Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I meant to ask this last week, but forgot about it.

Did anybody else receive a letter from Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro regarding their decision not to pursue the VTX1300 Wheel Wobble Class Action Lawsuit?

Eddie

·
Registered
417 Posts
Got mine Monday.

Says they have decided not to persue the 1300 VTX wobble class action suit against Honda, along side the suit they have already filed concerning the Gold Wing wobble.

The letter also encourages me to act quickly in seeking legal aid, if I intend to continue in my complaint against Honda.

I've replaced the stock ball bearings with All Balls tapered roller bearings, and the wobble is gone. Wish Honda would pay me for this expense, but it looks like that isn't going to happen. I still feel better/safer for having done the repair.

Your mileage may vary.

G

·
Wobble

Could not wait to change bearings. Hated the wobble and replaced the bearings along with the mechanic. Like night and day, well worth the money and as far as the law suit. If it happens, it does. But I do enjoy the new ride. My advise, change the bearings right away and feel good.
Bob

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does anyone have the part numbers and Manufactuer for the bearings they used for replacement. I have the wooble and would like to correct as soon as I can.
Thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
15,774 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Why you can buy the replacement bearings right here on this very site: http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/store ... =465468321

If you do a search on "wobble", be prepared for about a weeks worth of reading. There is a thread on the installation of the head bearings at the VTXOA Garage. There are some special tools that make the swap easier.

The 1300 came stock with ball bearings, the 1800 has the tapered roller bearings. So you are essentially installing 1800 bearings in the 1300. If you are not mechanically inclined, most dealerships won't do this ... but you can ask. Had mine done at an independent shop.

G

·
Does everyone experience the wobble? Is it at certain speeds? I cant say for sure if I experience it. I get vibrations sometimes....is that wobble related?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Okay another NEWBIE question. As some of you may remember I recently bought an '03 1300 VTX. I have noticed a slight wobble between 40 - 50mph. I also seem to have a very slight lean to the bike but it is hard to tell since the route I mostly notice it on has a strong cross wind so I am not sure if it is a lean or just the crosswind.

Anyhow back to my question. This is a high milage bike, 43,000. and has been very well maintained. I am sure that if it were the original bearings they would have been replaced by now if a problem or could this be a recurring issue?

Does this sound like the bearings or more a tire balance problem? I really don't notice it at other speeds.

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
eddiecohen said:
I meant to ask this last week, but forgot about it.

Did anybody else receive a letter from Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro regarding their decision not to pursue the VTX1300 Wheel Wobble Class Action Lawsuit?

Eddie
I didnt get a letter...but I got a couple of voicemails from them asking me to call.....I guess thats what it is about. I was a "class action rep".

I will be interested to hear why they are not persuing...I will pass on whatever info I can if they release any.

In the meantime, I have a new set of All Balls in my garage waiting installation....just trying to muster up the courage.....the lack of special tools is making me a little nervous......not to mention completely ripping apart the entire front end....

Oh well, I guess it will be a bonding experience between me and my X ..... LOL :D

G

·
I didn't get a letter.

I contacted them and in the initial communication I had with them it didn't sound like a suit would go anywhere.

They told me a suit re:VTX 1300 was contingent on the outcome of the Goldwing Suit. Talking to my own lawyer he said it sounds like they were waiting to see what the payout on the Goldwing suit was before going ahead with the VTX.

To be honest my contact with them was back when I saw it mentioned here not long after I joined.

G

·
need a bearing tech day near me

Well i need to hook up with someone around My area to do the change out on the front bearing on My 05 1300 C. I know what bearings to buy , but while I'm sure I could take the front of the bike apart, getting it back together well thats gonna need help. ....................WVleo

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Well, I just returned the call from the lawfirm.

The explanation given to me was that the judgement in the Wing case was less positive than they had hoped.....here is how I understand the facts:

While the judge did not throw out the case, he did deny some of the requests of the lawfirm.......the judge has "approved" the case but the firm denied a "nationwide" class action based on the work that the firm has done to date.....to continue the case, the firm needs to go state by state and secure folks with the problem in every state and basically persue the case on a per-state basis.

They have therefore decided to not persue the VTX case based on that ruling.

I am disappointed........the firm obviously sees merit and potential profit in the case, but I can understand that they also see a second case of this type having the potential to really tap their resources to the max......the lawfirm is, after all, a business...and a business has to balance the expenditures with the income.....

So, I guess Honda wins this round and gets away with an obvious design flaw.......It will be interesting to see if the Wing case is persued or if it too is allowed to wither away because Honda basically has more money to fight it.

In the meantime, I am gearing up to replace my bearings....have the new All Balls sitting in my garage....just mustering the balls to do the work. LOL :roll:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Is there one for our speedometer?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts