Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day,
As you might have guessed from the title I'm turbocharging my 2003 VTX1800c. There is no one main reason why I chose to go the turbo path. I was looking for a little more power, something to keep my hands busy, something a little different from the norm, a project I can work on at home when I'm not riding or working. My goal is to build this bike to the best quality I can with as much of the build as possible done myself and in the end get it passed by the engineers and registered.
Here's a pic of the bike. Currently sitting at 50 000kms. 10k I have put on myself.

Just letting you know I'm currently posting from a phone and I'm not sure how well it will work out. I'll get acces to a computer and start flooding your screens with pictures and information as soon as possible.
Here's a quick pic of the turbo I'll explain more about how and why I chose this one in my next post.

Cheers, Michael.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'll be following you very closely. I will be going turbo myself but I'm going the cheap way junkyard turbo from a few different cars. There is another member here that has already done this but is held up on the tuning end. Hopefully he will chime in and ideas or whatever it is you might need we could help. Im still new to this fourm and my vtx but have over 10 years of custom work. If you need help on my end please feel free to ask. Bikers and riders are family in my area.

·
Registered
860 Posts
That's BIGLRY's brother's bike. Big Larry is the admin on the California board. Pics are from 2008?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looks like the turbo builds are more common then not. Kinda wondering what way turbo is going to go.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Mine is at the tuner right now. I just changed back from an aftermarket cpu to the stock cpu with a PC V. He's going to see if it's possible to tune the bike with the PC V. It has 96 lb injectors, higher FPR(possibly going to use RR), and a CDI igntiion running close to 30 lbs of boost.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Mine is at the tuner right now. I just changed back from an aftermarket cpu to the stock cpu with a PC V. He's going to see if it's possible to tune the bike with the PC V. It has 96 lb injectors, higher FPR(possibly going to use RR), and a CDI igntiion running close to 30 lbs of boost.

Sweet. Keep me in the loop on how all goes. I may be interested in The Turbo idea. Haven't done anything to the VTX in a while. any idea of the Turbo cost plus its extras to make functional??:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
OP, good luck with your project! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Yes, also following. Got to do SOMETHING this winter.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Sweet. Keep me in the loop on how all goes. I may be interested in The Turbo idea. Haven't done anything to the VTX in a while. any idea of the Turbo cost plus its extras to make functional??:thumbup:
Ah,...therein lies the rub now doesn't it? Hanging the turbo on the exhaust pipe really is the easy part isn't it?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Just got an update from the tuner and he is able to use a PC V to tune the turbo bike. It will not work with the M&W ignition booster though. I haven't talked to dynojet yet about if there is a fix to be able to use the ignition booster, but it is yet to be determined if the ignition booster is necessary. So far it's at 198HP at 21 lbs of boost. He is going to keep turning it up until it starts blowing out the spark or blows up the motor, or whatever else is possible, then we will go from there. FYI, this is a bone stock motor(plus the turbo, bigger injectors and fuel pump). I bought the engine off ebay for $450 plus $200 for shipping and it had 54k miles on it, plus I put about another 500 drag strip miles on it((before I destroyed the custom flywheel which is why I need to go another route for fuel/spark management). Gotta love the VTX engine... He did say there is surging at 1800-2500rm that he hasn't be able to tune out, but that is the same problem that is always had. Stay tuned for more numbers...

·
Registered
476 Posts
That is some serious power. Keep us updated as the OP disappeared.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Yeah, sorry to hijack the thread... Got some not so good news, but a little expected. I've been using the turbo on the bike for about 2500 drag strip miles and I have no clue how much was put through it before me...the news is something is wrong with the turbo. The wastegate is warped or something along those lines. It will only make 23lbs of boost even with the wastegate wired shut. It made 208hp at 23 lbs of boost. I already had thoughts about putting a new turbo on it, so this gives me the fuel to do it. That will be a couple months until I put the time into it. At least we know an ignition booster is not needed and a pc v can be used to tune. I've made 28lbs of boost before and the size of the turbo and piping is capable of 30lbs of boost so stay tuned again. I will post the dyno sheet when I get it. At least we know right now 208hp at 23lbs on a stock engine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'll be following you very closely. I will be going turbo myself but I'm going the cheap way junkyard turbo from a few different cars. There is another member here that has already done this but is held up on the tuning end. Hopefully he will chime in and ideas or whatever it is you might need we could help. Im still new to this fourm and my vtx but have over 10 years of custom work. If you need help on my end please feel free to ask. Bikers and riders are family in my area.
Yeah, sorry to hijack the thread... Got some not so good news, but a little expected. I've been using the turbo on the bike for about 2500 drag strip miles and I have no clue how much was put through it before me...the news is something is wrong with the turbo. The wastegate is warped or something along those lines. It will only make 23lbs of boost even with the wastegate wired shut. It made 208hp at 23 lbs of boost. I already had thoughts about putting a new turbo on it, so this gives me the fuel to do it. That will be a couple months until I put the time into it. At least we know an ignition booster is not needed and a pc v can be used to tune. I've made 28lbs of boost before and the size of the turbo and piping is capable of 30lbs of boost so stay tuned again. I will post the dyno sheet when I get it. At least we know right now 208hp at 23lbs on a stock engine.
Hello, I really appreciate your comments, if you could give me some advice I would appreciate it for life. I am putting a turbo on my vtx 1800 and I am already doing the first tests, as soon as the boost starts to increase to 5 psi it turns on the F1 bulb , I am using an improved 255 lph walbro pump and an FMU to give it pressure as the turbo boost goes up. I am with the factory computer of the vtx and a power commander v. I feel the engine a little hot and it feels a little lacking of gasoline at high rpm, what do you think of my project and what do you recommend to make it look good

1 - 20 of 23 Posts