Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove 337 miles their & 337 miles back to pick up a 06 Honda 1800n spec 3 that the seller said was in excellent condition. I will not go into detail but it was far from excellent condition. We spoke several times. The pictures looked great. But up & close & personal was another story. Buyer beware has only happened to me a couple of times in my life. I really wanted this 1800. I had a C model many years ago that I bought new it was a great bike. My shop manual I bought from E-Bay came in the mail today along with the owners manual I bought also. This was a big let down but I will keep searching. Maybe a little closer to home next time.
Thanks to all who answered my questions about this bike.

Dean

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Drove 337 miles their & 337 miles back to pick up a 06 Honda 1800n spec 3 that the seller said was in excellent condition. I will not go into detail but it was far from excellent condition. We spoke several times. The pictures looked great. But up & close & personal was another story. Buyer beware has only happened to me a couple of times in my life. I really wanted this 1800. I had a C model many years ago that I bought new it was a great bike. My shop manual I bought from E-Bay came in the mail today along with the owners manual I bought also. This was a big let down but I will keep searching. Maybe a little closer to home next time.
Thanks to all who answered my questions about this bike.

Dean
What is your location (closest city, if not exact location)?

Reactions: Merry Prankster

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
was this one advertised on Facebook? I think I saw a post from someone there about an N in Alabama that was not as described and buyer beware, unless that was also you,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No it was not on facebook. And none of that was me at all. when someone tells me their bike is in excellent condition.

#1 I do not expect to see the bottom of the bike filled with oil dirt & grime & grease
#2 I expect it to crank. It was so low on coolant it would not crank. he said perhaps it was a sensor. he took the l/S cover off and their was little to no coolant at all in the overflow tank.
#3 Lights were not working properly.
#4 Tons of scratches all over the bike. You could not see these in the photos.
#5 Lots of minor rust that would take a lot of elbow grease to get out..
#7 Pure neglect by the previous owner.

I pride myself in taking care of my motorcycles. I just sold my 98 Valk with 16thousand on it. Bike was in MINT CONDITION. WE put it on craigslist and it sold in less than 5 minutes. 24 pictures showed everything top to bottom. I would never sell something that had something wrong with it. Be honest with the buyer.
I will not be driving any more long distance driving for a while. Their was a burning trailer on the highway and it held traffic up for hours. We almost got in a few wrecks due to people getting in a hurry. I was lucky but sometime you can't count on luck. Something bad is bound to happen

Dean

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800R Lowered 2" Rhinehardt Flush Cut, Brown County X with Flames Air Box Cover
1,553 Posts
No it was not on facebook. And none of that was me at all. when someone tells me their bike is in excellent condition.

#1 I do not expect to see the bottom of the bike filled with oil dirt & grime & grease
#2 I expect it to crank. It was so low on coolant it would not crank. he said perhaps it was a sensor. he took the l/S cover off and their was little to no coolant at all in the overflow tank.

I pride myself in taking care of my motorcycles. I just sold my 98 Valk with 16thousand on it. Bike was in MINT CONDITION. WE put it on craigslist and it sold in less than 5 minutes. 24 pictures showed everything top to bottom. I would never sell something that had something wrong with it. Be honest with the buyer.
I will not be driving any more long distance driving for a while. Their was a burning trailer on the highway and it held traffic up for hours. We almost got in a few wrecks due to people getting in a hurry. I was lucky but sometime you can't count on luck. Something bad is bound to happen

Dean
Perspective, patience, you will be rewarded.. The Gods will smile upon you.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I feel your pain Spec 3. Last year I drive for nearly two hours to check out a bike that looked ok in the three photo's. Upon arrival I could see the bike had been poorly looked after. The wierdo who was selling it was surprised when I didn't want a test ride. I told him I only have bikes in "showroom condition" He claimed it was "ridden, not hidden" You can't help but get a little excited as you travel that far with cash in your pocket and someone next to you to drive your car home. The let down on the drive home is a bast*rd. Eventually I came across my Triumph America (called Donald Trumpy) and I am glad I bided my time. Best of luck with your quest. Time is on your side.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts

Dean
sadly, most people don't care and just try to "get over" on someone else.

it's one of the reasons I stay away from private sellers.

I've built several hot rods in my 50 years, from barn yard rust bucket to a fully proper machine. I am meticulous and have high levels of OCD about that kind of stuff. But I can tell you stories of "complete", "like new" classic and retromod vehicles that were half-assed and trying to be passed off as "needs nothing"

IMO most people that use terms like Excellent condition, like new, needs nothing, are trying to pass off a POS. Honest ads call out what the vehicle needs, a 20-year-old vehicle is not "like new" no matter how well maintained it is, time takes its toll, they all need something.

my X is 17 years old, I just completely rebuilt it from the ground up, damn near everything was replaced, repainted, powder-coated, customized, and tuned. yes, she looks show room fresh, but she is 17 years old, she isn't like new. she is rebuilt.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
The 'lesson learned' here should be to never trust someone simply saying a bike is in "excellent" condition. The seller has to prove it. In this modern age, there is no excuse for a seller not to provide whatever photos (up close) your ask for prior to a long drive to purchase. Hell, most smart phones do videos, so asking for a walkaround and cold start up video isn't asking for too much. If a seller isn't willing to prove the bike is in excellent condition, move on or 'take your lumps' of disappointment when they arrive.

Reactions: lofty

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Agreed, good pictures are key if I am driving far for the bike. However, we all know that people can send 10-y/o pictures when the bike looked much better and not rusty.
A video chat seems like one of the easiest ways since the cameraman can show whatever the buyer asks for, up close, different angles etc. I might use that for the next more distant purchase.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The 'lesson learned' here should be to never trust someone simply saying a bike is in "excellent" condition. The seller has to prove it. In this modern age, there is no excuse for a seller not to provide whatever photos (up close) your ask for prior to a long drive to purchase. Hell, most smart phones do videos, so asking for a walkaround and cold start up video isn't asking for too much. If a seller isn't willing to prove the bike is in excellent condition, move on or 'take your lumps' of disappointment when they arrive.
I remember during the 80's and 90's going look at bikes for sale and was disappointed a few times. At that time photo ads in print wasn't much to go by. If the seller's bike sounded good over the phone you had to take the chance to go look at it. For the poster, keep looking till the right bike comes along.

·
Registered
28 Posts
when i am buying something, not just a motorcycle but i'll use that as an example. i look for more info in the pics. i like to see the garage, the condition, are things hanging or is there junk all over the floor. i look at the house and or the yard if it's in the photo. i look at the way the item was shot; any out of focus pictures is a move on signal. i like the vital info upfront. i don't know how many ads on Facebook (for ex.) do not include CCs, condition of tires, or MILEAGE. the recent bike i bought looked good, guy came right back with info. i drove 120 miles but the bike was sold when i pulled in the driveway. it was as described and all the other boxes were checked.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
241 Posts
when i am buying something, not just a motorcycle but i'll use that as an example. i look for more info in the pics. i like to see the garage, the condition, are things hanging or is there junk all over the floor. i look at the house and or the yard if it's in the photo. i look at the way the item was shot; any out of focus pictures is a move on signal. i like the vital info upfront. i don't know how many ads on Facebook (for ex.) do not include CCs, condition of tires, or MILEAGE. the recent bike i bought looked good, guy came right back with info. i drove 120 miles but the bike was sold when i pulled in the driveway. it was as described and all the other boxes were checked.
That kind of sucks that it was sold when you got there. Another thing I promised myself some years back is anytime I have to drive longer than say 15 minutes to get to a purchase, I make the seller give me their word that they will hold the item at least until I can see it. If they’re not willing to do that then I don’t bother with them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That kind of sucks that it was sold when you got there. Another thing I promised myself some years back is anytime I have to drive longer than say 15 minutes to get to a purchase, I make the seller give me their word that they will hold the item at least until I can see it. If they’re not willing to do that then I don’t bother with them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts