Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Added 4/11/2005!!!! You guys seem to think I'm doing something special, well I'm here to tell you it's not just me. It's all of us, the people donating, the others that have helped out with even just kind words (don't take that Just thing wrong, kind words mean a lot to me, and I'm sure everyone else involved).

But RicksterVTX1300C has really stepped it up a notch (How's Emeril say it? Oh yeah BAM!!!) Check this out!!!

www.VTXRidersFund.com

He's been working on this (and to me looks like hard), now we're going to have some really cool stuff. Here are some PMs he sent me about this:

RicksterVTX1300C wrote:
Bruce,

We are up and running with the www.VTXRidersFund.com

Post it for all to see! This is awesome!!!

Rickster

RicksterVTX1300C wrote:
Bruce,

What is your personal email address.. In a day or so the www.VTXridersfund.com will automatically go to the donate page and I will then sent up an email address...how about [email protected] that forwards to your personal email. Once I send a test email thru to it and you get it, you can add [email protected] to the paypal account you have set up (you can have 6 emails for payment to a business account). Then I will change the website to reflect this new email address...

Thanks

Rick

IMHO This is just awesome, looks like we're getting setup to do this again, lets hope it just sits there unused.

VTX Riders Fund is setup (at least for now, if anyone has a problem with what I've done we'll get something else, just couldn't stand it any longer)

Ok, I just couldn't stand it and I took it on myself and set up a checking account at Washington Mutual and then set up a Paypal account to use.

If anyone has a problem with this we can work it out as we go, I don't want to piss anyone off, this is supposed to be a good thing.

Paypay account is setup as a business account that way people can use debit or credit, now paypal will take a small fee but with $2.00 here $5.00 there it won't be much from each person and I figured it would be best that way people new to paypal wouldn't have to jump thru hoops just to give a few bucks.

[email protected] is the email address I setup for this, but the business name I used was VTX riders fund. It'll take a few days before the bank and paypal are working together (you remember, paypal deposits 2 deposits into the bank account for a few cents then you verify in paypal) but by the time it's all worked out it'll all be good.

If you don't have a paypal account it is a snap to set one up, just go to https://www.paypal.com/ click on the link that says Join Paypal today and it walks you thru it, easy. If you just want to send me a check I'll deposit it into this account and then the funds will go to the selected person. Please put the logon name of the person the funds are meant to go to in the notes that way if there is more than one person I can make sure your funds go to the person you want them to.

I'm only posting this here (1300 board) for now just to see how well this goes, but if you think it should go else where (1800 board, general board or what ever) ether post something yourself or let me know.

I've already started the ball, who'll be next to pick it up and run with it?

Peace

By the way, I plan on doing my very best to give you bank and paypal balances so you know that all moneys are going where they should and not on bling for the bike.

If anyone has a problem with what I’ve done lets talk it out, and the first person to get an award from this fund I think should be jdcook72. I liked PepsX’s idea about collecting for a week and then that money goes to the selected person so unless someone else comes up with something better send your donations to [email protected] and what ever is in there next Friday is his, I will need an address to send the check to but we can work that stuff out in the end.

Peace.

Edit:

Ok now we're coming together on this another member "RicksterVTX1300C" made a website for this and it's great, take a look!!

http://www.graduatetech.com/vtxrf/index.htm

I'll keep you updated on a total after I get off work, I'm starting to let things fall thru the cracks[/url]
There is this thread on the 1300 board http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65878 Now this is not the first one I've seen and it won't be the last.

It was suggested by a friend of mine from the board (he wanted to remain anonymous, why I don’t know) that it might be a good idea to help out other than with just good wishes and prayers. This is some of our PM’s on the subject:

First message:

Bruce
since you have been thru this before and are well know and well liked (lol not like me) on this board, I have a suggestion if you want to follow up on it.
would it be possible when something like this happens to fellow X'er on this board, that we can send some money to a "trusted" member and send the guy some get well flowers or help to offset the cost of insurance deductable. with so many members on this board 2 bucks from everyone would cover a lot of expences. its fantastic to send prayers and such, but i guess im a more practical guy (me and the big guy up there dont see eye to eye on alot of issues)

this also may be a terrible idea for a number of reasons. but I would like to help a fellow ridder if possible and i can spare 5 bucks any day i need to.
let me knwo what you think, just wanted to bounce it off you.
thanks
My reply

what a GREAT idea, I mean truly GREAT. And coming from a black X rider (hey, I've got to get my jabs in where I can). Really, I think it's a great idea, like you I could toss in a few bucks easy. The only problem I can think of would be the possibility of a scammer. But with a little help from the moderators, watching for the same IP address but under two names type of stuff I think it could work, but it would have to be run by them because it would need their help I think. But again buddy run with it, I think it's a GREAT idea, have I made it clear that I think this would be a GREAT idea yet?

Let me know if you want any help from me getting this going because I thing its a GREAT idea, have I said that yet?

Bruce
His next reply to me:

so you think its a great idea? if i read between the lines, thats the conclusion i draw.

ok, heres the idea after some (not much) thought.
I would like you to suggest it on the board, I dont care about getting credit for the idea, thats not important to me. but you are more known and better liked so i think the idea would be more succesfull comming from you. if you just dont want to do it, I dont mind, I just want more people to particapate.

1) if we had a contact name and address, we could all contribute indidually on our own, just send it to joe crash.

2) if we go thru the moderator, it may mean taxes, $ having to be reported and such.
3) if we went thru a non profit charity org (how many preachers are on this board) thats a thought.

4) run it up the flagpole ( the board) and see what ideas fall out.

let me know if you dont want to post the idea, and then ill do it.
I know that I could come up with a few bucks to help someone out, and I know that there are a lot of great people on this board so lets have some feed back, what ya all think? Can we make this kind of thing fly? I think we can, but I (we, the guy that suggested it and I) can't do it alone. Thought we'd run it up the flag pole and see if it flys.

Peace

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I think it would be a great idea, I'm not rich but I would be willing to help out by sending a little $$$. We all buy chrome for our scoots and I'm sure a few bucks per person would not kill us, If enough got involved it could add up quickly.
Count me in!

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I posted a link to this thread on the 1300 board, a lot more replies there we'll give it some more time and see what ideas others can come up with to get this off the ground.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This is a great and noble thing that we, as humans, can do. To think of others and their needs in their time of trouble is in deed a very worth while act of caring. To set this up may not be that hard. It will require trust in someone you probably will not know. Faith in your fellow human, for me it is easy, I give to other's for my own resons, my believe's is a big part of who I am. We need to set someone up with a paypal account or send checks. Would like to see what others have to say, but lets get this going and iron out the wrinkles along the way.

I am in it all the way.

Prayers go along way, but an act of (love) caring by giving something of ourselves really touches deeply those who are in need.

Randy

·
Registered
464 Posts
Sorry, I am relitievely new here. I don't quite understand what it proceeds... if you don't mind comming out and telling me. I read it, yes but if I could read plain flat words it would be much easier :) I guess I am just confused I think... :lol:

Whatever it is, I am here, count me in!

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I'm down with that too. I've sure blown a lotta bucks on far worse ideas. BTW, my prayers to your buddy too. 8)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Is it about the accident in the 1800 forums I just read about? Thats too bad. I am sorry to hear about it.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
As someone who recently went down.......... i can tell you the expense's are enormous just my leg and knee are getting close to a hundred Grand
but thats what insurance is for..........
but it doesnt cover that recovery time when you cannot work
so you can count me in as well :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Good idea and BTW thoughts to he and his family.

On the "donation" idea. It has to be simple and easy otherwise our daily lives will tend to get in the way. Not to throw something else at Hal to have to manage, but would there be a way we could simply pay for our donation (whatever the amount) and designate who it is for and use our various payment methods via Hal on-line just as if we were buying something? I'm sure a simple form could be created for the task.

Just a thought. Hal may not want (and that's understandable) to be responsible but then again maybe so.

Again, just an idea.

·
Registered
167 Posts
this is a fantastic idea and I think your friend who suggested it sees more eye to eye with the man upstairs then he thinks. I went down HARD on my birthday last year, got a one way helicopter ride to the regional hospital, and I am still recovering. I tell everyone that Christ let me hit the ground hard enough to get my attention...and he now has it! I am willing to contribute both time and money into this effort and all you or your friend with the big heart need to do is contact me, PM or e-mail.

[email protected]
or
[email protected]

I am looking forward to hearing from the both of you.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Great idea, happy to help out a vtx brother. For the cost of a couple beers or a couple of starbucks coffee, I think we could all chip in a few bucks. I think just the show of support with a few $$ would really be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now this is what I'm talking about, I thought a lot about this last night (so I had a sleepless one) I'm going to be busy at work today so I don't know if I'll have time to get too far into it but tonight I'll throw out some more thoughts on this, but keep the posts coming, all ideas to make this fly are great.

Peace.

And by the way, the people that talked about my friend that suggested this to me, I agree, HE!! of a guy, the world needs more like him, most here are though.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Not a bad idea but some people can be offended by the offering (I am one of those folk). I have a problem accepting money if I did not work for it. I totaled out a bike last year and had a few friends offer something similar and it put me in a bad position: If I do not take the money I might offend them if I take the money I offend myself. In the end I could not accept the money but the I felt bad for the people that took the time to gather it. I would have be better off if it was never offered. All the get well calls I got were great and a good spirit lift but the money offer rubbed me wrong.

Gary

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Spamaster said:
Not a bad idea but some people can be offended by the offering (I am one of those folk). I have a problem accepting money if I did not work for it. I totaled out a bike last year and had a few friends offer something similar and it put me in a bad position: If I do not take the money I might offend them if I take the money I offend myself. In the end I could not accept the money but the I felt bad for the people that took the time to gather it. I would have be better off if it was never offered. All the get well calls I got were great and a good spirit lift but the money offer rubbed me wrong.

Gary
I can see where some might feel that way, as some might feel like not participating in giving, and understand thanks for your input Gary one more thing to consider on this.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As I said earlier I had some thoughts last night and want to run it up the flag pole and see what everyone thinks.

It would be great if Hal could do this for us (you know, collect and distribute) but I see problems with this. Hal just doesn’t sell VTX parts and I don’t know this for sure, but I guess he hosts other websites that have his main page linked just like on the VTXOA board, so would this be for all his boards? I could see where this would get hard to handle very fast if this were the case. I think this would be too complicated but if you guys think we should run it by Hal and see what he thinks then that’s what will happen.

The way I saw this is (and hey I’m not the boss so if everyone thinks I’m off on this, you wouldn’t be the first ones and I’m with the majority on this) is it would be at the very most a VTXOA board thing (if other boards Hal hosts want to do it great, but would be a separate deal).

The person would have to be a member of the VTXOA board, not necessarily an active poster (you know what I’m getting at not a thing like: you have to have so many posts or have been a member for so long type of thing) and another member would have to make the request for them, maybe some sort of proof of a accident, I mean a couple of guys could get together and try and scam us, I don’t want that. I also don’t want this to get too hard ether so the more idea’s to pick from the better.

If a paypal account is used I think it should have to be a freshly started one just for this, it would be too easy for someone with an established account used for other things to mix funds up (you know, money coming in from eBay and this, could get confusing I think). I don’t think it would be too hard for someone to setup a special bank account and paypal account linked to that bank account just for this. Then with the help of the moderators (Lamont and Tapper) they could put a sticky at the top of the pages for this. Maybe something like when you send money to this account in the memo field make sure you put the members name (board ID) that its for (you never know, could be more than one rider down).

Gary suggested that there might be some that wouldn’t want the money, so how would we handle that type of problem? Would it be up to the person requesting to check and make sure that they would accept it? What if money came in for a person that didn’t want it? Hold it until the next time?

These are just real quick thoughts and I’m sure I’ll have more and you’ll have more. Keep them coming, it sounds like most would like this to happen so with a little work I think we can make it go.

Also, I’m trying to keep up with both threads I started on this, and really the thread I started on the 1300 board (sorry, I didn’t even think to post on the 1800 board, should I?) was just to point to the thread on the general board, I’ll still read both because I really like this idea, but if we could just use the one on the general board it would make it easier for everyone to see what everyone else is saying on this.

What a great group of people have collected on this site.

Peace

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
We have been down this road before with the Valkyrie club and it is a noble thought but it's not something that we as the VTXOA or HDL want to get involved in. I won't go into the details of what the problems were before but I would say if you really want to do this, do it case by case and be prepared to be disappointed for your good deeds. :roll:

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LaMonster said:
We have been down this road before with the Valkyrie club and it is a noble thought but it's not something that we as the VTXOA or HDL want to get involved in. I won't go into the details of what the problems were before but I would say if you really want to do this, do it case by case and be prepared to be disappointed for your good deeds. :roll:
Thanks for your input Lamont, and believe me, I understand, but I think if we keep it small, it might fly.

Peace.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
OK, I have thought alot about this, and I have a couple questions.
I totaled out a bike last year and had a few friends offer something similar and it put me in a bad position:
Spamster, if you had just found a check for say two hundred dollars in a get well card signed "your friends", would this have made it easier? I think that maybe, if you don't have a name, it might make it easier to accept. As well, as Lamont said, sometimes, we may be disappointed. Just my two cents, but I don't want to know what they used the money for. If I am offering money to someone, I don't want them knowing I did, and I don't want to know what they did with it. That is the nature of the gift. If I wanted to tell them how to spend it, I would intercept their hospital bill at the mailbox, and pay it myself. Giving from the heart doesn't come with expectations. This is my view, and definitely NOT meant to offend. Here's another idea that just hit me. If you don't want or need the money, hold onto it, and pitch it in for the next guy who goes down. I take criticism well, so give me ya'll's view.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts