Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone plan on painting the bike this spring its an 2003 VTX 1800R.. Wanted to go a green, preferably a darker green,, but dont want just plain green.. any ideas on what to do to spice it up a bit THANKS.. (not a big fan of flames), maybe real flames tho

·
Super Moderator
64,223 Posts

·
Super Moderator
64,223 Posts
Welcome to the board!
Bookmark or save to your favorites folder, these websites, http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77
This is the NEW VTXOA Garage, a sister site to this message board and contains all your How-to/Tips/Tricks/Why’s and links to other helpful sites for your new VTX. http://www.bareasschoppers.com/ A fellow VTX Riders site that has many write-ups on “How-To” do work on the VTX. Also, for you 1300 guys http://vtx1300tips.com/VTX1300TIPS.htm another fellow VTX Riders site.

There is also a helpful Search icon in the users Toolbar just under the VTXOwners Association banner
Click the “Search” drop down and select “Advanced Search”

Now, enter your keywords and select a single forum to search in

Select 1, and only 1 "Forum" to search in at a time, or at all.
For example, "Best airbox" I would only search in the "1800 Tech Board"

That's the basic way, you can limit further by using some of the other "Drop-Down" menu's like if you know the thread you are looking for is only a week or so old, etc....

The purpose of the "Search" is to offer a member the opportunity to research his/her question better. There is so much information from past threads that you may never see because that member is no longer here, or doesn't see your new post, or just won't respond to the same question. So use it to your advantage and enjoy the board! View this funny and informative film about posting and searching…
How To Use This Forum, Click Here

Take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the forum. At the top of every board there are threads that are tagged as "Sticky" These threads are "Sticky" because they contain very important/valuable information about the VTX and everyone should read them.
The thread at the top of the 1800 tech board called, "Air, Fuel, Motors..." will answer most of the performance questions...
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21749

Also, update your Profile to include where you live and what type X you have to your Signature line. I.E. 1300/1800/C/F/N/R/S/T

·
Registered
141 Posts
Paint

Like Spike said.....:agree:

Check out some local auto paint suppliers or your friendly neighborhood bike painter that has some paint chips for you to look at. I'm painting mine right now I picked out a pearl green from the new house of color book that my painter has. I wanted to do real flame but the wifey don't like them.....so I went tribal instead....pics to come.

There are tons of paint types not just colors to choose from (Candies, Pearls, metalics, etc) not to mentions different color base coats make different paints look different.

Best bet is to find a good painter

Mr C

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'd second the above...Spend as much time finding the right painter as you do finding the right design. The best "looking" paint ideas in the world won't matter if you cant find someone to lay it down right. IMO..Best of luck..share some pics on what you decide.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks tfor the ideas..ill let ya know what i decide

G

·
I like dark green myself, but not into a lot of that custom paint design stuff because I ride my bike too much and the paint may get dinged and need repair.

I am do a two-tone green/black with black on the lower portions of the bike parts.

Maryland State Police use a scheme on their bikes I like and HD recently released a similar scheme. It's close to the MSP version but for some reason they opted to go with a slightly different green shade.

Here is the HD bike ....

On the other hand I also like a solid Pearl White with Black accenting.

I look to paint my bike this spring as well - not sure what way I will go but the advice on finding a good painter is excellent.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
My favorite color used to be General Motors Midnight Blue metallic,
but I also used to like British racing green.

I also used to think the the electric blue that the early 1970s
AMC Javelin and GTX cars came in was very eye catching.

Unlike a lot of the forum members here I also like the metallic
green that was a stock VTX color a few years ago.

These days I basically prefer darker colors that can be polished up
shiny enough to see your face in.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I went green, but not dark green. I liked the stock Honda Uranium Green but not the price.:shock:

I found this color on E-Bay Paid less than $200 for all paint reducers and primer. Color is called Fire Mist Lime.

When next to a stock Honda Uranium, this looks much brighter and has more green(Honda color looks more gold).

I get tons of thumbs up and many good compliments on the paint. Biggest comment is how good it looks with chrome!:thumbup:

This is a pic when I was still finishing the bike. Paint wasn't done, but you can tell how it looks with the chrome!;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Both bikes look amazing Love the painted engine and frame.... ive been thinkings of doing...black w/ real green flames or a green w/ghost skulls broken off with a silver tribal or barbed wire and black on the bottom half..

·
Super Moderator
64,223 Posts
Just remember, the longer you go into spring, the longer you will have to wait to get your bike done and back to you. Especially if you choose a painter that is in our area, this is their extremely busy season.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Luckily, I know a friend, who went to school with a painter that could get it in after hours if necessary

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
+1.

I love that. I normally don't like custom paint, but thats really unique!
Thanks, that may be my favorite job I've done. Did that for a soldier who was overseas at the time. He was doing the bike as a tribute, he did POW pulley cover and tons of new parts. We airbrushed over 125 rivets on that bike, but it was well worth the time.

·
Registered
217 Posts
you like Green... Go Dark Green with some Medium Flake... and if you wanna get goofy go with two racing stripes and a slightly different Shade with a diferent sized flake

just an Idea

1 - 20 of 25 Posts