Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may only apply to the Retro models...not sure if the C has the "VTX" logo on the handlebar clamp plate. After installing some 4" risers, the stock handlebar clamp plate was much more conspicuous, so I thought of maybe filling it in with something to match the bike's color. This is the result of the 4th attempt. After trying auto touch-up paint (twice), I decided to try nail polish (twice). The color is cabarnet, but only because it was the closest match of polish that the wife would let me have. I may change it later for something closer. The Retro is Candy Red in case you can't tell from the poor photo.

The plate and risers are aluminum, so I polished everything up first. Then, using a Q-tip with polish remover, I cleaned out the recessed letters and lines to remove any metal polish. Next came two coats of nail polish. I tried real hard not to get any overrun outside the "lines", but, of course, it happened anyway. For clean up outside the lines, I used a Q-tip with nail polish remover. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Looks good Bo Bo

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
Might have to give that a try next time I have the plate off.
Very Nice

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Hey thats a great idea...looks nice!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Looks Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That will be a future project!

Thanks for posting the photos.

A quick edit after a second look. Where did you get the tank bib? Also what rises did you put on? . . . . . and last question, what tool bag is that on the handlebars?

Thanks again!

Ride Safe, Take Care, Dan
:coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1:

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Bo Bo said:
This may only apply to the Retro models...not sure if the C has the "VTX" logo on the handlebar clamp plate. After installing some 4" risers, the stock handlebar clamp plate was much more conspicuous, so I thought of maybe filling it in with something to match the bike's color. This is the result of the 4th attempt. After trying auto touch-up paint (twice), I decided to try nail polish (twice). The color is cabarnet, but only because it was the closest match of polish that the wife would let me have. I may change it later for something closer. The Retro is Candy Red in case you can't tell from the poor photo.

The plate and risers are aluminum, so I polished everything up first. Then, using a Q-tip with polish remover, I cleaned out the recessed letters and lines to remove any metal polish. Next came two coats of nail polish. I tried real hard not to get any overrun outside the "lines", but, of course, it happened anyway. For clean up outside the lines, I used a Q-tip with nail polish remover. What do you think?
I think it looks great. I gotta try that, too.

Thanks for the idea.

Eddie

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seakayaker said:
Looks Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That will be a future project!

Thanks for posting the photos.

A quick edit after a second look. Where did you get the tank bib? Also what rises did you put on? . . . . . and last question, what tool bag is that on the handlebars?

Thanks again!

Ride Safe, Take Care, Dan
Dan:
I just bought the bike used (only 2000 miles, now 2375 :p ), so the tank bib and tool bag were already on the bike. The original owner told me that most everything was Honda, so my best guess would be just that. The 4" risers were purchased from a fellow VTXOA owner...I'm cheap! :wink: To all the other X'rs, thanks...I appreciate it! 8)

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pingwax said:
Looks sharp! I actually like the look right there, but if you wanted an exact match, you could try a touch up paint.
Thanks pingwax...I appreciate it. As usual, it does actually look better first hand than via a photo. :wink: But if the sun fades it, or if it flakes off, or wears off, or whatever; if I do it again, I will go find some Candy Red nail polish or touch-up paint from somewhere!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Bo Bo,

Looks real good !

I did the same thing to mine too. I used black paint and a small finish nail to fill in the letters, than buffed off the excess. Also filled in Honda on the left side of the engine. I was going to do the right side until I realized that cover didn't come off easy. :roll:

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: looks GREAT...

dave shady said:
Just dont buy the matching LIPSTICK!
Funny you should mention that dave. :oops: 30+ years ago, I received a watch for graduation (don't ask). The watch had a Speidel metal band that looked like dark brown leather, and my initials were monogrammed into the watch face (crystal). The color material eventually came out of the engravings, and for years, I kept it new looking by merely using a brown crayon, to "color" the watch face, then wipe off the the excess with a cloth. This is what I thought about with the VTX logo on the handlebar clamp...and yes, I considered lipstick! But with the high temps in the summer, I can guess what would have happened. 8)

·
Mad Hatter
21,317 Posts
Very Good Look!!! I would Do it, But I have the Kewl Metal Bag coving it up..

·
Registered
481 Posts
Nail Polish... never thought of that. I tried paint and didn't like how it went in even tho I used it on the 1800 on the valve covers on my one time "01" Gold Wing.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts