Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought new 08 1800N, fully stock no mods, added vtxexhaust.com pipes, now between upshifts experiencing a loud high pitch growling (like a semi coming to a quick stop), have spoken to several local mechanics, half say a fuel manager will resolve this as it's a product of a lean mixture, the other half say it's inherent with larger pipes and no way to get rid of it. I simulated a desmog by plugging the pair valve intake behind the air filter and it did not change anything. I don't think this is decel pop but could be wrong. No backfiring or popping just the loud high pitch growling between shifts. I've seen other bikes with this same sound and then others without it. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I struggled with the exact same thing for a while. It sounds like jake brakes on a semi right? I thought there was something wrong.
I have actually grown fond of the sound. On mine it was partially a decel pop and mostly just the design of the pipes. They are basically gutted pipes. You can reduce the sound by adding baffles. vtxexhaust sells them for $35 and you can wrap them with fiberglass. It reduces the sound but wont eliminate it. It also makes the pipes much quieter. I also added a PC3 and it got rid of the decel pop I was hearing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the sound. I don't mind it so much, but if my wife gets on it's pretty loud and annoying from the back seat. I put the baffles in and they sounded horrible, lots of whistling noises. When you say you wrapped them with fiberglass, what did you use, and how much did you put on? Does that get rid of the whistling? Also how much of the jake brake noise were you able to get rid of? I'm seriously thinking of sending the pipes back and trying a different brand. But not sure if other brands will also have this.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I had a similar sound on my old bike (Honda Sabre with Cobra pipes and home made thunder monster baffles).

The sound I had was more like a V8 with straight pipes when shifting, I describe it as a cackle. It only happened when shifting at fairly high RPM and letting off the throttle. I kind of liked the sound.

On my current bike 1800N, I have stock pipes for now but am likely going to be installing Big Shots and hope they sound deep and somewhat loud but hope they have that cackle sound too.

·
Registered
787 Posts
That's the sound. I don't mind it so much, but if my wife gets on it's pretty loud and annoying from the back seat. I put the baffles in and they sounded horrible, lots of whistling noises. When you say you wrapped them with fiberglass, what did you use, and how much did you put on? Does that get rid of the whistling? Also how much of the jake brake noise were you able to get rid of? I'm seriously thinking of sending the pipes back and trying a different brand. But not sure if other brands will also have this.
Honestly I haven't heard any whistling. I get that Jake Brake sound any time I zero the throttle in gear.

I got some fiberglass muffler packing from the local cycle store and wrapped the perforated parts of the baffles twice and then slid them back in. I think it was 1/2"thick. I had to trim the ends a bit. I see many people on here just use pipe insulation from Home Depot too. You might give that a try since it is very cheap. Basically just wrap them tight and secure with either wire or wrap it with saran wrap. It just melts away. Dont use tape or you will have a sticky mess if/when you pull them back out.
Oh yeah! Wear GLOVES if you do this. Trust me.....nojoke

I have the same sound (jake brake)with the cobraspeedster longs/efi box-though maybe it would go away with desmog/pair vale removal but after reading this does not sound that way
Desmog basically gave me more room under the tank to install things. I didnt notice anything else from it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good feedback from everyone, thanks. Looks like this will not go away, wondering now if it's a vtxexhaust.com issue or an issue that will show up on any aftermarket pipe I buy. Based on the equipment listed on everyones bike I don't think a fuel manager will take care of this. Sending the pipes back.

Anyone have a nice deep sounding (not too loud) set of pipes that do not do this?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Good feedback from everyone, thanks. Looks like this will not go away, wondering now if it's a vtxexhaust.com issue or an issue that will show up on any aftermarket pipe I buy. Based on the equipment listed on everyones bike I don't think a fuel manager will take care of this. Sending the pipes back.

Anyone have a nice deep sounding (not too loud) set of pipes that do not do this?
I am pretty sure it will show up in any pipes with a fairly large diameter and no baffles or very minimal ones.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Seems to be the nature of the beast. Any open pipes will sound like that. The only reason you couldn't hear it with the stock pipes is you can't hear ANYTHING. I have V&H pipes and I get that any time I run her up and let off the gas. My dad runs cobra pipes and they don't seem as bad but I also don't wail on his bike like I do mine. I used to catch crap from my harley riding friends "you need to knock the rice outa that thing",untill they realized if they want to talk they will have to listen to it the whole ride cause they can't pass the X!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From what I've learned from everyone I tend to agree. What still confuses me though is that I live on a heavily traveled road by cruisers and have been listening to all the exhausts since experiencing this. I hear many with the same issue and also many without, think I may never really figure this out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts