Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I've ridden Kawa's Vulcan 2000 cruiser and I was so impressed... I have 3 bikes at the moment, 1997 Shadow 750 ACE, 2004 Suzuki SV 1000 S and 1987 BMW R80 (disassembled at the moment for a frame paintjob), and I'm close to replace them all (well, maybe not the 750 ACE, I'm emotionally attached to that one :D ) with one big cruiser.

Honda is my big favourite, since I had almost 100.000 warry-free miles so far on that ACE's odometer.

I like classic style, so I'm looking for VTX 1800 S, R or T here in Europe. I don't personally know anybody who owns one of those, so I must ask this community a few questions.

Are there some known issues, frequent, common malfunctions related to that bikes? You know, like V-star 1100 starter clutch, or Kawa Vulcan 900 generator stator?

What are the highest known mileages that VTX 1800 have been ridden without serious engine overhaul or replacement?

Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
it's a Honda.
nuff said.

mine sat for almost 15 years in storage, had to replace the fuel pump as it seized, not unexpected being stored for so long, but other than that it fired right up.

there is a "fix" for a ground issue, though personally never had an issue and never did the fix.

Motorcycle Tech Pages (bareasschoppers.com)

beyond that there isn't anything that really comes to mind as "issues", but keep in mind the model is 20 years old and been out of production for 12 years, so there could be age related issues, and parts are becoming harder to find, both OEM and aftermarket.

I think there is a member here or on VTXCAFE with over 150K and still running strong. IMO if you take care of the bike it will run forever. all a matter of proper care and maintenance, its a Honda.

Reactions: blues_mack

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
it's a Honda.
nuff said.

mine sat for almost 15 years in storage, had to replace the fuel pump as it seized, not unexpected being stored for so long, but other than that it fired right up.

there is a "fix" for a ground issue, though personally never had an issue and never did the fix.

Motorcycle Tech Pages (bareasschoppers.com)

beyond that there isn't anything that really comes to mind as "issues", but keep in mind the model is 20 years old and been out of production for 12 years, so there could be age related issues, and parts are becoming harder to find, both OEM and aftermarket.

I think there is a member here or on VTXCAFE with over 150K and still running strong. IMO if you take care of the bike it will run forever. all a matter of proper care and maintenance, its a Honda.
There are a handful of members, some of who don't post, with that high mileage and more. I have a friend with a '02 C, Sumo big kit, 183,000 from many trips all over the country. Still going strong. The early 02-03, and a few '04 the FPR or fuel pressure regulators, are increasingly going bad, not from misuse, abuse, or high miles, but due to age. The little diaphragm in them develops cracks and allows fuel into the crankcase besides making mileage and performance suffer. About $40-45 and an hr.'s time to change. Some have also had final drive rear flange bearing issues. A member here re-man's them for better life and performance.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) is not a major fix or expensive but is a problem on 2002 thru 2004 and some early 2005 models. If it has not been replaced it should be as they have had a high failure rate. When they fail it allows motor oil into the fuel system and can cause the cylinder walls to get washed of lubrication and then engine failure . These are very dependable motorcycles but are now older and they do require maintenance, fluid changes etc.

More info on the FPR here:
VTX1800 fuel pressure regulator | Bareass Choppers Motorcycle Tech Pages

Welcome to VTXOA where you will get answers. 🍻 :cool:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Last year I've ridden Kawa's Vulcan 2000 cruiser and I was so impressed... I have 3 bikes at the moment, 1997 Shadow 750 ACE, 2004 Suzuki SV 1000 S and 1987 BMW R80 (disassembled at the moment for a frame paintjob), and I'm close to replace them all (well, maybe not the 750 ACE, I'm emotionally attached to that one :D ) with one big cruiser.

Honda is my big favourite, since I had almost 100.000 warry-free miles so far on that ACE's odometer.

I like classic style, so I'm looking for VTX 1800 S, R or T here in Europe. I don't personally know anybody who owns one of those, so I must ask this community a few questions.

Are there some known issues, frequent, common malfunctions related to that bikes? You know, like V-star 1100 starter clutch, or Kawa Vulcan 900 generator stator?

What are the highest known mileages that VTX 1800 have been ridden without serious engine overhaul or replacement?

2002 VTX 1800 R: (original owner)

- 150,000 km still running very well I use it for all
my long road trips.

Only two repairs to date:
  • 80,000 km - Water pump replacement
  • 135,000 km - Stator replacement

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts

2005 VTX 1800R - 24,000 plus miles I have replaced:

1. Electrical system regulator/rectifier:
2. Rear shock absorber mounting bushings:

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Approx. 120,000 miles on my 02 C. I have replaced the water pump, wheel bearings and steering head bearings. And one radiator. That's it. Have not got to use it much the last two years (some health issues) but before that I rode the living dog yee out of it. Roaming up and down the east coast and two trips cross country. Radiator went out in Boise, ID. Luckily I was staying at a GFs house where I had some tools stashed. Had rad expressed and changed it out in just a couple hours. Tons of oil and tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Approx. 120,000 miles on my 02 C. I have replaced the water pump, wheel bearings and steering head bearings. And one radiator. That's it. Have not got to use it much the last two years (some health issues) but before that I rode the living dog yee out of it. Roaming up and down the east coast and two trips cross country. Radiator went out in Boise, ID. Luckily I was staying at a GFs house where I had some tools stashed. Had rad expressed and changed it out in just a couple hours. Tons of oil and tires.
That's really nothing compared to almost 200.000 kilometers. :)

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
My 1300 has 204,206 miles on the odometer.
I am on the 3rd stator and Rectifier/Regulator.
On the 3rd clutch cable.
On the 3rd slide valve diaphragm.
Germany and Poland have/had VTX forums. I am not sure of their status.
On 18th Rear tire, 14th Frt tire.
I like my 1300!!!

·
Old Goat
26,260 Posts
Depending on your age…might outlast u…I know mine will….good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts