Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I am no expert. Not having a bike in almost 25 years. So when my wife tells me she is willing to buy me a Harely, Believe me I started looking and reading. So here it is, We can afford a Harley, however, when I look at spending $20,000 for, lets say a Dyna Wide Glide, out the door (this is what my brother paid for his) I am saying to myself, Two Pistons, Two Wheels and Two up for the price of a car? No, I can afford a Rolex watch, yet my Timex works just fine. I looked at all the manufacturers and Honda held my choice the best. Yet still the Harley name had a hold on me TILL I
#1 Rode one... Nice sound and image, yet the vibration was still there.
#2 Talked to Harley owners, one in paticular was a die hard Sposter fan (his bike vibrated so much that it made my decision easy) his bike was new, but his story's left me wondering
#3 Started pricing add on's
So the VTX kept coming up, good reviews, water cooled, drive shaft and add on's to give the machine a more personal touch.

The 1800 was more than I wanted to take on at this time, 1300 was our choice, Since my wife is on the bike as much as me, she choose the Retro, and listening to sound bites she choose the HK2.5's. Since everytime I start the bike up she is there with her helmet ready for a ride, she has alot of say in what goes into the bike. Our comfort is first and foremost, Choose Ultimate Seating for that cure, passenger floor boards (she loves them) Memphis Shades.
I will never race the bike, don't need to. I have Harley friends who tell me they won't ride with a Honda, which I am fine with that since my wife I ride alone most of the time, (My brother has no problem being seen with a honda). I am finding other VTX riders in the area to join up with.. My wife and I wave at all riders regardless of the response we get in return, its not about what you ride, but that you ride....
I like my VTX, and so does my wife, the bike turns heads and we wave in return. We like being on the road, and we enjoy all that ride, but for us the VTX won our hearts...... Let your heart choose your bike and say HI to all that ride, show your self to be friendly, and maybe others will be friendly to you.
Ride your choice with safety, and say Hi along the way...
Its Not A Matter Of Who Is Best.... Its The Ride

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
#1-Honda, good choice
#2-1300, good choice
#3-Retro, another good choice
#4-Color Black???????

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
You said "That-Which-Cannot-Be-Named" (stolen from another thread, and another author), I'm gonna tell!!! :lol:

Great words, words to live by, well said.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cody450 said:
#1-Honda, good choice
#2-1300, good choice
#4-Color Black???????
Sorry Cody, She choose Red NO You Can't Have her :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Malachi!!!
Im so glad you posted this because I am the same way. The VTX1300c was my choice, being 25 and single, and I absolutely love my bike. This is my first bike so I'm learning a lot from people here on the board and from friends around. My boss and her husband both are Harley people and like you said, it's not about what you ride, it's just that you do ride. Her husband is actually helping me tomorrow night put on my Vance & Hines Bigshots! Only reason I didn't get the HK3" was because I've heard nothing except after a while the chrome chips.

Your gonna come across bad apples that are Harley apples, but I think it's because our bikes look a little better and that there are unbeleivable amounts of accessories we can add, like a harley cannot. I honestly think our bikes look closer to choppers than any other.

At any rate, Great Post!! To all us new riders out there, rubber side down, chrome side up!!

Danny
Metallic Orange VTX1300c, Mountain Man hand paint job, Vance & Hines Bigshots...thats all for now... :D

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Malachi said:
Cody450 said:
#1-Honda, good choice
#2-1300, good choice
#4-Color Black???????
Sorry Cody, She choose Red NO You Can't Have her :D
Ohhhhhhhhh :cry: and you were doing so good up 'til that point! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ride Red !

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello Cody, I love your paint job, Nice touch

·
Registered
82 Posts
Very well said. I feel the same way .
Fredro

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I had an awasome experence on my recent vacation. In one hotel we stayed there was a group of 26 Harley riders coming back from Big Bend, Tx. They were extremely friendly making fun and taking jabs at us as we passed the pool where they were, while on our way to our room...["full leathers in the afternoon?" I hear one say as we walk by] I thought they were making fun because my wife and I were in our full riding gear even though it was warm...mid-80's...the next morning as we're having breakfast they are all talking to us telling us what a great time we're going to have. We saw them when they pulled out...full leathers and everyone had helmet on. Another group we meet up with and actually invited us to ride with them was, 1 Honda Areo, 2 RoadStars, 1 VStar, and a Harley. Great buch of people. We had a great time. I love it when it's about the riding, you can just tell a diffrence.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Great Post.
Great Color.
An interesting discussion I recently had was with a die hard Harley Guy. I let him take my X for a ride around the block. He loved it, but followed with the remark that they don't hold value like a Harley. I didn't mention it, but 3 nights before he was telling me that he wanted to trade his Harley for another model.....the same dealer that he bought the bike from would not give him enough for a trade in to make it worth while. He would have had to take a loss on the old bike to upgrade. I thought this was interesting that he told me this story, then 3 days later told me my Honda won't hold value. He was right, it might not, but his Harley doesn't either. Just goes to show.....
I think you chose well. I too will ride with anyone, and wave at all of them. Crotch Rockets too.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Well put. I feel the same way. Doesn't matter what you ride. We are all in the same position on the road!!!

The other day I passed a guy on a Sportster who was turning on the road I was on from a side street. Could tell by the look on his face that he was checking out my 1300C and trying to figure out what it was. Followed me for a while. Pulled up behind me at a stop light. Must have seen the "Honda" decal on the rear fender because at the next light he pulled up beside me and wouldn't even look at me or even acknowledge me. Then he tears off when the light turns green so he doesn't have to be next to me (slows down about 200 yards up). GET OVER YOURSELF!!!!

I have nothing against Harley owners and have friends with nice HDs. I figure its my money and I spend it on what makes me happy. If I can do it, with accessories and still have $7000 or more to play with, all the better!!!!

Safe riding to all!

·
Registered
808 Posts
TO all those who think that the only bike in the world should be Harley...get a friggin life. As for the old theory that a Harley is the only thing that appreciates after you buy it....get a friggin clue, the only thing in the world that appreciates AFTER you buy it is a house. Harley is a name, like corvette and ferreri, an name nothing else. My 1300C serves a purpose, I ride it every day, thats the reason I bought the bike, so I could ride every day and still have my kidneys. I will admit to owning a Harley, it's in my uncles shop being restified...it happens to be a rigid frame springer with a shovelhead for a motor, something I've always dreamed of having...something I'll be able to ride every day when it's completed? not really, so i'll keep my X for daily chores

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Orange Beast said:
Malachi!!!

Your gonna come across bad apples that are Harley apples, but I think it's because our bikes look a little better and that there are unbeleivable amounts of accessories we can add, like a harley cannot. I honestly think our bikes look closer to choppers than any other.

Danny
Metallic Orange VTX1300c, Mountain Man hand paint job, Vance & Hines Bigshots...thats all for now... :D
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm......we have like 20% of acsessories compared to Hd........and the VTX C or R is the polar opposite of a chopper.Maybe you were kidding.... :?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also ride with a group of Harley riders and they are a great bunch of guys. The best part about riding with them is that when we stop somewhere on a ride people always seem to be drawn to my ORANGE VTX. Doesn't matter if they are old or young but they all spend most of their gazing at the X. My buddies never say anything but I know what they are thinking. The truth is Harley has one thing over us and that is the name "Harley Davidson". They don't ride better, they don't look better, the obviously don't costs less and they are no where near maintenance free. Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing them I'm just stating the facts. Besides riding with Harley riders means we definitely get plenty of bathroom stops if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
it dosent matter what you ride, as long as its black!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Like I've put in previous posts...why does this only pertain to motorcycles. I drive a Pontiac Bonneville as my daily driver...do all the Harley riders drive american cars? I doubt it. I think its an ego thing and they need to park it at home. I ride my Honda because it rides great, fully dependable, looks fantastic and oh yeah....it's made in america by american workers trying to do the best job they can.

I have had both experiances...HD guys that are real nice...and others that are just plain pricks...but I would help either if they got stuck...wonder if they would do the same for me. To me riders are riders..I don't see why one feels they are better than another...I don't care about the brand, size or color.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts