is for supplementary fuse.

I make search in wires of PCB for maybe a break and see two wires with a little of tape to cover end. I make fotos here. Look for green connector and follow wires to see they are cut.

I will look at wire plan.

Ciao from Joe

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Is it 3 pin or 4 pin?? What are the wire colors??
It could be the O2 sensor if it has 4 wires
It could be the Bank Angle Sensor if it is 3 wire with
Green, White/Black, and Red/Orange. If W/BL and R/O
tied together then Bank Angle sensor was removed.
The location where the EMC was hiding.

Joe did you remove and clean this Ground point also??? See picture.

I see some taping of wire nearby. Examine..

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Ciao HansandFeet

I put fotos here. Yes, the cut wires are three with same colours for bank sensor. I see that red wire has tape around. Maybe something going on here before she is mine. Not I have time today for work on bike, but tomorrow yes, I have.
I make before this ground fix at this place too. Everything cleaned to metal and some grease put.
Ciao from Joe

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Red is the +12v feed from the 30 amp Main Fuse left side cover to the Ignition Switch.
Ignition Switch > Red/Black goes to the fuse box on the Right side cover.
Blue/Orange goes to the 20 amp Fan fuse.

I did not notice the clean bare metal bracket for the ground wire.
I saw a dirty bolt head.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts