Just bought a HID Motorcycle kit, and installed it on my 1300 VTX I'll go quickly over the removal of the seat, tank, neck collar, in which is where the HID Ballast will be installed. Just to get to the Actually HID installation. Total time it took from start to finish was 1 hour and 20 min. Reason I mounted the HID Ballast where I did, was to get good airflow over it, but yet keeping it from the outside elements. Some people choose to mount them in the headlight bucket, I couldn't imagine all that heat inside the headlight bucket. Here's how it was done.
Notice how tight the HID beam is, shinning on my garage door. As I drove around tonight for 2 hours, not 1 car shinned me their highbeams, meaning I was not blinding on coming traffic. The H4 bulb on the VTX throws a very tight extreme white light using the HID H4 bulb :
- First I removed the seat.
- Then remove the gas tank. ( Shut off gas ). Gas tank involves 2 lines going into the shut off valve, 1 line in the back right rear of the gas tank which is a vent line, ( remove the right rear spark plug cover ) .Next right front part of the gas tank ,there are 2 green connectors for your speedo. Carefully not to break the slide on top of them when disconnecting them. Remove the rear tank bolt. The tank will not leak, because it needs vaccuum for the flow of gas.
- Remove the gas tank. ( Don't forget to tie off the front wheel )
- Remove the 2pc plastic neck collar.
- Remove your Headlight by removing the 2 bolts, then un-clip the H4 bulb inside the canister.
- Under the neck, between the frame, is where I mounted the HID Ballast. The wires are long enough in the kit to reach inside the headlight bucket.
- I Installed the HID Ballast using a 3M double sided tape, then wire tied it around the frame. This is where it will stay dry, but get good venilation. The HID ballast in this kit is 100% waterproof.
- Run the wires from the HID Ballast into the headlight bucket.
- Be careful to leave enough wire, so you can turn the front wheel
- Remove the HID bulb from its original packing. ( Be sure not to touch the bulb, because your finger prints will ruin the bulb within a few days.
- Install the HID H4 Bulb into the canister. There will be 3 prongs, one fat one at the top, and two skinny ones at the bottom. Match them up correctly.
- Connect the high voltage wires from the HID bulb, to the HID Ballast inside the can.
- Carefully wire tie everything up inside the can, so that you can install back the HID Bulb, with the front headlight trim cover.
- Install the front trim headlight cover with the 2 bolts.
- Reverse the plastic collar, gas tank, seat.