Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 VTX that I've put 70K miles on "felt" like it needed a clutch. I have been riding my newer bikes mostly (2017+2018 Triumph Rocket III Roadsters) so it's possible the VTX was catching high all along. Based on mileage I paid $600 for a new clutch. Mechanic asked me if I wanted heavy duty springs. I told him no since the bike is too old to beat on. When I got it back the clutch catches just as high as ever. It doesn't seem to slip but I'm not 100% sure and don't like it catching so close to released anyway.
From what little I've read a clutch master cyl fluid flush could solve the problem? The mechanic said he didn't touch the hydraulic clutch fluid and it's rather yellow. Years ago when it needed replacement the clutch would not disengage (the opposite problem). Could both extremes be caused by this hydraulic system needing maint?

·
Registered
12,316 Posts
Replace the fluid. Check the lever bushing, seems to wear out.

Reactions: fastspek

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
As Hans said, at 70,000 miles the bushing in the clutch lever is probably shot. It is designed to be a wear item (brass vs. steel MC plunger). Mine was almost wore through at 50,000 miles. I work on bikes (all kinds) part time and I would never do a 'clutch job' without flushing and inspecting its very simple hydraulic actuator. To me that is second rate service.

Reactions: fastspek

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
It's possible the piston in the clutch slave cylinder is not retracting all the way. This would cause the actuator rod to be closer to the pressure plate and give you the feeling the clutch is releasing sooner than you would like. You might rebuild the slave cylinder and see if you feel a difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's possible the piston in the clutch slave cylinder is not retracting all the way. This would cause the actuator rod to be closer to the pressure plate and give you the feeling the clutch is releasing sooner than you would like. You might rebuild the slave cylinder and see if you feel a difference.
And clean the fluid return port in the bottom of clutch master. Very tiny port under round cover. If fluid doesnt return, the clutch will stay engaged to a degree due to pressure staying in the line. Numerous clutch troubleshooting on 02 1800 c lead me there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts