Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A pdf has been made for the re-assembly of the steering stem.
I do not believe a pull test is necessary.
Honda has figured out 12 ft-lbs is in the middle of the range.
Besides having the pull test with wiring included is not kosher and a single disk on a 1300 skews the weight.

VTX steering stem bearings, 1800 OEM, 1300 upgrade.
The taper Roller bearings used in the upgrade are what the 1800 VTX has as OEM. Here are the closing steps of the 1800 steering stem bearings installation with info.(From service manual) There is a high torque (30 ft-lbs)to seat the bearings and races, moving stem lock to lock 5 times. Then the adjusting nut is loosened and torqued to 12 ft-lbs. Turn steering stem lock to lock 5 times, loosen nut and re-torque to 12 ft-lbs. SM says to repeat 4 times. Then the lock washer tab down and the top adjuster nut “B” screwed down to lock washer then backed off to the first tab alignment. Bend tab up. This GAP prevents torque from the top nut on top of the bridge from affecting the bearing preload.

Note: Nut on top bridge is torqued to 74 ft-lbs

Attachments

·
Old Goat
24,074 Posts
Using the above, when I did mine I didn’t do the pull test and bike performs as it should...:thumbup:

·
Registered
10,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Data for those that want to buy their own taper bearings

1300 OEM upper bearing SAC2647-1 26mm ID x 47mm OD x 15mm width
Honda 91015-KT8-005 BEARING, HEAD PIPE (UPPER) (KOYO)
Inside Diameter: 26mm
Outside Diameter: 47mm
Width: 15mm
----------------------
1300 OEM lower bearing SAC3055-1 30mm ID x 55mm OD x 17mm width
Honda 91016-KT8-005 BEARING, HEAD PIPE (LOWER) (KOYO)
Inside Diameter: 30mm
Outside Diameter: 55mm
Width: 17mm
-------------------------
Taper bearings are wider, no issues.

·
Registered
55 Posts
+1

jc

·
Registered
829 Posts
Thanks for the details Hans! This is by far the most thorough write-up I have come across.

Just to be clear - am I understanding correctly that the final torque value will be 12 ft-lbs after the initial high torque of 30 ft-lbs?

DAS

·
Registered
10,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the details Hans! This is by far the most thorough write-up I have come across.

Just to be clear - am I understanding correctly that the final torque value will be 12 ft-lbs after the initial high torque of 30 ft-lbs?

DAS
That is correct for the lower lock nut.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts