Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2003 1800 Retro and fell in love with the bike as soon as I rode away from the dealership after and after a few modifications, still love the beast. But, the motorcycle could have been made better. It needs: self-adjusting valves, gas gauge, self-canceling turn signals, tach and a little easier way to find the kickstand when you're on the bike. A little more cruising range (maybe a little larger gas tank?) would also be nice. I also want the motor to be silky smooth at all speeds, not just above 70 mph. I really don't want any vibration at any time. I know that riders complained when the VTX's come out that they wanted to feel the motorcycle and they didn't like the bike so smooth running without any vibration to the motor. Then, Honda changed the motor to have some vibration at around 50 to 65 mph. Well, changing this was a big mistake in my opinion. I don't need to feel the motorcycle below me to know what monster I'm riding. I already know. Yeah, I know, I know, just get a Goldwing if I want these things. I would have, but I love the "Cruiser" styles better than the big touring models of the big Goldwings. Well, just my opinion. Like I said, still love my VTX and will be riding her for a long while. Your opinions??? :lol:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I'm happy. The things I didn't like, I changed.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
LOL I was gonna say the same thing, Valks don't vibrate. After 6 weeks on one then getting back on the VTX it was like WOW didn't know she vibrated so much. A few days on the VTX and the vibration seemed to disapear...got used to it again. :oops:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BlackMtnMan said:
Buy a Valk :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: j/k
Yeah, I love the Valks, but they Honda didn't have the $2000 rebate on them last year like they did for the VTX 1800's. I did see a beautiful black Valk on the showroom floor last year and sat on it. Seemed like the seating position was way to high for me, however. Seemed a lot higher than the VTX bike. Also, the price was a lot more, too. Maybe will buy one in a couple of years. A Valk would be my next choice. :lol:

·
Registered
299 Posts
PPP111,

I hear you. Your observations are very similar to mine. And yes, to everybody else, the Valk is just that. However, they are not making it any more... Otherwise, many VTX riders would have gotten it.

Honda has been sending mixed signals about the Valk's future. Early last year they said "no more" and then in an interview with reporters one of the big-wigs said "not sure" -- I guess we'll see.

BTW, if you ask any Honda mechanic they will tell you how mechanically sound the Valk is.

Duke

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I tried the Valk and thought it was too big for me. I do a lot of city riding. Like the look and feel of the Valk. but it wasn't what I was looking for. The X, C model was. It reminded me of my old BSA, which wasn't all stock, many moons ago. Great memories then, now I have new ones, but a much better bike.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RJRpig said:
I tried the Valk and thought it was too big for me. I do a lot of city riding. Like the look and feel of the Valk. but it wasn't what I was looking for. The X, C model was. It reminded me of my old BSA, which wasn't all stock, many moons ago. Great memories then, now I have new ones, but a much better bike.
Yeah, I remember those days, too. Had a used "BSA 441 Victor" back in 1973. It was a single cylinder with a ton of low-end torque! Talk about pulling power! Had a few triumphs, too. The BSA and the triumphs had hellish power to them, but getting them started and keeping them running was a chore sometimes. Also had to keep a pan underneath the bikes to catch all of the oil that dripped from the engine cases. The British bikes had the muscle for sure, but the dependability was a problem. Ahhh, the good ol days. And those 350cc Hondas ....... owned about 6 of those bikes. Great middle-sized motorcycles at the time with Honda quality. :lol: :lol: :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
go fast said:
Dude,

You sound like a HD owner :roll:
Have owned a few Harleys in the past, but not right now. Like Harleys, but for me they are priced way out of my budget and they don't have a shaft drive. After having a few shaft drives over the years, won't go back to a chain drive or a belt drive. I like having no maintenance to my final drive (outside of changing the fluid every now and then). Besides the fact the shaft drive won't break on you like chains or belts. Just my feelings. But owning a Harley does have it's benefits as like owning any other motorcycle. I owned a couple of new Harleys back when AMF was producing the bikes and the quality was horrible. And that's what was killing Harley back in the 70's. But since then, with Harley's new engine design and a lot better quality products on their bikes, the Harleys are much better motorcycles than before. Even the quality of most motorcycle manufacturers today is much better than it used to be. Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, Triumph, BMW and other motorcycle manufacturers have improved their bikes greatly over the last 20 years. That's real good news for us, the consumers, too. One of the things I am noticing right now (that I don't like) is the severe depreciation of the metric bikes compared to the Harleys and some other motorcycles. The value goes down too quick for my liking. :lol:

·
Registered
491 Posts
RJRpig said:
I tried the Valk and thought it was too big for me. I do a lot of city riding.
I have one and its my daily rider when the weather here in Colorado lets me. Dont let the size fool you she handles well at slow speeds as well as at high speeds. Two things I'd change on a stock mopdel if I could have was the self canceling turn signals (there arnt any on the Valk either) and I would have added a fuel guage. Dont have the bucks or pateince to try to convert one over from an I/S or the bucks to buy an I/S tank.

·
Registered
756 Posts
PPP111 said:
Got a 2003 1800 Retro and fell in love with the bike as soon as I rode away from the dealership after and after a few modifications, still love the beast. But, the motorcycle could have been made better. It needs: self-adjusting valves, gas gauge, self-canceling turn signals, tach and a little easier way to find the kickstand when you're on the bike. A little more cruising range (maybe a little larger gas tank?) would also be nice. I also want the motor to be silky smooth at all speeds, not just above 70 mph. I really don't want any vibration at any time. I know that riders complained when the VTX's come out that they wanted to feel the motorcycle and they didn't like the bike so smooth running without any vibration to the motor. Then, Honda changed the motor to have some vibration at around 50 to 65 mph. Well, changing this was a big mistake in my opinion. I don't need to feel the motorcycle below me to know what monster I'm riding. I already know. Yeah, I know, I know, just get a Goldwing if I want these things. I would have, but I love the "Cruiser" styles better than the big touring models of the big Goldwings. Well, just my opinion. Like I said, still love my VTX and will be riding her for a long while. Your opinions??? :lol:
...and I want a puppy...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
It sounds and feels like a V-Twin ought to. I guess I like mine just like it is , old school look and feel but I know I can depend on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used to try to make everything absolutely perfect too.... and I realized I was beginning to sound like my ex-wife... so I stopped!

·
Registered
468 Posts
I think this is where the F distinguishes itself. Other than price, it covers most of the common concerns/issues. I'd be interested in hearing how they are selling.

I suppose Honda fell into the Spartan trap H-D established and figured they'd have more folks cross over on the strength of a big twin. It would be interesting to see their market research.

Anyway, to each their own in determining how well it meets their expectations and realizing a quality ownership experience.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It is true that your metric bike's value for resale goes in the crapper pretty quick. Not just Honda's either, but Yamaha, Kaw, and Suzy are the same. My scoot is what I expect it to be, but I rode HD's for a long time. I just wish there wasn't so much PLASTIC on it, ,but but then I guess it would cost a lot more for sure. I would like to see Honda get into the aftermarket stuff a little more like HD does, but they must feel the matket just isn't there. The stuff they DO have is pretty pricey also.

·
Registered
468 Posts
stickyfingers said:
It is true that your metric bike's value for resale goes in the crapper pretty quick. Not just Honda's either, but Yamaha, Kaw, and Suzy are the same. My scoot is what I expect it to be, but I rode HD's for a long time. I just wish there wasn't so much PLASTIC on it, ,but but then I guess it would cost a lot more for sure. I would like to see Honda get into the aftermarket stuff a little more like HD does, but they must feel the matket just isn't there. The stuff they DO have is pretty pricey also.
H-D has an incredible gig. Imagine if every truck owner out there stopped into the dealership once a month to buy a factory accessory or meet up with other truck drivers.

Honda must not have much juice in getting the accessories from the parts room to the display floor.

Back to Harley, I don't think their stuff is particularly spendy, either. It can add up, but if you get a Road King Classic or Custom you already have a pretty well setup bike.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts