Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2006 VTX1300R

I've had this bike for 3 years, 8000 miles (26,000 on bike), not a single problem, regular maintenance each year.

Went for a ride today, stopped at the store, came out, as soon as I hit the starter switch, there was a click, and all the power went out.

Pulled the seat figuring it was a loose battery connection, everythings tight and no visible damage or corrosion. I could get the dash lights to come back on, I thought by jiggling the wires, but at one point I was just standing there thinking, and they came on without me touching anything, either way, as soon as you pull any power, starter switch, or even just the horn, all the power and lights go out and its dead.

Is there a "power on" relay? There is a small relay next to the starter relay that clicks when all the power goes out, or does this sound like an ignition switch problem?

EDIT: Took battery to get load tested, its fine, all fuses fine, no loose or obvious broken connections.

Thanks for any help in advance, it's finally warm here in Michigan, and I want to ride!

Thanks again,

Robert

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Look carefully under the frame. I had a similar issue and it was a couple of coil wires grounding out on the underside.

·
Old Goat
26,941 Posts
REgardless take the time to clean the starter switch...good luck

·
Registered
14,476 Posts
I had a battery that went open once.
Ign on, lights On, hit starter switch, all lights dead. No click of the starter relay.
Recycled IGN switch, lights on, hit Starter switch, all dark.
Several bump starts as we stopped at a few places. Park for a good downhill.
New battery purchased, old battery tested at battery distribution center, it could provide 12 amps.

Most auto parts places use a crap tester. It does not load the battery.
NAPA uses a 100 amp load bank.
Yausa battery says if battery drops below 9.5 volts when cranking it is weak.
Every VTX owner should have a DMM to test with.

·
Registered
14,476 Posts
I had the same problem, drove me nuts. It turned out to be voltage regulator / stater
Took a while to find one but that did the trick, works and starts good now.
The led voltage measuring devices for about $3 each are good to add.
I also added a yellow led indicator that illuminates when voltage gets above 13.4 volts.
It was off and I noticed it, turned around and went home.
2nd stator/Rectifier/Regulator died.

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800R Lowered 2" Rhinehardt Flush Cut, Brown County X with Flames Air Box Cover
1,286 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts