Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I started out on a VLX and now kinda miss a lighter bike that I can lift and throw around with ease. A 600cc bike can take you anywhere. My son just bought a Shadow Spirit and it's a delight to ride.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Riders with large V cruisers do not need modern social life channels, they are already noticeable on the street.
and most of us are older and could care less about social media and the like. we post here because we have a common interest. Most older folks like myself don't use and could care less about social media and posting everything about our lives for the world to see.

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
and most of us are older and could care less about social media and the like. we post here because we have a common interest. Most older folks like myself don't use and could care less about social media and posting everything about our lives for the world to see.
Whats social media?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Whats social media?
exactly..

being >50 with a wife >60 my teenager doesn't understand why I won't allow any social media in my house. I have told her from the get go, when she is 18 she can do what she wants, until then no social media type apps or websites are allowed in my house, and they are all blocked on my firewall and the VPN I have on her phone.

it caused some arguments of unfairness initially, but after some of her friends had some issues with local law enforcement due to their stupid posts she came to realize dad "might" have a clue.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
We are all guilty of mobile or internet use to view and post on VTXOA. It's a form of social media when we use a phone or a laptop to view the site. We complain about wives, teenagers and kids and we do the same thing lol.

there is a difference. posting on a car or motorcycle forum about our bikes, tech support, mods, etc. is vastly different than posting everything about your life for the world to see for the pure purpose of clicks and likes and viral attention.

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
The VTX V-Twin cruiser gained popularity for older guys after Motorcycle Mania, Biker Build-Offs, OCC and other TV shows. V-Twin cruisers seemed to start losing their appeal after these TV shows ended. As far as design, pretty much everything has been built with V-Twins. As far Adventurer motorcycles this group of riders seem to start about 15 years back and has been gaining popularity for manufacturers to make these kind of bikes. Also I noticed the naked sport bikes are popular with younger riders. Times change, styles of motorcycles come and go when you look back at the history.
Time will come that these bikes are classics and gain a new appreciation. Nothing is gone forever from that standpoint. For now, my brothers, ride safe and enjoy every minute.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I've been watching lot of motorcycle youtube channels. From people on adventure bikes who circled the globe to those who rode the Dalton highway to the arctic circle. Not once did I see anybody put the VTX on their list for anything, test ride it, ride it cross country or anything like that. VTX doesn't seem to even exist in the enthusiasts world. Seems like a pretty boring segment.
I always found the X interesting. With it I've ridden 46 states including Alaska and the provinces of Manitoba, Alberta, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, Yukon, and Northwest Territories. One particular trip was 43 states and 10.3k miles, all the welcome signs are in a pic below. Another was a trip to Alaska that was 9.4k miles. Longest IBA was 2,142 miles in about 40 hours, Pa to Idaho. Miles were irrelevant on the X because I had it setup so well for me. I had an aux fuel tank on it that gave me about 190 mile range.

I've ridden the Dalton to the arctic ocean and also the Dempster to the arctic ocean but on my 650, not on youtube. No I wouldn't recommend doing it with the X, it has low ground clearance and you'd have to find some sort of off road tires and fixing a bad tire on a bike without a center stand just isn't easy, your paint won't look the same when you finish. When you are going 60mph on loose gravel and a semi rig is coming the other way at 60mph, the stone hitting the bike is somewhere around 120mph. However I heard about 2 "mature" women about 70ish that did the Dalton on mopeds just to prove it could be done. I actually think that is not a terrible idea because you won't have all the high speed issues associated with that road. I have done some significant dirt riding with the X and it is fine on rural back country roads and forest service type roads. I live on a dirt road so everytime I left with it was a minimum of 1.2mi of dirt, better than my LT on the dirt because the X runs lower tire pressure.

I guess I would ask what will you actually do that you think the X shouldn't? What will your VLX do the X won't? Why does having a bike listed on youtube make it a more exciting choice? At least for me the interest comes from the doing and not the watching.

WAY too many cool pictures to post, at least to me, just a very little sample of where the X has taken me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
there is a difference. posting on a car or motorcycle forum about our bikes, tech support, mods, etc. is vastly different than posting everything about your life for the world to see for the pure purpose of clicks and likes and viral attention.
So what YOU like is all of a sudden not social media. It most certainly is. What do you call an internet place with 87 million claimed views? Let me guess. Social media?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I always found the X interesting. With it I've ridden 46 states including Alaska and the provinces of Manitoba, Alberta, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, Yukon, and Northwest Territories. One particular trip was 43 states and 10.3k miles, all the welcome signs are in a pic below. Another was a trip to Alaska that was 9.4k miles. Longest IBA was 2,142 miles in about 40 hours, Pa to Idaho. Miles were irrelevant on the X because I had it setup so well for me. I had an aux fuel tank on it that gave me about 190 mile range.

I've ridden the Dalton to the arctic ocean and also the Dempster to the arctic ocean but on my 650, not on youtube. No I wouldn't recommend doing it with the X, it has low ground clearance and you'd have to find some sort of off road tires and fixing a bad tire on a bike without a center stand just isn't easy, your paint won't look the same when you finish. When you are going 60mph on loose gravel and a semi rig is coming the other way at 60mph, the stone hitting the bike is somewhere around 120mph. However I heard about 2 "mature" women about 70ish that did the Dalton on mopeds just to prove it could be done. I actually think that is not a terrible idea because you won't have all the high speed issues associated with that road. I have done some significant dirt riding with the X and it is fine on rural back country roads and forest service type roads. I live on a dirt road so everytime I left with it was a minimum of 1.2mi of dirt, better than my LT on the dirt because the X runs lower tire pressure.

I guess I would ask what will you actually do that you think the X shouldn't? What will your VLX do the X won't? Why does having a bike listed on youtube make it a more exciting choice? At least for me the interest comes from the doing and not the watching.

WAY too many cool pictures to post, at least to me, just a very little sample of where the X has taken me.
WOW! Nice going. Too bad you didn't Youtube it all. :) You are my new hero! :)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
So what YOU like is all of a sudden not social media. It most certainly is. What do you call an internet place with 87 million claimed views? Let me guess. Social media?
not even close to the point I was making, nice of you to read into what it is YOU want to grasp instead of understanding what is being stated at face value.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So... leaving the virtues and vices of the interwebs and returning to the originating question about the "popularity" or current visibility of Hondas' VTX 1300 & 1800 line of bikes..... I'm curios to know how many were made and sold? I'd like to know if Mother HONDA considered this line of bikes a success? Then, how do VTX's compare to similar bikes on the same criteria.
My sense is that they were/are rather successful by some number of measurable criteria starting perhaps with the shear number produced. I somehow think there were many sold. Also, I've never heard anyone on this forum bemoan how much they regretted their ownership of an X despite that this is an aging fleet of '02-'08 bikes. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
So... leaving the virtues and vices of the interwebs and returning to the originating question about the "popularity" or current visibility of Hondas' VTX 1300 & 1800 line of bikes..... I'm curios to know how many were made and sold? I'd like to know if Mother HONDA considered this line of bikes a success? Then, how do VTX's compare to similar bikes on the same criteria.
My sense is that they were/are rather successful by some number of measurable criteria starting perhaps with the shear number produced. I somehow think there were many sold. Also, I've never heard anyone on this forum bemoan how much they regretted their ownership of an X despite that this is an aging fleet of '02-'08 bikes. Thoughts?
From what I have read the 1800 averaged 12,000 a year for its first 3-4 years topping out at 30,000 units world wide in 2005, after than it decline to mere hundreds by 2008. The 1300 out sold the 1800 during its life, but again it declined in sales rather rapidly, especially after the introduction of the Fury.

And Dealerships just didn’t have them. Refusing to order any more than 1 or 2 of them if that.

IMO the problem was marketing and too many choices in models but not enough choices in options, colors and pricing.

by 2006 there was the:

R
S
N
F
T
C

models, 6 different models each only available in 1 or 2 colors, and each only available in certain locations.

Around me and the reason I got an F in challenger brown, is that is the only VTX any dealer had in 30 miles. Think about that. 1 color 1 model, 8 dealerships. In Los Angeles.

Honda would have been wiser to have 3 models, Choice of wheels, bags, fenders, and colors. Limiting a customer to 1 color and 1 of 6 possible models, because dealers don’t want to hold the inventory is just stupid. People want choices, wheel options, color options, accessory options.

It is the same issue I am running into now looking at the newer Goldwing. Can’t get black in the bagger model, only in the touring, can’t find anything other than the damn DCT automatic. So if I want one, I am stuck with a full touring for $6000 more, with a DCT.

Well guess what, I’m not going to buy for that reason. No option, no choices.

IMO that is what happened to the VTX, too many models, but not enough custom choices between them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Great summary and in hindsight, makes sense. That was a loosing strategy. Seems like one they're about to repeat with Goldwings?
This may be beyond your comfort level but consider going beyond your local radius and even across country to get the one you want. It worked for me (my experience). Yes, a bit of a hassle maybe for the one way ticket but riding it home could be the priceless adventure you wouldn't otherwise have. Any reason to ride is a good one!

·
Registered
904 Posts
From what I have read the 1800 averaged 12,000 a year for its first 3-4 years topping out at 30,000 units world wide in 2005, after than it decline to mere hundreds by 2008. The 1300 out sold the 1800 during its life, but again it declined in sales rather rapidly, especially after the introduction of the Fury.

And Dealerships just didn’t have them. Refusing to order any more than 1 or 2 of them if that.

IMO the problem was marketing and too many choices in models but not enough choices in options, colors and pricing.

IMO that is what happened to the VTX, too many models, but not enough custom choices between them.
Agree, but another major factor that hurt VTX sales was Harley-Davidson. People gave in to the marketing, clothing and look of the Harley lifestyle. A lower cost reliable bike didn't sell to many people.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Great summary and in hindsight, makes sense. That was a loosing strategy. Seems like one they're about to repeat with Goldwings?
This may be beyond your comfort level but consider going beyond your local radius and even across country to get the one you want. It worked for me (my experience). Yes, a bit of a hassle maybe for the one way ticket but riding it home could be the priceless adventure you wouldn't otherwise have. Any reason to ride is a good one!
Yeah, but I am still stuck with 1 color choice for the model I want or spend $6,000 more for the next level up with features I am not interested in, or buy the model I want and spend that $6,000 on paint.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Agree, but another major factor that hurt VTX sales was Harley-Davidson. People gave in to the marketing, clothing and look of the Harley lifestyle. A lower cost reliable bike didn't sell to many people.
That will always be a factor. Truth is someone that is into the “Harley” life won’t ever look at anything else, Indian, Honda, Suzuki, etc. and the marketing is adjusted for that.

however most that are interested in other than Harley will go to Harley if they can’t find the options and deal they want. Harley and Indian are very buildable and configurable, Honda, Kawasaki, and Suzuki are not.

It is the same with Japanese and Korean cars, They come as they are, and you cannot custom configure or order them, you buy what the dealer has, or find another dealer.

Chevy, Ford, Chrysler are very configurable and allow for special ordering on their halo models, like Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, SRT models Etc.

In 2012 had ordered and custom built a Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, waited a month for delivery. Sadly it was bought back as a lemon after 2 years of an ongoing problem, but my point is I was able to get the color combo and options I wanted.

In 2015 I bought a Lexus RC-F to replace the aforementioned Camaro, I wanted the torque-vectoring model with the carbon fiber trim, White with Black interior, but there were non to be had and I could not order one, I ended up just getting one they had on the the lot, white with red interior, and none of the performance options, because that is all I could find after searching a dozen dealerships within 500 miles.

While the buying experience with Lexus was far better, I was very limited in my choices. Same thing just happened to me in Feb. I sold the RC-F last March when Covid hit, and started bicycle commuting. Saved my car payment and insurance money for a year. Decided I needed a family hauler, settled on the Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy AWD, Could not find the color combo and trim level I wanted at any dealership within CA. ended up driving to AZ to get the one I wanted. Hyundai, like Lexus and Honda Motorsports, allocates specific builds to dealerships and that is all they get, the customer either takes it, or goes elsewhere, or to another brand.

while this type of marketing might work in Asia or Europe, Americano like choices, at least pre millennial Americans do. can’t say much about the last 2 generations, instant gratification and disposable mentally.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts